Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Are you going to keep flogging your aeropress every time someone says they use something else?
    lol what are you talking about? I am just asking questions bro because I actually am not sure... Literally I am probably gonna do the cold brew idea next round up. Also thinking about doing the Greek coffee... I like pretty much all of the ideas, nothing wrong with asking some questions about how their processes work, that's why this thread is here bro

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    coffee is the next thing i'm quitting.
    No joke there is such a real opportunity to make a living in the coffee industry that doesn't involve being a barista nowadays. If there was anyway I could work in the industry part time... there would be no question. I just can't convince myself to go full on into it!

Jet oil with French press addon is the lightest option for anytime hot coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

coffee is the next thing i'm quitting.
    Coffee is the last thing I'm quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Coffee is the last thing I'm quitting.
    Right?

Things I'll quit before coffee: skiing, sex, life.

If you can't stand the Via instant, they make mocha and latte versions of it as well I believe, or you can get those cofeemate squirt bottles that have a bunch of flavors. A little original flavor cofeemate + a dash of last night's whiskey is a fine backcountry breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post

Here's my travel line-up
    I thought you were drinking chocolate milk this weekend, looks like it was coffee

Uwajimaya has some great Vietnamese canned coffees. I typically pick up a few before long trips. The cans are heavy though

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Jet oil with French press addon is the lightest option for anytime hot coffee.
    French press addon sounds like a real treat! thought i saw something like that at rei a while back but was skeptical, forgot about it and never read up on it. Apparently I was dead wrong, shoot... Honestly crazy how many different sick options there are and variety, gonna be hard to choose which I wanna try first honestly!

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I thought you were drinking chocolate milk this weekend, looks like it was coffee

Uwajimaya has some great Vietnamese canned coffees. I typically pick up a few before long trips. The cans are heavy though
    Heavy... but worth it!? funny that a supermarket would have coffee good like those babies!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post

Here's my travel line-up
    Milk carton iced coffee. That is pretty cool.

because i haven't used reasonable amounts for years. i'm trying to move to green tea. i'm jumpy enough as it is.
    There is White Tea too. Not processed at all. Just dried leaves.
    Snow Leopard (Bai Mu Dan) from Peets (Mighty Leaf Tea) full of Catechins/Flavinoids

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by Zennan View Post
    Do you have no problem ever using your msr instead of a briki? Obviously it's not going to be as amazing, but still does the job better than a via?
    Tastes the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Zennan View Post
    Really less labor? I feel like all you do with an aeropress is fill it up and leave it there to do its job.
    Let's compare. The following cancel each other out:

- boiling water
    - pouring water into whatever you're brewing with
    - disposing of grounds and filter

For Aeropress, I see a few added steps/considerations:

- plunge/pull
    - clean off plunger (or do it at home later)
    - perhaps slightly more important to get everything situated on a sturdy base
    - screw/unscrew the filter cap
    - more pieces to pack/unpack
    - Not readily clipped to outside of a pack

All this is really splitting hairs though. If the extra incremental effort involved in aeropress vs melitta is a deal-breaker for anyone, they have bigger issues. Personal preference, but the assessment stands that melitta is marginally less hassle vs aeropress. I have both and like both. I use a Hario V60 at home for my daily driver even though I think Aeropress tastes a bit better. Extra setup/cleaning with aeropress is the reason. I want to get up and get to work in as little time possible. Hario saves me like a minute on average. I love that minute.

I like the V60, but have switched to the clever coffee dripper at home now that I have a 1 yr old and it's worth not standing over the grounds with a kettle of hot water for the few minutes it takes to brew.

because i haven't used reasonable amounts for years. i'm trying to move to green tea. i'm jumpy enough as it is.
    Give matcha powder a try. Much more robust flavor and a lot more antioxidants since you're consuming the whole plant instead of just the water soluble compounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Jet oil
    That's hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Give matcha powder a try. Much more robust flavor and a lot more antioxidants since you're consuming the whole plant instead of just the water soluble compounds.
    i will thx!

So after reading this thread I ordered an aeropress from Amazon to try out and I am enjoying my first mug of coffee from it. Pretty neat gadget for $35. A little heavier than I figured it would be but a lot lighter and smaller than our double walled stainless french press and one heck of a lot easier to clean which is really important when camping. Coffee tastes the same to me as from our french press which is to say 1000% better than via's.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    So after reading this thread I ordered an aeropress from Amazon to try out and I am enjoying my first mug of coffee from it. Pretty neat gadget for $35. A little heavier than I figured it would be but a lot lighter and smaller than our double walled stainless french press and one heck of a lot easier to clean which is really important when camping. Coffee tastes the same to me as from our french press which is to say 1000% better than via's.
    Sweet. Thanks for the quick review. I'm about to order one for a month long car camping trip and a french press seemed like a pita.

Also, in the bc you guys don't have a barista sherpa around an espresso machine? Fucking peasants.

...our *double walled* stainless french press and...
    Aren't you going to miss the heat-keeping?
    Is Aeropress insulated?

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Aeropress are not insulated. I probably only let the grounds soak for a mine before plunging. One tip I just learned is the use the upside method https://www.google.com/amp/s/ineedco...-tutorial/amp/

^Good link for us jongs. I had the leakdown issue but it didn't seem to effect flavor. I didn't wet the filter. Oops.

Yeah I read one minute soak and then I kept half the water on the stove anyway to add after the press so it came out nice and hot. Really simple.

Drip is still my daily driver at home because lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Sweet. Thanks for the quick review. I'm about to order one for a month long car camping trip and a french press seemed like a pita.

Also, in the bc you guys don't have a barista sherpa around an espresso machine? Fucking peasants.
    Let us know how it turns out as well!

Ya I know I really am just an absolute loser, that's why I am considering just doing the heavy lifting myself and pulling an espresso machine up by myself when I do the JMT this summer don't wanna be left out from the people with their sherpas lol

Get the stainless steel filters (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...g&gclsrc=aw.ds). They're cheap, infinitely reusable, and IMO the coffee tastes better since the paper doesn't absorb the oils. You can also use very fine grounds which further speeds up brewing. Add water, stir for 15-30 seconds, press, done.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Aren't you going to miss the heat-keeping?
    Is Aeropress insulated?
    Not insulated, but not needed. Brewing takes 60 seconds max vs. 4 minutes with a french press so there isn't time for significant heat loss.

Get the stainless steel filters (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...g&gclsrc=aw.ds). They're cheap, infinitely reusable, and IMO the coffee tastes better since the paper doesn't absorb the oils.
    Thank you sir. My wife was bummed about the paper filters. This will fix that. And I need those oils.

We are dedicated car campers and quality coffee addicts - we have planned our trips to the rockies around exhausting days hikes the last few years. This summer my daughter is going to be seven and we are going in for a week. We have been gearing up (most of my stuff is a couple decades old) and agonizing over what do to about the coffee situation. I'm pretty sure this is going to work great for us.

The only downside is that you can only make one cup at a time. It baffles me that they haven't made a multi-cup version yet.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Aeropress are not insulated. I probably only let the grounds soak for a mine before plunging. One tip I just learned is the use the upside method https://www.google.com/amp/s/ineedco...-tutorial/amp/
    Another way I've seen to stop leaking is to do the normal method, but during the brewing you put the plunger in and make a good seal, then back it off slightly to create vacuum pressure above the liquid.

Or just do what most people do and start pressing it right away

Get the stainless steel filters (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...g&gclsrc=aw.ds). They're cheap, infinitely reusable, and IMO the coffee tastes better since the paper doesn't absorb the oils. You can also use very fine grounds which further speeds up brewing. Add water, stir for 15-30 seconds, press, done.
    I actually prefer the taste of coffee made through paper filters. I don't care for the flavor of the oils.

Not insulated, but not needed. Brewing takes 60 seconds max vs. 4 minutes with a french press so there isn't time for significant heat loss.

So why do people use paper filters instead of stainless steel? I've actually never heard of it before but sounds like some amazing benefits!