Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Anyone in Oroville, CA?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    The Columbia river doesn't reach 600k anymore.
    Pretty sure that was the Kansas river.

But the Columbia averages 250k and maxed out at well over a million.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    For shits and giggles, 1993 Tuttle Creek flood is worth checking out. They were letting out 600k and washed down to a 293 million year old fossil bed.
    pan that shit for gold!

Tuttle is on the Blue before it dumps into the Kansas.

Yeah this one's a gem too. Original article is from 2005.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/cal...132475584.html

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    "The concrete weir at the top of the emergency spillway was “just plopped on top of that ridge. It’s a design area that will probably get a lot of scrutiny and had to be a major concern as [the spillway] was eroding up the hill.”

Vogel confirmed that the weir, which she said ranges in height from 25 feet to 45 feet, was not anchored."

This blows my fucking mind.

Yep. Totally.

There was also a question about where bedrock was below the main spillway too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    There was also a question about where bedrock was below the main spillway too.
    Not much of a question now!

Heheheh. Indeed.

They have to be pretty psyched about this break in the storms. I understand they stopped spillway releases yesterday. We've got a decent break until at least Sunday, so time to really hit those repairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Apparently they are going to try to clear between 500,000 and 1 million cubic yards of debris over the next five to seven days so they can reopen the power plant. So, 100k-200k cyds per day. That is a shitload of earth moving.

https://www.metabunk.org/oroville-da...h.t8402/page-6 has pretty amazing pics with the water turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Apparently they are going to try to clear between 500,000 and 1 million cubic yards of debris over the next five to seven days so they can reopen the power plant. So, 100k-200k cyds per day. That is a shitload of earth moving.
    Google says the average commercial dump truck hauls between 10 and 14 yards of rock. Let's assume they are going to move 100,000 yards per day at 14 yards per truck. That's 7142 truckloads in a 24 hour period. 297 per hour. 5 per minute.

This can't be right.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Google says the average commercial dump truck hauls between 10 and 14 yards of rock. Let's assume they are going to move 100,000 yards per day at 14 yards per truck. That's 7142 truckloads in a 24 hour period. 297 per hour. 5 per minute.

This can't be right.
    I doubt they are using commercial trucks. I'd assume they have a fleet of mining type huge discovery channel show type machines?

? ? ?
    I still call it The Jake.

Wow

I'm curious if they try to use the water to their advantage and let it help them cut thru it

That guy's thinking, "we're gonna need a bigger barge."
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    I doubt they are using commercial trucks. I'd assume they have a fleet of mining type huge discovery channel show type machines?
    Where would they come from? I'm not aware of any mines in that area that would employ such vehicles, nor do I believe that the local roads are capable of handling the weight. Maybe they dump nearby, within a few hundred yards or a mile or so from the dam site and run trucks round the clock.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Good point. Railway perhaps?

Anyone in Oroville, CA?

What about just blasting a nice channel thru it? It's going to be interesting to see what they do.

Edit- otoh explosions of that size may not be good for the integrity of bedrock that they are almost entirely relying on at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    https://www.metabunk.org/oroville-da...h.t8402/page-6 has pretty amazing pics with the water turned off.
    Thanks for that, some excellent drone footage too. 1M cyds sounds about right for that pile.

What about just blasting a nice channel thru it? It's going to be interesting to see what they do.

Edit- otoh explosions of that size prolly may not be good for the integrity of bedrock that they are almost entirely relying on at this point.
    It looks like a lot of this may be done via dozers just pushing shit out of the main channel. They probably don't want to actually move all that material very far since it will be usefull fill material for the repairs.

Anyone in Oroville, CA?

^thats what I was wondering about. Then the water could help make it bigger? I'd assume you'd still have to blow the breech?

Was looking forward to your response. Cool stuff indeed.

Then the water could help make it bigger? I'd assume you'd still have to blow the breech?
    With everything shut down right now there's very little flow, that area is basically just a lake right now. Also, keep in mind that those little yellow dots are probably D-fucking-9s, and this is the material left behind that 100K cfs couldn't carry away. Water isn't moving any of that.

I noticed those little yellow dots and wondered which model they were. They also are capable of navigating over the pile, so it's either dried significantly, or its rock. Gonna be harder to move than soft earth, I guess.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.