Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ON3P BG vs Bent Chetler

I'm in the market for a new set of skis to add to my quiver. I've been riding my 2017 Blizzard Bonafides all season but in the deeper stuff they just don't cut it. I just turned 26 and I am 5'7" 175lbs and in pretty good shape (workout regularly and live a healthy lifestyle).

I've been doing a shit ton of research and have narrowed it down to either the new ON3P BG or the Bent Chetler.

I'm looking for a backcountry powder/big mountain ski but also a ski that I can use for a few days at the resort if I have to. A ski that can handle the deep stuff but can also cut through the crud and make it down groomers that's why I was leaning towards the ON3P BG. I like to hit jumps (cliffs, natural jumps or even terrain park jumps) and do butters. I stay away from boxes and rails so jibbing doesn't matter. A ski that's stable in the air and a ski that I can land switch on when I do a 180 or 540 or even take off switch on, my Bonafides aren't the best for any of this just hard chargers meant to be skied aggressively. I ski big bowls, chutes, couloirs, moguls, trees, powder and everything in between and for an all mountain ski it's not too bad but I want something fatter and more playful. A ski that excels in deeper snow but can also rip down groomers at the end of the day. I've read that BG can make pretty good turns in tight trees so that was also appealing to me.

Along with the ski recommendation if you'd like to recommend a size and mounting point I would love to hear opinions on that as well. I know i've read a lot about not mounting BGs too far forward. I've done a ton of research but I cannot find much on the newest models of all these skis. Any input is greatly appreciated also if you would like to recommend a ski besides the ON3P BG or Bent Chetler go ahead and recommend it just please explain WHY you are recommending it.

Thanks again.

Fatter and more playful you say? How about Melissa McCarthy?

Thanks for the repetitive novel full of things we don't care about. Now show us some pics of your girlfriend, sister, wife, or mom's tits, or gtfo. JONG

ON3P BG vs Bent Chetler

Go with the fat red ones.

In all seriousness, I ski Bents on any day over 5". Love em: playful everywhere including trees, stiff enough with the carbon stringers so you can charge with confidence. They have a lot of rocker in the front and back. I think the BG is more directional?

Post those girlfriend/wife nude pics now ✌️

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Go with the fat red ones.

In all seriousness, I ski Bents on any day over 5". Love em: playful everywhere including trees, stiff enough with the carbon stringers so you can charge with confidence. They have a lot of rocker in the front and back. I think the BG is more directional?

Post those girlfriend/wife nude pics now ✌️
    Thanks for the helpful reply. I would post pics but I don't want to disrespect NW_SKIERs mom and sister like that.

Sorry guys

4frnt Kye 120 2017 it will do what you asked for.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I have the second year Billy Goats (supposedly less hooky on firmer stuff than the first year, but before RES). I like them a good deal. I find them quite playful and poppy, but be aware, they aren't a noodly ski. They like to go when you hit the fall line and I'm not sure they'd be the best choice for things like nose butters compared to something like the Bent Chetler (but as someone who doesn't do nose butters, I don't know for sure). I'm sure you could land switch on them, but the tail isn't THAT splayed and given the stiffness I again think that the Bent Chetler might be closer to what you're looking for.

Now, my skis are a different model than the newest model, but I think the newest models intent is fairly similar. It's just not quite as powder jibby a ski as a Bent Chetler. On the bright side, mine do great cutting through/bouncing over crud. I imagine they'd outperform the Bent Chetler there.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    4frnt Kye 120 2017 it will do what you asked for.
    Thanks for the recommendation I'll do some research and check them out also. I'm not completely set on the BG or Bent Chetler just saw people recommend and speak highly of both a lot. Appreciate the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I have the second year Billy Goats (supposedly less hooky on firmer stuff than the first year, but before RES). I like them a good deal. I find them quite playful and poppy, but be aware, they aren't a noodly ski. They like to go when you hit the fall line and I'm not sure they'd be the best choice for things like nose butters compared to something like the Bent Chetler (but as someone who doesn't do nose butters, I don't know for sure). I'm sure you could land switch on them, but the tail isn't THAT splayed and given the stiffness I again think that the Bent Chetler might be closer to what you're looking for.

Now, my skis are a different model than the newest model, but I think the newest models intent is fairly similar. It's just not quite as powder jibby a ski as a Bent Chetler. On the bright side, mine do great cutting through/bouncing over crud. I imagine they'd outperform the Bent Chetler there.
    Thank you for the helpful and informative reply it's much appreciated I will take all of that into consideration when making my decision. Going off of your post I'm now leaning a bit towards the Bent Chetlers. I am also going to do some research on the 4frnt Kye that was recommended.

Kye is nit super playful though but can certainly land / take off switch. In the 189 cm it turns plenty quick in soft snow. great resort pow ski. It can mach groomers well enough... but it's a fucking groomer so if you want the groomert best change to your bonafides. In tracked out bumps the kye is a handful at 123cm underfoot.

Watch a kye Peterson video and you will see what they are designed for.
    Last edited by skinipenem; 02-18-2017 at 09:47 AM. Reason: H

Kye is nit super playful though but can certainly land / take off switch. In the 189 cm it turns plenty quick in soft snow. great resort pow ski. It can mach groomers well enough... but it's a fucking groomer so if you want the groomert best change to your bonafides. In tracked out bumps the kye is a handful at 123cm underfoot.

Watch a kye Peterson video and you will see what they are designed for.
    Thanks for the info I will watch the video as soon as I get home from work. Definitely still leaning towards the Bent Chetler.

Anyone know if the Bent Chetler is good at taking off and landing switch? I'm new to powder/big mountain skis so sorry for all the questions. I've been to a few forums but you guys are definitely the most helpful. Thanks again for all the replies

Kartel 116 is what you're after.

Praxis MVP
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I have no idea how you concluded the BG was what you're after. The Kartel 116 would be a much better choice.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I have no idea how you concluded the BG was what you're after. The Kartel 116 would be a much better choice.
    I don't know either lol I did a ton of reading and research and I guess I just came to the wrong conclusion or was misinformed on other forums. I'm glad I signed up here and I'm glad you guys are giving me some solid advice.

Guess I will be looking into the Kartel 116, Bent Chetler and Praxis MVP so far. Got a lot to research after work.

Don't get me wrong, the BG is probably my favorite pow ski—it's just not good for switch landings or take-offs.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Where do you live? Where do you ski? Go demo some skis.

Where do you live? Where do you ski? Go demo some skis.
    I live in Cleveland, Ohio all we have are bunny hills and terrain parks when and IF they are even open. I do a lot of traveling to ski. I go out west mostly and to Killington when I can't make it out west. I'm looking for a pow ski/big mtn because i'm going to start staying at Whistler and Revel for weeks during the winter. I do construction and work weekends all year so that I can ski all winter. But Tahoe, Jackson Hole, CO (all resorts never stick to one always move around), BC and i'm planning a trip to Japow next winter with some friends.

Lots of construction work in seattle right now to build all the hipster tech geek's apartment buildings and offices. Actually, on second thought, Cleveland to Alta might be a shorter commute that Seattle to Crystal some days.

You want kartel 116s, they have much more of a backbone than bentchetlers and are still a super fun playful ski. Landing switch in pow on the BG is a no go but they are also amazing pow skis but would be more comparable to the bonafides you have now as in a directional ski.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Lots of construction work in seattle right now to build all the hipster tech geek's apartment buildings and offices. Actually, on second thought, Cleveland to Alta might be a shorter commute that Seattle to Crystal some days.
    A ton in Denver too and a shortage of contractors. Been saving up a year and a half to make the move out to CO hopefully within the next year I can make it happen. Nothing good in Ohio at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    You want kartel 116s, they have much more of a backbone than bentchetlers and are still a super fun playful ski. Landing switch in pow on the BG is a no go but they are also amazing pow skis but would be more comparable to the bonafides you have now as in a directional ski.
    Definitely leaning towards the Kartel 116s after so many people recommending them.. if I'm not mistaken I believe they are the new Jeffrey's just a new name and design?? And I've read nothing but good things about the Jeffrey's.

The RES on the BG makes them compass when riding switch, they're just not stable riding them that way. However, riding normally they absolutely slay it...

Kartel 116 is the right choice if you're looking for more of a freestyle pow ski.

Quote Originally Posted by tyfattori View Post
    Anyone know if the Bent Chetler is good at taking off and landing switch? I'm new to powder/big mountain skis so sorry for all the questions.
    They suck at landing switch and nose butters too. Just watch any footage of Chris and you'll see they're worthless for that type of skiing.

Troll?

Kartel 116.

What are you implying? Holiday Valley isn't gnar enough for you?

I've been on Bonafides for the past 4 years (1 season in Summit County, 3 season in Jackson) and after a slew of different pow skis, fell in love with the 193 Volkl Shiro. It does everything I ask, when I ask it to. I'm also a big fan of 193 Blizzard Gunsmoke. I was my go to deep day ski until I discovered the Shiro. Shiros can be found for a decent price lightly used, Gunsmokes (except my beat pair) are few and far between on the used ski market.