Tech Leashes... WTF

I don't miss my brakes at all, but shit these damn leashes are annoying. How many of you roll the dice? Any horror stories?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

You just going for that vintage vibe, or are the lifties giving you a hard time for skiing your tech set up in bounds?

I find that brakes do little to stop the ski in most scenarios, so I have no concerns not using a leash.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

The Dynafit ones kinda blow. I've been wanting to pick up some of the ATK Kevlar ones from skimo.com (coiled for reasonable length, with a fuse to release in case of avy / big fall) but they are never in stock.

Get the ones from B&D.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    You just going for that vintage vibe, or are the lifties giving you a hard time for skiing your tech set up in bounds?

I find that brakes do little to stop the ski in most scenarios, so I have no concerns not using a leash.
    This is what I am thinking every time I bend over to connect these things. It reminds me of when I Telemarked.... I don't need to be reminded of 40mph pullouts.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    The Dynafit ones kinda blow. I've been wanting to pick up some of the ATK Kevlar ones from skimo.com (coiled for reasonable length, with a fuse to release in case of avy / big fall) but they are never in stock.
    I actually have the ATK's from skimo

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Get the ones from B&D.
    My god they are huge and ugly, I love the B&D stuff I have but this is going in the opposite direction IMO.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

i watched a dude chasing his ski under the rainier express chair at crystal two weeks ago
    you could hear everyone on the chair see it and react as it went by (it sounded like people doing the wave at a stadium) with the guy following asking if we could still see it
    "still going"
    it was fat with brakes but it just kept going cuz pow

this was inbounds and with brakes, but it would suck eminently more out of bounds

Years ago as mountain staff I saw a runaway snowboard fly through the crowded bunny hill and crash into the lodge at high speed. I grabbed the board and walked inside the lodge. Board's owner thought I was a thief and chased after me ... right to the guest services counter where they scolded him. He was lucky no one got hurt.

I don't ski them inbounds, but neither of my touring setups have leashes. If it's high consequence enough that I'm really afraid of losing a ski, the toes are locked. I guess maybe I could just eat shit in deep pow and lose one but it doesn't seem likely. Leashes annoyed the shit out of me when I did use them.

Leashes are, indeed, quite a PITA. That said, I use 'em.

I've been going leashless for about nine or ten years. At some point, one of my skis will ride down a 2,000' couloir by itself and I'll commit to leashes afterward. But until that happens, leashes are a pain in the ass and brakes are mostly dumb.

Dynafit leashes for spring/summer/fat fishscale rigs and B&D leashes for midwinter rigs work fine for me. #1 key to happiness is low expectations.

No leashes for a very long time, never had an escape but maybe one or two dive to retrieve scenarios on topping out transitions. I went back to brakes though, not so much as a retention device for run aways (toes usually locked anyway) but more for the stomp pad preventing unwanted heel releases in uneven terrain, and a convenient way to keep the skis together for shouldering or cross carry.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

The local ski hill requires them, but as soon as I'm at the exit gate they go into the pack. I don't use leashes otherwise but also don't ski tech bindings inbounds except to get to the gate and back down.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    more for the stomp pad preventing unwanted heel releases in uneven terrain, and a convenient way to keep the skis together for shouldering or cross carry.
    Fair points.

Are you taking on/off the leashes a bunch or something? Only way I can imagine them being annoying.

the BnD work pretty good ime, I freaked out the guide cuz he didn't realize I had the leashes or how BnD worked when i ripped skins at the top of a peak and carelessly dropped the ski in a place where you don't wana carelessly drop a ski

It would be nice if dynafit brakes worked a little better but I'm not gona go brakeless
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-17-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    The U.S. distributor still has them in stock:
    https://www.haganskimountaineering.c...i-safety-leash

The Skimo Co listing's review section has my picture of how I've modified them:
    http://skimo.co/atk-kevlar-leash#tab-review
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    My god they are huge and ugly, I love the B&D stuff I have but this is going in the opposite direction IMO.
    'cept it's nice to leave them on while you take off skins when you do it old fashion style, not that nouveau skimo bend and puuuullllll method.

yeah^^ usually sitting down to eat a sandwich or taking skis off to put on skins I can leave the leashes clipped to the boots all day long and there isnt anybody to see if they are ugly in the BC
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Lots of copies of the B&D out their now.

Tech Leashes... WTF

Who? Most I've seen come up short on length.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Get the ones from B&D.
    This.

Clip them once at the bottom and that's that. Why take the skis off again on a simple tour?
    Last edited by skinipenem; 02-17-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB