Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    After years of DSP use I have never had a problem with the switch. It has always worked flawlessly.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    After years of DSP use I have never had a problem with the switch. It has always worked flawlessly.
    2nded

The newer DSPs are however disappointingly bulky.

The fact that DSPs consistently have longest range is their biggest selling point to me.

But "what brand" of modern beacon is "best" is a decision so unimportant in the scheme of things....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I had an S1+ that was sending me all over in coarse mode. A problem mentioned by Johnathon in one of his reviews. I picked up a DSP Sport. It works fine however i preferred the circular illustration during fine search of the S1 over the DSP no arrow after 2M.
    off your knees Louie

For real though... is any beacon made in the last 5 years hard to use???

DSP Pro is the 'pro model' (if you don't count the pro-ice), so that arguably would be the _most_ complicated beacon to use, and it's still simple as fuck.

Read some reviews and find one that fits the bill?

That said, DSP pro ice is awesome. The clinometer is great for proving how rad I get, and the 60m search strip is perfect for being able to find my buddies who are buried when they aren't skiing in sight.

But seriously:
    search width (why not get the widest)
    battery type (find something that matches batteries for all your other devices so you don't need to bring a bunch of different sizes on long trips)
    multi burial search mode (whatever you like the best)

Also, a few of the newer ones will transmit on the antenna that is best orientated to get the most coverage. dsp pro ice does it (all around dope beacon), as well as the 3+ (smaller search width, but uses 1xAA which is handy... except the battery life on the dsp destroy it, so that argument is sort of pointless). I own both. Not that getting buried is on your mind, but will increase the range of people to pick up your signal.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Also, a few of the newer ones will transmit on the antenna that is best orientated to get the most coverage. dsp pro ice does it (all around dope beacon), as well as the 3+... but will increase the range of people to pick up your signal.
    This is not accurate.

The DSP will only change antennas while transmitting when it detects interferance with the main antenna. It does not change antennas to increase the range at which you will be discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieps
    AUTO-ANTENNA-SWITCH
    If the transmitting antenna experiences a fault due to electronic devices or metal interference, it automatically switches to the other antenna.
    http://www.pieps.com/en/product/pieps-dsp-pro
    Ortovox beacons will switch which antenna transmits based on the orientation of the beacon when you are buried, which may increase the range at which you can be found. This is patented and unique to Ortovox. Pieps does not do this nor does any other brand that I am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortovox
    The patented SMART-ANTENNA-TECHNOLOGY ™ with intelligent position recognition automatically switches to the best transmission antenna.
    https://www.ortovox.com/us/shop/aval...3--blue-ocean/

oh snap. Knew the 3+ had it and when I picked up the pro ice I figured it was something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    For real though... is any beacon made in the last 5 years hard to use???

DSP Pro is the 'pro model' (if you don't count the pro-ice), so that arguably would be the _most_ complicated beacon to use, and it's still simple as fuck.
    The advanced settings on the Mammut Pulse are very likely to screw up any untrained users. Even trained users trying to be smart can screw themselves over. That doesn't make it a bad beacon, it makes it one that in advanced mode, requires familiarity and training.

A local shop is still selling Tracker 1's (DTS). And people are buying them being told "it is the easiest to use" .... in 2017. And they are selling at full retail. Buyer beware.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

Counterpoint against all the Pieps fanboi stuff - the switch on the DSP moves from OFF to SEND to SEARCH. The indicator for what mode you're in is a window in the switch - you can't see the labels for the other modes. That means when you are in SEND, it is equally easy to move the switch to OFF as it is to go to SEARCH, and there's no indication which way is which. If you don't practice with the beacon enough to have that shit on lock in a high-stress situation, it's easier than most beacons to fuck it up and turn the beacon off. (Note: I use a DSP Pro and overall think it's a great beacon)
    ha, yeah, forgot about that. Inexplicable design oversight, no idea how that made it into production.

When I first got mine I drew a big arrow onto the switch pointing back to off as a visual reminder. 2nd nature now, but maybe I'll go re-draw it just for kicks.

Another happy DSP Pro here. Took me a bit of practice to keep from moving the slider from search to send during practice; no issues with it mistakenly turning off or into search mode however. Group check and backlit screen are nice.

Work has Elements, no one during practice has any significant issue with them even though some never travel in avy terrain and only practice the couple of times a season that a group practice is arranged. The switch is more secure than the DSP pro and sport IMO, and the mark function easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    A few times each season I see a DSP Sport that is not sending because the switch is a fraction of a hair not in the right spot. It appears to be sending based on the switch position, but it isn't.
    I am not drawing conclusions. But I just read an unfortunate Facebook post that made me think of this.
    Life is not lift served.

I am not drawing conclusions. But I just read an unfortunate Facebook post that made me think of this.
    In this thread: hanging lake slide

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...86&pid=4959261

Discussing gear features and pros/cons can get a bit nerdy and hypothetical. Stuff like this makes it real. Fine to geek out for non-safety stuff but for beacons, every bit matters.

Now excuse me while I go replace my beacon.

Got to play with a Pieps Micro recently. Seems to do everything I'll ever need, but smaller and lighter. If I was shopping for a replacement it'd be top of my list.

I have a DSP Pro and just played around with the switch a bunch. There is a real issue. The beacon will go into send mode when the switch has been moved out of the off position, but not quite locked into the send position. Thus the beacon would pass a typical beacon check, but it is easy to imagine how an impact could move the switch back into the off position with the user knowing this had occurred.

Good points on the S1, which I have. I like the fact that it's a clamshell, (I thought it would be better protected, and when I'm in search mode it's locked open, so it would be weird to close it). I also read the review about ease of use, and that played into why I bought it. Also, you need to calibrate it properly, and if you don't, it isn't as accurate. This could be a problem some folks are having. I'm looking at the pieps micro now, and kinda wish I spent my 40% off code on one.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I have a DSP Pro and just played around with the switch a bunch. There is a real issue. The beacon will go into send mode when the switch has been moved out of the off position, but not quite locked into the send position. Thus the beacon would pass a typical beacon check, but it is easy to imagine how an impact could move the switch back into the off position with the user knowing this had occurred.

Can't you just make sure it's locked with a quick push /pull? I've done that from day one and didn't need anyone to tell me to, seems pretty intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Can't you just make sure it's locked with a quick push /pull? I've done that from day one and didn't need anyone to tell me to, seems pretty intuitive.
    Yes.

Really depends on the sophistication / needs of the user. For pros, the Mammut Pulse seems popular with AC, and there's a new version coming out this fall.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 03-06-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Got to play with a Pieps Micro recently. Seems to do everything I'll ever need, but smaller and lighter. If I was shopping for a replacement it'd be top of my list.
    http://beaconreviews.com/transceiver...PiepsMicro.asp
    The Pieps Micro is unique in that it doesn't have a physical switch or button that allows you to change between searching and transmitting. If you put the transceiver in its bracket or in your pocket (which results in the proximity sensor being covered), the Micro automatically changes to search mode.

1. Call me old fashioned, but I don't like the concept.

2. I think Beacon reviews may have a typo. search should say send.
    Last edited by neck beard; 03-06-2017 at 03:46 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

I've been in the market for a new beacon and after reading reviews and threads just ordered a Mammut Element. I was going to go with the Pieps Micro but after reading about the proximity sensor I changed my mind.

http://beaconreviews.com/transceiver...iepsMicro.asp:
    The Pieps Micro is unique in that it doesn't have a physical switch or button that allows you to change between searching and transmitting. If you put the transceiver in its bracket or in your pocket (which results in the proximity sensor being covered), the Micro automatically changes to search mode.

1. Call me old fashioned, but I don't like the concept.

2. I think Beacon reviews may have a typo. search should say send.
    We had a lot of back-and-forth writing (and rewriting) that review.
    (I mainly agree with Steve, although my judgement on it is somewhat less harsh.)
    But exactly where is the typo?
    And I think you have a typo in your second (unnumbered) sentence, i.e., when the sensor is covered, the beacon is in Send mode, and uncovered is automatically Search mode.
    (The complicated part is the reversion to Send mode under various conditions...)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    And I think you have a typo in your second (unnumbered) sentence, i.e., when the sensor is covered, the beacon is in Send mode, and uncovered is automatically Search mode.
    I should have been clearer that I copy/pasted that sentence from the website. All I did was underline and bold the word 'search'.

It said this:

Quote Originally Posted by the website
    if you put the transceiver in its bracket or in your pocket (which results in the proximity sensor being covered), the Micro automatically changes to search mode.
    That is back to front. It reverts to send when in the pouch with sensor covered. A typo.
    Life is not lift served.

^ Yipes!
    Thanks for catching that -- fixed now.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

no problems ey.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I've been in the market for a new beacon and after reading reviews and threads just ordered a Mammut Element. I was going to go with the Pieps Micro but after reading about the proximity sensor I changed my mind.
    yeah I was looking a few years ago, so at the time it came down to the 3+ or the element which were both new, I'm not crazy about bleeding edge technology so I decided on the Element cuz it was a stripped down Pulse which seemed to be a proven product, its a few years later now no problems I am aware of, so often if you go to a commercial BC ski op they will have a fleet of elements ... it was a good choice IME/IMO
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    2nded

The fact that DSPs consistently have longest range is their biggest selling point to me.

But "what brand" of modern beacon is "best" is a decision so unimportant in the scheme of things....
    This...just did a Avi 1 class as a refresher, and my old Pieps kicked every beacons ass on range. I picked up the signals tens of meters before anybody else. I like to see my touring partners pull out a Pieps during beacon check, I know they have a good chance of finding my buried ass if shit happens.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot