Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heavy base layer

Years ago a got some expedition weight Patagonia base layer pants for cold days as the sole layer under an uninsulated shell. I'd like to replace them as they're pilling, but I can't seem to find baselayers that thick any more. Patagonia sells (for way too much $) a "thermal" layer which is a very thin material with a waffle pattern. Not at all what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something as snug and stretchy as a lighter weight baselayer. NOT a midlayer fleece which is looser, not stretchy, and with pockets. A hole to piss through would be nice. Any suggestions?

Look at the Outdoor Research Radiant Hybrid Pants. They are very tight in the legs, and a bit looser in the thigh area, I'd say like fitted boxers (but not boxer briefs). They do have pockets though.

I tried on these and the Mountain Hardwear 32 Degree Not-So-Tight and ended up with the MH pants because I wanted something a little more casual for everyday wear too.

Btw, both of these will pill instantly haha...if you don't want to pill *as badly* I'd suggest maybe finding some wool layers. Found these on a quick google search (400wt is HEAVY): https://www.woolx.com/collections/me...yer-pants-x705. Alas they are OOS, but I think you could find something else similar.

EDIT: Another option, http://wool.minus33.com/katmai-mens-...m/709/product/. Though I have Minus33 socks and while they work very well and are very comfortable, they do seem to shed.

The ArcTeryx Rho AR used to be very thick. Not 100% sure about the current ones, but I'd give them a look.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Icebreaker makes enough weights and configurations (I'm guessing 200 weight) that you can likely find what you need, it's soft, stretchy, performs as well as synthetic, but more comfortable and without the stink (so you can wear them longer between washes). Wool isn't going to last quite as long as synthetic, but the heavier weights have an acceptable lifespan. Seem easy to find at 50% off for the savvy internet shopper.

I think polartec powerstretch is still the best fabric for that sort of thing despite being kind of old tech. I paid <$20 for a pair of bottoms, Kenyon was the brand name I think, from stp recently because I was replacing an older pair. Way thicker and warmer than even my heavier weight smartwool and icebreaker base layers (which are still my go to's for all but the coldest days).
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I wear Pattys R1 fleece pant under my shell pants on really cold days... I use their Cap 4 Expedition most of the time, but the R1 come out on the days/nights when the temps drop below 15...

http://www.patagonia.com/product/men...&start=1&sz=48

Thanks all. Ordered the Kenyons from STP.

Minus 33 expedition merino legging. 400 weight merino and toasty. At BC and I love mine.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

check out hunting suppliers like SitkaGear they often have a heavier weight fleece base layer. the active outdoor brands have moved on from those pieces mostly, but there's still demand from hunters who'll be static for decent periods of time.

+1 re Icebreaker. For thin 3-season base layers I prefer synthetic. For winter thicker base layers wool is better.
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 02-18-2017 at 12:04 PM.

my favorite this season is from 4F - https://4fstore.com/thermoactive_underwear,15,0.html

Thick, cozy, breathable, and absorbs moisture without making me feel cold and wet!

Just looked them up to post the link, had no idea this stuff was so affordable. Drives circles around all the big names ones we tested..

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I think polartec powerstretch is still the best fabric for that sort of thing...
    Agreed. Anything with powerstretch will fit the bill. This tech has trickled down to second tier manufacturers, so deals can be had.

Heavy base layer

I like the warm up pants in power-stretch type materials found at places like target. They often have vent mesh down the side which line up with side zips. They also don't cling to your legs. Need shell pants that aren't euro though.

good ideas here
    i've been looking for a bottom insulating layer under shells

Expedition weight synthetic airblaster ninja suit is the best baselayer ever.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    +1 re Icebreaker. For thin 3-season base layers I prefer synthetic. For winter thicker base layers wool is better.
    Why is that? I've got synthetic bottoms but wool top and honestly both seem fine to me, but there's something I like about wool.

I too have some of the Kenyon Expedition weight thermals. They have changed over the years (for the better) and hard to beat price wise unless there is an end of season close out deal or clearance. Other Exhibition weight stuff: Polarmax heavy weight and I picked up some stuff called Heat Holders microfleece (but have not even opened it as it has been a warm winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Expedition weight synthetic airblaster ninja suit is the best baselayer ever.
    This is what I wear when it's really cold.
    Kickass.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by realjwin View Post
    Why is that?
    Several reasons. Wool is a better insulator. Synthetics wick moisture and heat along with it. Wool is as warm damp as it is dry.

I've used Brynje in general, but mostly Brynje Arctic, for over a decade. Both in the army and while skiing.
    Pros: Great warmth, the inner layer transports moisture, and it keeps on going for years.
    Cons: difficult/expensive to get to the US?
    There is a translation tool at the bottom of the page

https://www.brynje.no/arctic

HH makes a heavy weight base layer. I just bought the bottoms. I like them and the price point is good. Not wool, which I like, but still nice.

Bought some UA 4.0 this season, top and bottom and they are fairly non-bulky thick and reasonably priced on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Several reasons. Wool is a better insulator. Synthetics wick moisture and heat along with it. Wool is as warm damp as it is dry.
    What is this, the 70's? Wool will definitely not be as warm damp as it is dry. That being said, I have come to really like lighter wool insulating layers over synthetics.

For a heavy layer I just use military polar long johns. I rarely need anything that warm but they are cheap and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Wool will definitely not be as warm damp as it is dry.

How about some actual data, instead of blah blah?

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2012...-when-wet.html

Not a perfect test, but some interesting data at least. But thermodynamics still applies to wet vs dry insulating layers no matter what they are.