Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    ^^^youzz guyzz gotz issuezz!
    I'm a fat ski kook too
    Favorite skis in my quiver are 125 underfoot and I ski them most days(predecessor to the ski youre asking about in the other thread Z).
    Funnest ski in my quiver is 139, and are fucking amazing in anything soft(slay slush too)
    I'm also old,or gettin there quick!
    What do your knees feel like in the AM? Mine hurt just thinking out skiing on 125 every day. Mine ache after skiing 125 on a pow day.

Don't you guys feel like there is a point of diminishing returns. Where you totally lose maneuverability for maybe a tiny bit more float?

(On a side note I just googled the old Sumo. I worked for Volkl then and lived in Squaw. Man those things were cumbersome and they were only 125. Funny seeing old threads on the Sumo and Sanouk.)

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    What do your knees feel like in the AM? Mine hurt just thinking out skiing on 125 every day. Mine ache after skiing 125 on a pow day.

Don't you guys feel like there is a point of diminishing returns. Where you totally lose maneuverability for maybe a tiny bit more float?

(On a side note I just googled the old Sumo. I worked for Volkl then and lived in Squaw. Man those things were cumbersome and they were only 125. Funny seeing old threads on the Sumo and Sanouk.)
    Not really. I don't mind walking/booting/traversing/skinning for the goods and I grew up on skinny long skis. I want FUN skis now!
    Don't get me wrong, I have Goliaths for when I know I'll be encountering mostly crispi critters or need maximum versatility. They just don't make it out as much as the bigger skis, even in lean years. I actually find my shaped skis more maneuverable because you can slarve/smear mid turn or in tight areas not get caught up in convexities or weird snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    I've always found dynastars to be mediocre powder skis, they lack the float.
    Ha, what was the last Dstar ski you tried in pow? I find that the mount point makes a huge difference. When I first got on XXLs they would dive in pow. Remounted -1cm and they floated just fine.
    127s definitely are a pow ski. I rarely take them out anymore because they float too well, no matter how deep the snow is I'm stuck on top and missing out on face shots.
    Have you looked at the Big Dump? There is a pair in Gearswap right now...
    120mm underfoot, 192cm, traditional shape with a slight early rise.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post

Don't you guys feel like there is a point of diminishing returns. Where you totally lose maneuverability for maybe a tiny bit more float? .)
    IME its the weight

the 185 gigawatt/ alpine demo bindings/ 4 buckle alpines are easy enough to ski but SO heavy i don't wana have to do any do any sidestepping and I feel like the ski is riding me ... I havent had them out in a couple years cuz of low snow

190 Lotus 120/ baron/ 4 buckle alpine super easy to ski but yeah I start to feel the size and weight they can get noticably heavy on sloppy days but I ski them a lot at the hill

184 Lotus 120/ vert/ Vulcan I went back to them after the 190's Lotus and they felt like xc skis!

So YMMV but for me that point is 120mm
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    Ha, what was the last Dstar ski you tried in pow? I find that the mount point makes a huge difference. When I first got on XXLs they would dive in pow. Remounted -1cm and they floated just fine.
    127s definitely are a pow ski. I rarely take them out anymore because they float too well, no matter how deep the snow is I'm stuck on top and missing out on face shots.
    Have you looked at the Big Dump? There is a pair in Gearswap right now...
    120mm underfoot, 192cm, traditional shape with a slight early rise.
    I like the 127 at my hill because we get lots of wind and they really stay up on top of wind funk nicely.

Dynastar Cham 127... Solidly what you are looking for

aa

atomic atlas 192

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    130-135mm underfoot. Normal sidecut/shape, early-rise tip. Flat or some camber, not reverse. Traditional fat ski style.

Ideally something like an Atomic Thug, or Liberty DoubleHelix but 10-15mm wider underfoot.

Yeah, those 130s look good. Searching for dimensions on those actually brought me to the Sick Day 125s - which look just about perfect. I think 125-135mm is actually what I mean to say for waist width. And tip width less than 160mm.
    Name:  j_bruson__forum.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  94.4 KB

I ski Sick Day 125 tele. Quite soft skis - good for tele (I am around 6', 183 lbs). I like them a lot.

The only issue is that as a tele ski 125mm mid width creates quite a lot of torque for the knees. On soft snow, no issues but once it's get hard/cruddy (= Europe&variable conditions) my knees will feel it after several days.

I am thinking to updating them to Sick Day 110s next year - I guess those will be perfect for variable Euro conditions.
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 03-01-2017 at 03:19 AM.
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."