Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    there are testers besides the vermont manual tester... there are semi-automated systems by montana etc

but not even owning a tester in the shop?
    well thats why I brought the subject up eh becuz I do live in a foreign country so its been a long time since i been in Vermont or Montana so I havent seen one, and so we aren't in the middle of nowhere but you can see nowhere from here, I think we were up to 5 ski shops in town (now down to 3) and even tho this is the kind of shit i notice I don't remember the last time I seen a binding test in use or hangin on a wall up here

protect my friends from what ... a run on personal injury lawyers?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I don't know dude. Do/say whatever you want.

I'd be embarrassed if I ran a ski shop and somebody was saying I had never tested the bindings I rent and sell....it's an integral part of renting and selling bindings in a professional way.

Vermont and Montana are the names of manufacturers of some of these testing tools and equipment....use of the tools and equipment isn't specific to those locations. In fact, if I'm not mistaken the Montana company is based in Switzerland.

Good a place as any to ask. Way back in the day on Salomon 747 equipe bindings I would crank them up for bump skiing. The binding felt at the higher DIN settings that it was stiffer in terms of ability to absorb shock as compared to running the bindings at a lower number. I generalized this sensation to bindings at high end dins can ski stiffer and for me more knee pain. Not sure if is an unfounded subjective generalization or if it is real. Don't alter my DIN any more.

seems like there's too much going on there to really speculate.
    The elastic travel you have in that toepiece is going to be stiffer at a higher DIN than at a lower DIN for sure. There's the psychological aspect of knowing your bindings are at a higher DIN...that could contribute to an enhanced sensation of knee vulnerability. You're also doing shit that's going to beat your body up more at the same time...so just being sore the next day might have something to do with altering the stiffness of the elastic travel or it might have to do with noticing soreness more because you know you set your DIN higher or it might have to do with just skiing really hard. Or some idiosyncratic combination of those. It would be really hard to accurately account for what you felt all these years later.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I don't know dude. Do/say whatever you want.

I'd be embarrassed if I ran a ski shop and somebody was saying I had never tested the bindings I rent and sell....it's an integral part of renting and selling bindings in a professional way.

Vermont and Montana are the names of manufacturers of some of these testing tools and equipment....use of the tools and equipment isn't specific to those locations. In fact, if I'm not mistaken the Montana company is based in Switzerland.
    read the post and notice it was all about DIN or/and binding testers, I merely pointed out I don't ever see binding testers or testing up here so I asked some people who are/were in the business and they don't seem all that worried about it either and so I ask why?

I already know I'm right but now I'm interested in finding out why ... arent you ?

BTW you probably wana git yer "dry humor" meter calibrated eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Good a place as any to ask. Way back in the day on Salomon 747 equipe bindings I would crank them up for bump skiing. The binding felt at the higher DIN settings that it was stiffer in terms of ability to absorb shock as compared to running the bindings at a lower number. I generalized this sensation to bindings at high end dins can ski stiffer and for me more knee pain. Not sure if is an unfounded subjective generalization or if it is real. Don't alter my DIN any more.
    makes sense. At the lower DIN you're experiencing the elastic travel of the binding. At the higher DIN there's not enough force to move the binding unless you take a bad fall, so no elastic travel. The point of elastic travel is to allow you to use a lower setting without pre-releasing.
    Last edited by old goat; 02-26-2017 at 11:29 PM.