Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

BUYING AN ATV...WHAT DO I NEED?

So after 1.5 years and 2 winters in my little mountain paradise I've decided an ATV is needed (wanted). Use as a toy for sure but also to haul felled trees for firewood, plow my driveway and any other little task that I'm either too lazy or too old to do manually.

I've never had one so know absolutely dick. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    The Sheriff is near!

Honda Foreman. Power steering is nice.

I saw those...definitely would seem to fit the bill.
    The Sheriff is near!

Since you live in a hilly area, you'll need a friend with a tow winch to lift it off you when it flips over.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Check out the Yamaha Grizzly for utility. Not as fun as the Raptor, but much better for plowing and lugging things about.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Judging from the ATV owners I typically see, you'll need less teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    .an ATV is needed (wanted). Use as a toy for sure but also to haul felled trees for firewood, plow my driveway and any other little task that I'm either too lazy or too old to do manually. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    forget the toy aspect aand use it as a tool, a side by side with the roll bar & seatbelts is gona be way safer than one of them models that you straddle
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Name:  6xpower_atv.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  32.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    Name:  6xpower_atv.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  32.1 KB
    Looks like retirement is agreeing with Rex Ryan.

BUYING AN ATV...WHAT DO I NEED?

If you are going to be dragging trees or pulling anything with weight get a solid rear axel

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    forget the toy aspect aand use it as a tool, a side by side with the roll bar & seatbelts is gona be way safer than one of them models that you straddle
    Only if you get the roll bar reinforced

Honda Rancher 4x4. How much are you planning on spending? Add winch and blade for plowing and could get up to $10k although my FIL has had one of his Honda 4x4's for 20 years.

I'm in the same boat and gonna go With the Honda.

You need to trade it for a motorcycle
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

I picked up a used foreman 4x4 a few years back for the same reason and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. The thing has been bulletproof and way more useful than I could have imagined.

whats an ATV gona cost compared to a small tractor?

I worked on a cleanup job for that fuckign terrible movie "The Grey" a few year back, 2 of the guys on the crew had previously flipped their ride on tops and were still dealing with injuries , those things can be fucking dangerous

The guy paying the bills rented us a 6 man ranger to get the crew up into the alpine and that thing was 3 times as fast going up or down the hill
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have a 1994 (?) Honda fourtrax 300. I use it for plowing exclusively. Chained up on all four tires, I can move a bit of snow, without the expense of a full sized vehicle. If I get it stuck, I can usually lift it back onto the road. That might be hard to do with an 800 cc machine

^^^It's rare to see one with all three wheels on the ground like that.

I freaking loved riding around on the 3 wheeler when I was a kid. I blasted all over our farm on that bastard. Only managed to roll it over onto myself once and we probably had it for 5 years. Wish you child still find em. God damned Washington bureaucrats taking away my fun!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

New: $9-$11k for Honda or Yamaha w/700cc engine and all accessories; $7-8K for good John Deere (X360) with 48" blade and deck, and trailer
    My unit:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	936.7 KB 
ID:	199608
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Here are some opinions re: Honda Rancher v. Yamaha Grizzly:http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...zly-700-a.html

You might try to find a used side by side. I grew up running Honda Foremans for work and/or hunting. Very useful and with a winch you can pretty much anywhere. For hauling stuff a side by side is much more useful. They also ride much nicer especially in the winter. They cost quite a bit more new however and take up more space. Just some food for thought.

First winter spent living on Peak 7 in Breck. Lots of snow this year...Bought a Troy-Bilt Vortex snow blower over a quad w/ plow not knowing how right of a decision that would be...

The biggest issue with everyone this time of year is snow storage. My blower will chuck the snow over 30' and most importantly, up and over the snow banks. With a plow, you just push it around, but EVENTUALLY it will back up. Most of my neighbors are having push backs done (if they didn't have a professional / knowledgeable plow service from day 1).

Honda foreman is bulletproof and perfect for your needs. Stay far away from anything with a belt drive or "Polaris" written on it.

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    First winter spent living on Peak 7 in Breck. Lots of snow this year...Bought a Troy-Bilt Vortex snow blower over a quad w/ plow not knowing how right of a decision that would be...

The biggest issue with everyone this time of year is snow storage. My blower will chuck the snow over 30' and most importantly, up and over the snow banks. With a plow, you just push it around, but EVENTUALLY it will back up. Most of my neighbors are having push backs done (if they didn't have a professional / knowledgeable plow service from day 1).
    You need to consider your geography and what will work. My house allows me to continually push snow over the edge for most of my plowing. I do have a street side to plow and it piles up there

Yeah. True...that is why I mentioned the new homestead...implied but not obvious.

Although it takes 10 minutes to clear even deep snow on approx 1200 sq ft pavement driveway with this thing