Where to mount K2 powabunga???

So I got a pair since I could not get toons. I have skied bentchetler, Solomon 122, and other noodly twins ( did not like them). I know why did I buy these well it's because they are lime green and fat. I am hoping these are better but I am also looking for an easy fat ski for days when I just want to take it easy.

Mounting FKS and I ski Spurs, empire, BG and other directional skis fast and forward. I ski a lot of trees. Do like to smear a bit but no real switch except to talk to people on the way back to the lift.

Got them from Hop and he suggested -4 to -5 from center. But he is skiing tele I believe. K2 says -5.5 to -7.5 if traditional skier.

So I do want some playfulness but will not tolerate any tip dive if I stand on em down a face. I know I'm only using for fun but hey I don't turn a lot (Whyturn)

What say you?
    Looking for guys who ski hell bents or similar skis and have a similar style to mine.

Help please since I don't speak newschooler
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

where did you mount the spurs etc? mount the K2 at the same place overall

Everything is on the line. Praxis mount is forward and I just watched tabke charge it that way. Not deep but still stable.

K2 is weird in that all skis are 0 to minus 7.5. If your traditional mount -5.5 to -7.5. If your 50/50 park go more forward. If your spinny bob long t park rat go 0 to -2. Hell Seth is +5 according to them which they should not even say. But he charges. So does tabke and hoji with forward mount. Different skis I know but maybe it's not an issue to be more forward.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

I would go with traditional, or recomended.

My renegades are -5 from center. You should get renegades

I mounted my Hellbents +5.5 from the traditional line or -2 from center. I love them there, no tip dive and super easy to scrub speed.

^ I rarely ski switch, or get flippy/spinny.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I would go with traditional, or recomended.
    On the Powabunga "traditional" is faaaar too back to be "recommended".

The first set I had I accidentally mounted on the traditional line and was bummed in anything but clean pow. There was just no tail to stand on and too much tip; they were prone to wheelies and generally unbalanced. I re-mounted them +3.75 (binding holes dictated that move) and they really came alive.

I had my next set mounted at +3.75 from traditional and when I saw them I thought they looked way forward, even though the markings lined up. I put them base-to-base with my old set and was surprised to find out that K2 had moved the entire scale forward ~1.5cm (can't remember exactly). At first I was bummed but then I skied them and they were just fine.

No matter what the scale is on whyturn's pair - I recommend mounting +3.75cm up to maybe ~+5cm because that's the range I was in and I was stoked both times. Powabungas are designed to be more of a center-mounted flippy spinny pow gun anyways and you're not going to stuff the tip. Wherever you choose, I would strongly recommend against mounting on the traditional line.

I did have tele bindings on mine but I generally made more P turns than T turns. No issues with either turn in any condition on either set except for the aforementioned first mount on the first pair.

To be clear: all of the measurements are based off the rear line moving forward. I'm not sure what the terminology is on the ski itself.

The first line at Eagle Pass heli is the set at +3.75. All the Japan stuff is +3.75 + however far forward the line was moved.
    Last edited by hop; 02-10-2017 at 12:37 AM.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Great video, I got to get to Japan
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    where did you mount the spurs etc? mount the K2 at the same place overall
    I strongly disagree with that, because the Powabunga’s tail has very long & tall rocker, but the Spur tail does not, so the two are very different skis.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    …Powabungas are designed to be more of a center-mounted flippy spinny pow gun anyways and you're not going to stuff the tip…
    I agree. For very long & tall rockered tails (like Powabunga, Hellbent, etc.), mount it as close to center mount as you can tolerate. That might be -2.0cm to -5.5cm from True Center, depending on your preferences. But it is impossible to make a deep & tall rocker tail become a charger ski, no matter how far back you try to mount it, so don’t even try. Instead, accept that the strength of the deep rocker tail is pivoting for the smear/slash/spray with an upright stance, and then mount it forward for as much pivoty-ness as you can tolerate, using the most upright stance you can tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    …So I do want some playfulness but will not tolerate any tip dive if I stand on em down a face…
    I doubt you’ll get actual tip dive with massive tip rocker like Powabunga—but yes, on skis like this, it’s still possible to experience sensations of “The tip unexpectedly slowed down abruptly in deep powder for a brief impulse, and I hate that feeling like someday I might go over the bars”. Well, to solve that, you can either buy a longer ski (which is hopefully stiffer too), or remount your ski more aftward, or just do what I do—in those situations when you start to feel that dreaded feeling, just bend your knees a bit lower and keep leaning forward with confidence. By crouching lower, you become less top-heavy overall, so the tip will restore your fore/aft balance much easier without you feeling that “possible over-the-bars” feeling.

Hey whyturn,
    you say you’ve skied on deep & tall rockered tails before. What is your preferred mount position on similar tails like Bentchetler & Salomon Rocker2 122? (Best if you can express it in terms of -Xcm from True Center.) For example, if you prefer -2.7cm from True Center on Salomon Rocker2 122, then you will probably also like the Powabunga in a similar range, like about -2.0 to -3.5 from True Center, for example.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Mounting at -3.5 from center based on Hop recommendation and his video sold me. Of course the ski is only as good as the skier.

Thanks for advice on lower stance

I hated rocker 122 and others and was in -3 range on those. I just hated long tail feelings, lack of charging and noodle tendencies. Of course that was 4-5 seasons ago and I did like other K2 skis in the past. Will post review after a big dump and test runs.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    ...I hated rocker 122 and others and was in -3 range on those. I just hated long tail feelings, lack of charging and noodle tendencies...
    Well, if you hated those other ski models with similar tail rocker, then my guess is you won't like the Powabunga either. But I hope you like them, and your -3.5cm mount choice sounds reasonable to me. Knowing my own personal preferences on similar skis, my guess is my favorite spot on a Powabunga might be around -2.0cm to -2.5cm from true center...but everyone has different tastes. Have fun on those fatties!

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy