Venting Ski Pant Question

Until now I've always used outer thigh vents but now I picked a pair of TNF free thinker bibs (killer deal) and the venting is on the inner thighs.
    Haven't tried them yet because I'm getting the chimney venting altered...adding zippers so I can control the air flow...why they didn't think of that boggles my mind.

Regardless is one better than the other ?
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

In theory I would think my undercarriage sweats / needs venting more than my outer thighs, so the inner leg venting makes sense to me.

In practice, both my flylow and burton pants have inner and outer leg vents, which allows for more options and cross venting when needed.

Dual zippers on each vent for greater customization is even better (My Flylow pants have that, the Burton ones do not.)

Inner thigh vents will sometimes allow a shot of snow or slush to fly up your gooch.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Softshell pants. No venting required. Are we talking touring?

What, you can't just pull your pants down to cool off? Bring some ghetto style into the backcountry.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Gotta let the farts out somehow.

just leave yer zipper down if you want venting, it also saves time not having to zip/unzip for a piss

I got some pants they gave us for the 2010 olympics with zippers on the inner thighs but I never used those vents, the pants were quilted and were mostly to keep ya warm standing around at whistler
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-14-2017 at 08:00 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Gotta let the farts out somehow.
    "Anti-Gas Pills/Tablets. The higher we trek, the more the air and gas in your belly will expand causing frequent burping and farting. It will happen to all of us. The yaks, too. Simethicone can reduce or eliminate this phenomenon. I’ll thank you in advance here.

Anti-Diarrhea Pills. Traveller’s Diarrhea happens. Maybe not to everyone all the time, but the threat is always there. Loperamide pills can save the day if you are one of the lucky team members to get the shits. Another rite of passage."

himalayanworkshops.com FYI

Keep em zipped. Duck butter futures are up.

Trail breaking quad muscles produce a lot of heat = outer zippers to vent that heat directly. Note i am not talking sweat, I am talking heat, which will eventually lead to sweat. Dump the heat from thine pistons.

Trail breaking potentially produces inner thigh friction with every step = outer zippers to have no wear and abrasion around the zipper, unlike inner zippers.

For some reason I see more inner zippers on gear being worn by snowboarders.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Trail breaking quad muscles produce a lot of heat = outer zippers to vent that heat directly. Note i am not talking sweat, I am talking heat, which will eventually lead to sweat. Dump the heat from thine pistons.

Trail breaking potentially produces inner thigh friction with every step = outer zippers to have no wear and abrasion around the zipper, unlike inner zippers.

For some reason I see more inner zippers on gear being worn by snowboarders.
    a lot of food for thought

as for snowboarders there has to be logical reason for that

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    "Anti-Gas Pills/Tablets. The higher we trek, the more the air and gas in your belly will expand causing frequent burping and farting. It will happen to all of us. The yaks, too. Simethicone can reduce or eliminate this phenomenon. I’ll thank you in advance here.

Anti-Diarrhea Pills. Traveller’s Diarrhea happens. Maybe not to everyone all the time, but the threat is always there. Loperamide pills can save the day if you are one of the lucky team members to get the shits. Another rite of passage."

himalayanworkshops.com FYI
    For proper fart exhaust I prefer to have the vents on the outer thigh (or both inner and outer thigh if available)

You get a nice cross breeze from opening both outer vents, easterly or westerly flow over the crack area that removes any fecal participant matter trapped in the valley there.

For proper fart exhaust I prefer to have the vents on the outer thigh (or both inner and outer thigh if available)

You get a nice cross breeze from opening both outer vents, easterly or westerly flow over the crack area that removes any fecal participant matter trapped in the valley there.
    well said butt isn't that the job of underwear unless you go commando NTTAWWT

Fecal Participants = those little particles of poop that participate in making your ass stink.

I can't say there's much a difference ime
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Fecal Participants = those little particles of poop that participate in making your ass stink.
    You might need to wipe/wash better.

this thread is getting shitty real fast....just venting my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I can't say there's much a difference ime
    Hoping to see someone state that.
    Thanks

On the Baker Bibs from Flylow, the inner vents are less effective at allowing air in but less likely to allow snow in. When warm, its nice to be able to open both. I wouldnt want pants without side vents but enjoy the inner thigh as an addition.

I still need zips on my schoeler pants. Even when skinning in 0 degree weather with no long underwear. Ymmv.