Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Best Quiver Ski for Big Sky

Currently skiing on a 5 or so year old pair of Line Prophet 100's (186). I am 6' 200lbs and looking for something that skis similar that is fun all around the mountain (100-108 or so waist). I do not play in the park and I don't jump much. Like something that would be good on hard pack (groomers), crud and the occasional powder we get at BS. Also don't want a ski that is going to wear me out.....So far I have been looking at the skis below.

Nordica Enforcer
    Blizzard Peacemaker
    ON3P Wrenegade or Kartel
    Line SFB
    4FRNT Devastator
    Open to other suggestions as well....

Thanks guys!!!

Armada Invictus 108ti. Does what you're asking and you might not want a powder ski either.

Cham 107 2.0, mount at -1 to -1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Cham 107 2.0, mount at -1 to -1.5
    I haven't skied these but fondled them and skied with him while he was on them, not sure what the fuck that means. I have 191FATS and they have the same exact shape, just missing 10mm under foot. Great flex and looks like a killer one ski option. Not sure I would want just one ski for Big Sky since the snow is stupid light and more float would be nice on big days off the top. That said, that ski would be ton of fun and cover you for 75% of the days. That place eats skis for breakfast so I'd buy 2 pair of cheap skis you don't care about, if it were me.
    You've been on the same ski at BS for 5 years? How the heck? I was lucky to get a season out of a pair skiing there.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I haven't skied these but fondled them and skied with him while he was on them, not sure what the fuck that means. I have 191FATS and they have the same exact shape, just missing 10mm under foot. Great flex and looks like a killer one ski option. Not sure I would want just one ski for Big Sky since the snow is stupid light and more float would be nice on big days off the top. That said, that ski would be ton of fun and cover you for 75% of the days. That place eats skis for breakfast so I'd buy 2 pair of cheap skis you don't care about, if it were me.
    You've been on the same ski at BS for 5 years? How the heck? I was lucky to get a season out of a pair skiing there.
    I can attest to the base durability of the chams, you know my home hill grows dagger rocks too.

I think if I were you I'd go 3 ski quiver, a 70mm groomer ripper for man-made/ice age skiing, a mid fat (ie Cham 107) for 80% of the skiing you'll do, and then something stupid and floaty for the rare ultra deep days (ie protests, l138, etc.)

BS is on another level when it comes to eating skis.

A 70mm ski is useless in my eyes for BS. That looks place rarely sees ice. They don't get the rain freeze like we do. I agree on the 190ish 107 and a 196 ProTest 2 ski quiver though. That would be a killer 2 ski quiver there or most places for that matter.

Most definitely. Andecite grabs!

A 70mm ski is useless in my eyes for BS.
    I would not bring it even if you are 100% groomers.

. That looks place rarely sees ice.
    I also don't find their crud anything like Sierra crud. Sierra chop is way heavier: higher water content / much colder in bs.

I'd take a 108-115 waisted ski. No metal.

A 70mm ski is useless in my eyes for BS. That looks place rarely sees ice. They don't get the rain freeze like we do. I agree on the 190ish 107 and a 196 ProTest 2 ski quiver though. That would be a killer 2 ski quiver there or most places for that matter.
    I've only skied there once, so take that suggestion with a salt grain. I just know I like to have something narrow and grippy once in a while.

My top 3 right now are the Salomon QST106, the Elan Ripstick 106 and next year's Dynastar Legend 106. Aforementioned Invictus 108 and Black Crows Atris (changing for the better next year) are also in the same class, but may not have quite the same universal appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    My top 3 right now are the Salomon QST106, the Elan Ripstick 106 and next year's Dynastar Legend 106. Aforementioned Invictus 108 and Black Crows Atris (changing for the better next year) are also in the same class, but may not have quite the same universal appeal.
    The Dynastar 106 is high on my list of skis to demo. Awesome looking dimensions.

190 Q Labs from last year. That ski would crush it at a mountain like Big Sky.
    What do you mean by occasional powder?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I use a SFB in a 184 for skiing Telluride in soft snow conditions. Really easy to ski/forgiving, responsive, works well in bumps, trees, steeps, powder, fast turning-but not hooky or unpredictable-
    crud-OK-gets thrown around a little- might be a little soft for hardback steeps and firm groomers-
    If I were to buy another pair I'd get a 192- they ski a bit short. I'm 180 #s and sometimes I wish I had more ski.

Thanks guys!! Tons of love for the dynastar....

No love for the Devastator, Peacemaker or Enforcer? Now I have more options!!

I have the Devastator for Tahoe crud skiing and days after a storm. I like them for those conditions and I got them new for ~300. I'd rather have a narrower ski for hard pack / groomers and go with a 98 mm ski. I have the GPO for powder days, I'm old school and don't need a super wide ski.

189 Wren 108 seems like a good choice, but I ain't skied BS.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Had a blast on my Elan Spectrum 105s a couple years ago. Had some sub-100 Icelantics that had me wishing for something else. It'll be Elan Ripstick 96 & 116 next time out.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I can vouch for Fischer Ranger 106 (I think the new models are 108?) at Big Sky. At least from a durable base when subjected to BS rocks perspective. Good on groomers, great in crud, good in fluff. I've got the 190s at 6'1" and 175.

Only negative marks are the topsheet durability is pretty poor.

Q-Lab, and QST 106 from Salomon come to my mind first. Preference for the former. Wrenegade 108 is a great ski, but I didn't find it especially playful. I own the K108 and found it more fun on groomers compared to any of the above, while still very comfortable bashing through crud. ON3P's base durability is top notch but I don't know what, if anything is up to the big sky challenge in that regard.

^^^Kartel 108?? How does it compare to the Wren?

Why not a Line Supernatural? The Enforcer is probably next closest in feel after that. The Q-Lab is another good option. All are exciting and playful groomer skis. Most of the rest of these suggestions aren't necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Why not a Line Supernatural? The Enforcer is probably next closest in feel after that. The Q-Lab is another good option. All are exciting and playful groomer skis. Most of the rest of these suggestions aren't necessarily.
    Supernatural or Sick Day would be great, as I've owned both, but never had them out west. I've heard some not-so-great feedback in regard to durability of the bases though, but can't comment personally on that since I only had them on groomers.
    Gravity. It's the law.

What did you end up going with?

Bridger isn't bad
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

My bases are going to be put to the test.

Rx will be my daily driver, if everything goes as planned

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    My bases are going to be put to the test.

Rx will be my daily driver, if everything goes as planned
    Core shot repairs are cheap at BS. The shops make their profit on volume. We were there in March--waiting in the tram line looking at locals' bases was interesting.