Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    I have pictures of that. I was flying a tanker above it. Totally surreal.
    Post them up, baller
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Hmmm...

I have had a couple moments hiking at dusk in the real remote valleys in the Cascades where I felt like I could be food. Brush on either side of the trail, no line of sight. Not weird, but definitely creepy.

My Dad was a psychiatrist for the State and the VA for many years so I've been in a lot of mental hospitals. I guess it seemed normal to him but I never got used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Hmmm...

I have had a couple moments hiking at dusk in the real remote valleys in the Cascades where I felt like I could be food. Brush on either side of the trail, no line of sight. Not weird, but definitely creepy.
    Heh. Working in the valley bottom at the head of the Duncan R. reservoir, beating a line transect through lush herbaceous nettle, bracken fern, devil's club 3m+ tall. And then breaking through onto a well beaten path like a tunnel under the growth. Felt like a reprieve from the vegetation until a few moments later when you realize the griz and moose that created and maintained the trail...
    Definitely got the hairs on the back of the neck rising.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Bethel, Alaska, weirder than Adak. Also Hughes Alaska, and Venetie AK.

Rock Springs, Wyoming belongs here. And Borrego Mesa NM. Trona, CA. Tonopah, NV.

I could, and might, go on.
    But have you been to the underground city, fallout shelters or the 7 doors of doom on Adak. That is some freaky shit. But I have never been to bethel.

There was a story in one of the local papers here. Gates Rubber had a factory here for a lot of years. Shut down many years ago, sitting vacant and run down. A few people broke in to make photography. Started walking through a completely dark section. Dude falls down an open elevator shaft for like a floor or two, falls in a waist deep puddle of collected haz mat fluids. Acetone, Benzine, who knows what kinds of industrial carcinogenic solvents. Like that's not enough, a piece of rebar goes through his thigh. Can't remember how they got him out, but dude wasn't doing so hot by the time they wrote the story...

This may be the story. Didn't end well. http://www.westword.com/news/lawsuit...-trial-5850390

Last night of a business trip staying in Hong Kong and looking for decent faulexes for me and another guy I worked with. Ran across a guy who was selling watches in the street and said ok so we head into an unmarked alley. Then to a door he had to knock at and be let in. Down a hall to an elevator. Up the elevator. And I'm thinking I could disappear. Down another hall and to a door with a secret knock to be let in.

Turned out ok. But was a tense adventure at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Hmmm...

Had a similar one hiking back to the campground up in the Sawtooth Mtns NE of Yellowstone. Early evening after fishing down a chain of streams and little lakes. The trail is mainly in fields but occasionally went up through trees and scrub. Even with the bear spray and pistol and extra mags I was whistling loud through those narrow spots. Definitely felt I was being watched by bears or cougars. And not the hot two legged ones.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I'm guessing you're high.
    Weirdest place I ever went was taking LSD at school in jr high. Definitely not high now.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by bigt View Post
    But have you been to the underground city, fallout shelters or the 7 doors of doom on Adak. That is some freaky shit. But I have never been to bethel.
    Never been to Hughes but I've been all over Adak and been to bethel a few times. Got nothing on Shageluk.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Strip club on Long Island with ugly old ladies dancing. Not only creepy, but a real shithole.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Strip club on Long Island with ugly old ladies dancing. Not only creepy, but a real shithole.
    You must've been day drinking. The nice ladies come in at night.

Motel 6 in Eugene, Oregon.

Creepiest/Weirdest Place You've Been

The doomsday bunker under DIA and tunnel to Cheyenne Mtn.

Quote Originally Posted by bigt View Post
    I haven't been in that. I would imagine that it's super creepy though.

Abandoned burial chapel in the middle of a large cemetery on Halloween night. Hanging out in the crypts with a bunch of punks and goths listening to Bauhaus by candle light.

Not a creepy place per se, but a person. In college at UC Davis we used to grab mass quantities of beer at Olive Drive Deli. One of our regular Friday drinking buddies was Robert Smith.

Robert dressed punky, had a haircut that was half-Mohawk, half-shaved, and turned us on to U2 "War." Robert was a frat brother of some other friends and dated one of our female friends a few times. Robert always seemed a bit unhinged, but he was funny and had good music. He dated one of our friends but she got a weird vibe and we told her to go with her feelings and stop gong out with him. Turns out Robert was an axe murderer.

Robert had been having a gay relationship with his friend Gary, but Gary was married with a baby on the way. Robert saw Gary's wife, Annie, and impending baby as "being in the way." So, Robert dressed himself up like a "cholo" one night, laid in wait for two hours, and entered Gary's house with a hatchet.

Annie had been sleeping, and when Robert entered the house, she said, "Gary?" Robert proceeded to hit her over 50 times with the hatchet. She fought back and the battle for her life took 20 minutes.

Robert is serving two life terms with no possibility of parole for killing Annie and the unborn fetus after laying in wait.

See: http://law.justia.com/cases/californ.../188/1495.html

Johannesburg, South Africa. Intense fear vibe; couldn't wait to GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    My Dad was a psychiatrist for the State and the VA for many years so I've been in a lot of mental hospitals. I guess it seemed normal to him but I never got used to it.
    Heh, First thing that came to mind when I saw this thread title was a HS sociology class field trip to the old Bridgewater State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. Why we thought it was a good idea to get high first is beyond me now.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Heh, First thing that came to mind when I saw this thread title was a HS sociology class field trip to the old Bridgewater State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. Why we thought it was a good idea to get high first is beyond me now.
    Yeah he was the psychiatrist in charge of that place for many years (it's still there and probably just the same as it was I bet) and at the Brockton VA pyschiatric hospital, both really hard-core places. Brockton has some sections for milder patients and some completely locked-down sections.

For a while he was superintendent at the Gardner State Hospital and they gave him a house on the grounds, it came with the job. The place was huge, over 7000 acres, and the house was way out in the farm fields far from the buildings which were all at one end of the place. Sometimes we'd go out there to the house for the weekend, it was actually beautiful countryside.

My brother and I used to ride our bikes down to the hospital itself and shoot hoops in this courtyard in the middle of the buildings. If you can hit a jump shot while some guy is screaming that he wants to rip your eyes out and is literally throwing himself at the security screen in a window 50 feet away from you trying to get to you, well son, you got game.
    Last edited by iceman; 02-21-2017 at 09:04 AM.

The first dead body that I ever saw was on the sidewalk in Utica, NY in the late 70's. The mental institutions were being emptied but the money for the promised outpatient support never materialized. Guess the guy couldn't cope so he took off all of his clothes and dove off a 6 story building about 1-2 minutes before I saw him.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

driving through Flatbush Brooklyn circa 1985
    pure culture shock for me
    had to stop and walk around

when I arrived at my Sisters apartment in a nicer area of Brooklyn and told my Brother in-law who grew up there, he freaked out and read me the riot act.
    I told him "forget about it" trying to make light of the situation....he was not impressed

his words "you're lucky those moolies didn't fuck you up"

after that the fear set in.
    being young and bold isn't always a good thing
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

Generic, but the most creeped out I've ever been was exploring the Overbrook Asylum in Cedar Grove NJ.

Unfortunately, I believe it's being demo'd currently.

So, what's the creepiest place you've been? Whether it be something supernatural, crime ridden area, whatever...
    Funny you'd mention overbrook. Was the place we'd end up at late at night usually lsd was a factor. right after it closed, they literally emptied out all of the patients and left it standing there fully equipped. Talk about dark. Hah walking the rooflines tripping face - explains a lot later in life.

For me, trucking was an exercise in going to weird and creepy places.

There's a desperation and physical emptiness in Flint and Detroit that sometimes feels creepy, but mostly just sad. On the other hand, East St. Louis IL felt predatory and actively hostile.

West Memphis and Gary Indiana just felt skeezy and dirty.

Driving in the Arkansas hills and rural New Mexico was scary because there were so many drunks all over the road and they both felt pretty out of control, like the road might just be washed out around the next corner or there might be some pickup truck skidding into your lane at any time.

The places that felt creepy (to me...)....the OH/KY/WV area. It's that "the hills are alive" feeling. Drug zombies, police who don't care about "yankees". Just feels like you could get a flat tire and disappear into one of those barns. ugh...
    Also working in the woods outside of Ft. Bragg CA in the late 90s it always felt like people were watching you... That feeling when you're out there working a forestry job and you smell vegetative pot is such a moment, because for a second it's like "hey, pot...cool", then you're like "oh yeah, gangsters, machine guns, middle-of-nowhere, booby-traps, shit". creepy.

One night my fire crew slept next to the truck on a dusty dozer track out fighting fire on the Vermejo Park Ranch north of Cimarron NM. When I woke up there were paw prints all over the fine dirt around me, dusty paw prints on the hood and windshield of the pickup. Mountain lions had walked all around me while I slept, jumped up on the truck and walked around. Creepy.

I used to surf a lot at Crescent Beach in Washington. One time it snowed and the same thing happened. Came out of the water and there were cat tracks all over the trail and around the truck. The hills are alive with monsters. Creepy.

Those people in Colorado City Utah are creepy as fuck, everyone is watching everything. Couldn't wait to get out of that place too.

I feel like if I thought about this long enough there would be plenty more....it's a big weird world out there.