Update from Outdoor Retailer

Our Goal is Not Just to Speak. Our Goal is to be Heard.

The last week has certainly been an interesting time as a show organizer and I am most thankful for the incredible team at Outdoor Retailer, our partner - the Outdoor Industry Association, rep associations, retailers and brands, in addition to the hundreds of emails offering support.

We respect that brands have to make decisions that reflect their values. However, in the last week, the heart-felt expressions of support for the show from exhibitors of all sizes have far outweighed those choosing not to participate. Iconic brands such as adidas Outdoor, Ibex, The Conservation Alliance, The North Face, REI and Wolverine Worldwide, among many others have not only reinforced their intent to come to SLC this summer, but also, will make their voices louder than ever before. (Please look at unity.outdoorretailer.com for specific expressions of support.)

We can all most easily agree that this is not a question of inaction. Rather, it is a matter of what action.
    This is not a one-and-done issue. While Bears Ears National Monument status is a lightning rod, it is just the most currently visible example of what will be a long, hard series of fights the outdoor community needs to not only raise our voices about, but, even more importantly, about which we need to be heard.

Outdoor Retailer is the only gathering where the entire industry comes together to conduct commerce, share best practices and exchange ideas. There is no other event where the most respected iconic brands and retailers - large, medium and small in size - show up "en force."

But the boycott of Outdoor Retailer levies the most significant negative impact on those medium and small-sized companies that count on the show to conduct business. We have a unique, maybe even singular, opportunity to coalesce, organize, speak and lay plans to make a difference around public land awareness in such a way that it is not only heard but that it can make a positive difference.
    Our goal is not just to speak. Our goal is to be heard.

Now is the time for action, not words. These are turbulent times with passions running high – a wonderful trait of the industry we serve. We share these passions. We hear you, are listening closely and taking action. Here is what we are doing:

An Ideal Venue: As swiftly as humanly possible, we are doing the work necessary to procure potential alternative locations for Outdoor Retailer. Though we may wish it different, this is far from a snap of the fingers thing to make happen. Convention centers and hotels are not sitting idle. In every instance of every potential venue, there are hurdles that have to be cleared and that simply cannot be done overnight.

We expect that our current proposal process – which we initiated before any of the company withdrawal announcements last week – will take between 60 and 90 days. We are exploring options for expediting this process and will keep you updated on the progress.

Gather Best Ideas: Outdoor Retailer and Outdoor Industry Association will harness the creative ideas already being put forth by exhibitors to express their opinions at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market. Through unity.outdoorretailer.com, we are exploring options including utilizing the time and funds earmarked for the Industry Breakfast as a time to express our opinions; rallies; conservation town halls; and a community camp out using city parks, among other ideas. We must work within the rules of the city, the existing permits we have and other laws by which we must abide. Our team has already begun to investigate what steps need to be taken to accommodate those activities. We are working in tandem with parties that have put forth ideas including brands, retailers, non-profits, rep groups and others.

We Need You: We need your voice. We need your support. And we need your creative ideas at unity.outdoorretailer.com. Please visit the site and lend your ideas to the community. We will provide updates on what we’ve gathered on Monday, February 27th.

Thank you,

Marisa Nicholson
    Show Director of Outdoor Retailer

what about all the mom and pop shops that make the trip out to this show. Since Patagonia won't be in Utah for the Outdoor Retailer how do these people see the line and put orders in?

We have seen large brands walk away from other trade shows before (The North Face, Burton, Dynafit) however they usually always showed there lines off site somewhere near the shows.

Should your favorite outdoor brands be political? I know I laughed when I saw Jeremy Jones getting fired up on politics in his Twitter feed. I would guess the people that can drop $1500 on a splitboard just might be 1% er's, its not the liberal Colorado crowd...

Poli-Ass, JONG...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Wait. Where's the clikbait? You just made 2 posts and I can't find any spam. Has someone highjacked your tgr account?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I read this and I have no idea what she's trying to say, or what happened.

wow

Today officials from Outdoor Retailer, Outdoor Industry Association, Patagonia, The North Face and REI met via teleconference with Utah Governor Herbert. In light of the outcome of the call today, Outdoor Retailer will not include the state of Utah in the RFP process for future show locations.

“We are doing the work necessary to procure an alternative location for Outdoor Retailer,” said Marisa Nicholson, show director for Outdoor Retailer.
    “Though we may wish it different, this is far from a snap of the fingers thing to make happen. Convention centers and hotels are not sitting idle. In every instance at every potential venue, there are hurdles that have to be cleared and that simply cannot be done overnight. We expect that our current proposal process, which we initiated before any of the company withdrawal announcements last week, will take between 60 and 90 days. Salt Lake City has been hospitable to Outdoor Retailer and our industry for the past 20 years, but we are in lockstep with the outdoor community and are working on finding our new home.”

Darrell Denny, EVP Emerald Expositions, further commented: “Emerald Expositions will also not extend the request for proposal to Utah for relocating the Interbike tradeshow.”

Outdoor Retailer is the only gathering where the entire industry comes together to conduct commerce, share best practices and exchange ideas. There is no other event where the most respected iconic brands and retailers - large, medium and small in size - show up "en force.” Our industry has a unique, maybe even singular, opportunity to coalesce, organize, speak and lay plans to make a difference around public land awareness in such a way that it is not only heard but that it can make a positive difference and we urge you to be part of this movement at Summer Market.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    wow

Today officials from Outdoor Retailer, Outdoor Industry Association, Patagonia, The North Face and REI met via teleconference with Utah Governor Herbert. In light of the outcome of the call today, Outdoor Retailer will not include the state of Utah in the RFP process for future show locations.

“We are doing the work necessary to procure an alternative location for Outdoor Retailer,” said Marisa Nicholson, show director for Outdoor Retailer.
    “Though we may wish it different, this is far from a snap of the fingers thing to make happen. Convention centers and hotels are not sitting idle. In every instance at every potential venue, there are hurdles that have to be cleared and that simply cannot be done overnight. We expect that our current proposal process, which we initiated before any of the company withdrawal announcements last week, will take between 60 and 90 days. Salt Lake City has been hospitable to Outdoor Retailer and our industry for the past 20 years, but we are in lockstep with the outdoor community and are working on finding our new home.”

Darrell Denny, EVP Emerald Expositions, further commented: “Emerald Expositions will also not extend the request for proposal to Utah for relocating the Interbike tradeshow.”

Outdoor Retailer is the only gathering where the entire industry comes together to conduct commerce, share best practices and exchange ideas. There is no other event where the most respected iconic brands and retailers - large, medium and small in size - show up "en force.” Our industry has a unique, maybe even singular, opportunity to coalesce, organize, speak and lay plans to make a difference around public land awareness in such a way that it is not only heard but that it can make a positive difference and we urge you to be part of this movement at Summer Market.
    Good for them. Our political representatives are shitstains and are firmly committed to ruining much of the state. You gotta put your foot down somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Good for them. Our political representatives are shitstains and are firmly committed to ruining much of the state. You gotta put your foot down somewhere.
    Agreed. Great to see some brands throwing their weight around against this type of shit.

Cool to see that Interbike will also skip Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    what about all the mom and pop shops that make the trip out to this show. Since Patagonia won't be in Utah for the Outdoor Retailer how do these people see the line and put orders in?
    There's these people called sales reps.

Can't retailers just do all this stuff online now .... like their customer base?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Can't retailers just do all this stuff online now .... like their customer base?
    You've never ordered anything online and had it not be exactly what you expected? When I was a buyer I saw great value in seeing the product in person when figuring out my assortment. Just like customers, even if they end up buying online, want to go check out products in the store first. Plus, retailers don't get to just return something if they order it sight unseen and it doesn't turn out to be what they wanted.

That said, I did as much business at the regional rep shows, or setting up meetings with the rep at their local showroom or my shop, as I did at the big tradeshows.

A merger between OR and SIA would be a huge win for retailers and manufacturers. The current expenditure of doing two shows is getting really hard for a lot of companies to justify. I expect Denver will push hard for this.

Nice to see blow back on this, not that the powers the be really care.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Move thread to poli ass please.

I'm all for proper Wilderness designations, but misuse of the Antiquities Act of 1906 by overreaching presidents really needs to be reined in. Executive power is currently out of balance.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    You've never ordered anything online and had it not be exactly what you expected? When I was a buyer I saw great value in seeing the product in person when figuring out my assortment. Just like customers, even if they end up buying online, want to go check out products in the store first. Plus, retailers don't get to just return something if they order it sight unseen and it doesn't turn out to be what they wanted.

That said, I did as much business at the regional rep shows, or setting up meetings with the rep at their local showroom or my shop, as I did at the big tradeshows.

A merger between OR and SIA would be a huge win for retailers and manufacturers. The current expenditure of doing two shows is getting really hard for a lot of companies to justify. I expect Denver will push hard for this.
    agreed asking retailers, media or even brands for that matter to attend both OR and SIA in the same month is taxing at best.

Jeff wrote a good piece about the shows - http://www.jeffharbaugh.com/trade-sh...-without-them/

One would think winter OR and SIA would actually do really well in the same space. Maybe we can get back to the rowdiness that Vegas once offered at the shows? Otherwise not sure Denver can handle the OR overflow during SIA, that being said it was very quite this year..

Move this thread put of tech talk. At least polyass, should be ski/snowboard.

Resist.