Thread: 3 weeks in Italy

3 weeks in Italy

I'm going to Italy for 3 weeks at the end of march beginning of April with my wife & youngest daughter. We're going to Sardinia to visit my middle daughter for about a week, other than that we have no solid plans yet. Any great suggestions from the maggotry?
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Bring at least one pair of pants that are big on you. After 3 weeks they might fit perfect
    All kidding aside make your way to Rome. I'm sure there's a ferry that goes there on a regular basis.
    So envious....enjoy
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Wife and daughter? Set a cap on a $ amount for leather goods before you go.

PM Benny Profane, he's a local.
    I still call it The Jake.

I have never been to Rome, but, that can't be hard to take. I could spend two or three days just in the Vatican art collection. I may see it along with Sicily in the fall.
    If you decide to immediately hit Rome or a big city, do not rent a car. Save that for when you leave for the country. Rent a small car, out at the airport, like a Fiat 500 or Strada, which will do just fine, even on the highway, max two people and luggage. Anything larger just won't fit in the streets of the small hill town cities that, of course, you want to visit. Gas is expensive, so, the more miserly, the better, too. Download the nav app HERE, which is pretty awesome, and uses no data. Also download the Italy extension, of course. Not only a great driving app, but very handy in small to large cities, too, just walking around. Be careful following speed limits - cameras are everywhere, and the rental car companies will send you the bill.
    We were there two years ago for two weeks, and drove from Rome right out of the airport (bypassing the city) to Tuscany, Umbria (Assisi), back to Chianti, Maranello/Modena, Venice, Lake Como, the Piemonte, and Milan. All of that wasn't very hectic for two weeks. It would be a good time to see Venice, before the summer tourist season, which is a madhouse, I am told, but still crowded. Milan is a big, healthy, fast paced city, much like NYC. Lacks charm, but makes up for it in attitude and pace. Lake Como is gorgeous. Stay in Varenna. That can be a day trip from Milan, too. Florence is awesome. As a matter of fact, I think it would be best to concentrate just in Tuscany. Spend two or three days in Florence, bus (not train) to Siena for a day or two, and then rent a car and see the rest of that region - Pienza, Montepulciano, Cortona, Volterra, Lucca, over to Chianti, and whatever small towns may strike your fancy. Try an agriturismo or two to get the local flavor out in the country, hopefully one with a good restaraunt attached. It's pretty hard to get a bad meal or even a mediocre glass of red wine served to you.

Tripadvisor is your friend when researching your trip. And Rick Steves never steered me in the wrong direction.

Here, here's a few TRs I posted about my last trips. Good luck!

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...hlight=Ferrari

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ighlight=Italy

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...hlight=Tuscany

Oh, and, check out Trip to Italy on Netflix. Luscious travelogue.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 02-20-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Try the food.

Oh and go to Modena and rent a Ferrari.

Should be a good time of year for Rome I think. Not hot and less tourists than later on. Bring good walking shoes.
    Last edited by iceman; 02-20-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Cervinia underneath the Matterhorn is amazing, you are so close to it! and can ski the glacier if you wanted to
    just up the Aosta valley to
    Courmayeur is beautiful too and you could take the tram across the Mont Blanc massif to the Aiguille du Midi, which is phenomenal!

Venice is amazing and perhaps you are early enough to avoid the madness, otherwise just plan to go out and wander and get lost in the passageways, canals, and bridges at night

The Vatican museum into the Sistine Chapel is beautiful and awe inspiring but the crowds can really test one's nerves, St. Paul's Cathedral is impressive in its wanton opulence and much easier to get in and out of

The Colosseum was awesome to cruise around in and envision the actions that once took place there.
    The Spanish Steps are a stairway that leads down to the Gucci store

Next time I visit I will go to Pompei, Florence, and do the Cinque Terre hike

Have you ever had wine?
    They have it there

I don't believe the tram across the vallee blanche is open at that time of year. The first lap, up to Heilbrenner (?sp) Point should be open. I love the Italian side of Mt Blanc but it would be a long drive to get there--save it for another time. At the time you are going big cities are your best bet. Rome, Venice, Florence--for sure. Don't try to do too much. At least 3-4 days at each of the above. My son liked Naples. Cinque Terra would be for the summer. Try not to be in Venice at high water--I imagine you can google when the tides are supposed to be high. Be prepared for less than perfect weather. Milan has a wonderful duomo but not much else to see other than fancy shops.

If you don't want to fly to the main land find a ferry route map. It shows some good options.
    i.e. From Genoa there are so many places to travel by train like Cinque Terre then on to Florence and so forth
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Big cities I'd put Florence on the top of my list.

Cinque Terre was fantastic but I did it in the summer and enjoyed the seaside.

Most recently we did northern Italy and Emilia Romagna. Basically YouTube Bourdains episode of No Reservations: Emilia Romagna with Chef Michael White and we did approximately that. Except renting a Ferrari, but they rented a California so you could say they didn't do it right either. Anyway the factory/museum is worth a stop I think Benny had a TR of it.

We did Lake Como on the same trip and sprung for Villa D'Este. Pricey but it's about as classic as it gets there in terms of experience. Later moved on to a villa we rented with some friends

Just eat. Eat, eat, eat, and drink your way
    I still call it The Jake.

We stayed at Villa D'este too, that place was pretty cool. Took a speedboat tour of the lake, buzzed George Clooney's and Rchard Branson's pads, went over to Bellagio and tied up, walked around and had lunch. That was fun.

Venice later in the day wandering like a few already said. Then dinner at a street cafe and hang with the locals. It gets quiet, families come out, fantastic.

Rome and Pisa are unbelievable, unbelievable if you don't get your pocket picked...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Rome and Pisa are unbelievable, unbelievable if you don't get your pocket picked...
    I've found this threat to be over estimated imo. Be smart and pay attention when you are around crowds and you'll be fine.

I love Rome and could easily spend 2 weeks there. If you like art, try to book a nighttime tour of the Vatican museums. Much less crowded. Book directly through the Vatican instead of a tour reseller. Much cheaper that way.

My wife was much more a fan of Florence. I found Florence a bit too Disneyfied, but the art was amazing. Do a little bit of research and find a good restaurant and get the steak florentine. Renting a car and touring Tuscany is also a good time.

If you are a fan of history, check out the podcast "The History of Rome". I found it gave all the ruins much more context.

Great, now I'm craving a good espresso and Danish for breakfast.

Rick Steves' guides are very good for telling you how to avoid lines by buying passes, making reservations etc ahead of time.
    One museum in Rome a lot of people miss is the Gallery Borghese in the Villa Borhese. Incredible lifelike Bernini sculptures, and Caravaggios. It was quite a few years ago but we had to make reservations on line ahead of time, no walk-up admissions. If there is any way to skip the line for the Vatican Museum definitely do it. Go on the roof of St Peter's. The statues on top of the facade are perfectly proportioned when seen from St Peter's Square below; when seen up close and level they are grossly distorted--somehow the sculptors were able to carve the statues so that they looked right when seen from below.

In Rome and Florence we hired guides and it was worthwhile for the cultural stuff, they knew where they were going and the good times to go, they got us tickets in advance to stuff so we didn't have to wait in line, both guides were very good and worthwhile, not sure what it cost but I can get the info from my wife including the people's names I'm sure, if you're interested PM me.

3 weeks in Italy

I spent a lot of time in Italy the last five years, including three trips to Venice, (mostly northern Italy), PM me if you want details.
    Last edited by plugboots; 02-21-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Do you have any photos of the wife and 2 daughters? I could give a more accurate account if I knew what i was dealing with.
    Florence and Pisa close to each other and lovely don't miss out Venice it's amazing. Also you could go south of Rome we went to Sorrento last year that was lovely and loads to do around the amalfi coast area. Italy is a gold mine for site seeing and experiences
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    In Rome and Florence we hired guides and it was worthwhile for the cultural stuff, they knew where they were going and the good times to go, they got us tickets in advance to stuff so we didn't have to wait in line, both guides were very good and worthwhile, not sure what it cost but I can get the info from my wife including the people's names I'm sure, if you're interested PM me.
    Yeah, guides aren't really too pricey, considering what you get out of it for the money. I followed an American family around using one in the Sienna duomo for a while, and learned a lot. I think Rick Steves tells you how to find one who you can depend on. Like all professions, the Italian government vets and licenses them.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Any restaurant recs in both Florence and Rome? Friends are former restaurant foodies - so, local and good, rather than touristy - thanks!!! Going beginning of March!!

Also OP, pre ticket purchase for Uffizi and David in Florence very wise!! Will report any new goods after return!!

3 weeks in Italy

Go to lake como and stay in bellagio, not varenna. Benny is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I spent a lot of time in Italy the last five years, including three trips to Venice, (mostly northern Italy), PM me if you want details.
    Italy? Or China?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    Go to lake como and stay in bellagio, not varenna. Benny is wrong
    Not in March/April. But if anyone does drive to Bellagio--don't drive to Bellagio. Drive to Menaggio and take the car ferry to Bellagio. Much faster, safer, and lower stress. Our GPS told us to do this but we ignored it, to our regret. And don't drive to the Cinque Terra--the train is much easier. Not much to do there besides the hike which is nice but no big deal. That's the point of the place.