Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    Hah, save me from going down the rabbit hole of CPO X5ds from 2013 that somehow cost the same as my settlement check. Definitely going to look at the MDX. But the $10k premium over the mechanically-identical Pilot can only be explained by how incredibly ugly the Pilot is. Same drivetrain, same safety features, but the Pilot doesn't have the third row seating. Does anyone with kids actually end up using the third row, or is that just a useful threat to get the kiddos to be quiet on long road trips...?
    Pretty sure the handling, acceleration, and torque-vectoring AWD are still a cut above. Plus interior too.

But yeah, whether that's worth it for your purposes is questionable.

We have the third row in our 4R. Used it twice in 3.5 years of ownership. Once to cut down on cars with friends cruising around Apple Hill and wine tasting and whatnot. And one other time. Also have two kids and a dog, but the kids aren't old enough yet to be carting friends around. So may change in the future...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Remember, this thread is about Buick Opel wagons that don't exist yet...

Thread drifting aside, I think the MDX and Pilot have the same AWD system. MDX motor is slightly more powerful, and I think the 6-spd transmission is only in some Pilots. All MDX and high trim Pilots get the 9-spd, which has had some issues.

I still kinda want a Ridgeline. Test drove one and liked it. Hard to go to the dark side of FWD based vehicles though...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Third on checking out the CX-9. We've been looking at the CX-5 mostly, but the 9 has been on my radar for a while, too. No relation to Ford that I can see, and the reviews all seem to favor these as "driver's cars" when compared to similar crossovers. Mazda's approach to making fuel efficient gas engines is very interesting; I've seen sellers claiming they got 40 mpg with early CX-5's and it may only be a small exaggeration. Not sure how capable the AWD is when pressed and kinda torn between wanting a little more ground clearance and liking the stance from a fuel efficiency and handling standpoint, or we'd have pulled the trigger by now.

Ended up with a 2012 VW Jetta SportWagon. 36k miles, $12k. Super clean car.

Not a lot to choose from with wagons if you dont want a suby or a luxury vehicle. Crossovers arent the best utilizable space. VW Jetta wagon was the compromise, this particular one was just too clean to pass up.

Lady is stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Remember, this thread is about Buick Opel wagons that don't exist yet...

Thread drifting aside, I think the MDX and Pilot have the same AWD system. MDX motor is slightly more powerful, and I think the 6-spd transmission is only in some Pilots. All MDX and high trim Pilots get the 9-spd, which has had some issues.

I still kinda want a Ridgeline. Test drove one and liked it. Hard to go to the dark side of FWD based vehicles though...
    Exactly.

So: either get the Guard's Red 911S, or find a way to black market import a BrownEuroSpecRS6Avant6MTdieselWithAboxandstickers or can it.
    I still call it The Jake.

Blue.

Wait, sorry, I thought this was the "What Color Car Should I buy?" thread

The new model pilot has a third row. We use the third row (jump seats) in our land cruiser all the time. 3 kids: 6, 6, and 11 yo. Also for hauling kid friends.

Op: I thought you were going to move to nv city? If yes, consider a higher clearance vehicle with 4lo or equivalent and maybe body on frame

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    The new model pilot has a third row. We use the third row (jump seats) in our land cruiser all the time. 3 kids: 6, 6, and 11 yo. Also for hauling kid friends.

Op: I thought you were going to move to nv city? If yes, consider a higher clearance vehicle with 4lo or equivalent and maybe body on frame
    Not me. Live near Reno in Mt Rose highway.

Have two body on frame vehicles with 4WD and low range in the household now, Mrs C's Xterra and an old GMC Sierra for a camper. Used to have a 4Runner, sold it because it was uncomfortable on any longer trips.

Considering replacing my Lexus IS 350 AWD with something more versatile. Don't need 3rd row seating. Almost bought an Acura RDX a couple years ago, decided to hold onto the car longer, as I liked how it drives more than the Acura.

This winter's heavy snowfall got me thinking again about a replacement vehicle with a little more ground clearance than the Lexus (despite AWD + winter tires, can't do much with 15" of snow on the ground). Had to drive the GMC for awhile when they didn't plow the neighborhood streets much, and it isn't great in the snow.

Ridgeline ticks a lot of boxes for me... Doesn't drive as well as the car, which is to be expected.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Not me. Live near Reno in Mt Rose highway.

Have two body on frame vehicles with 4WD and low range in the household now, Mrs C's Xterra and an old GMC Sierra for a camper. Used to have a 4Runner, sold it because it was uncomfortable on any longer trips.

Considering replacing my Lexus IS 350 AWD with something more versatile. Don't need 3rd row seating. Almost bought an Acura RDX a couple years ago, decided to hold onto the car longer, as I liked how it drives more than the Acura.

This winter's heavy snowfall got me thinking again about a replacement vehicle with a little more ground clearance than the Lexus (despite AWD + winter tires, can't do much with 15" of snow on the ground). Had to drive the GMC for awhile when they didn't plow the neighborhood streets much, and it isn't great in the snow.

Ridgeline ticks a lot of boxes for me... Doesn't drive as well as the car, which is to be expected.
    Would the Ridgeline handle your camper?

Ugh. Sorry late night post while sick. I thought that the op, for some reason in the previous few posts was formerknuckledragger....

My friend who loved his RDX had to ditch it. It was an older model major engine failure. He thought that it was a fluke for the model. Acura/Honda could not diagnosis it correctly, they apparently had never seen the problem and he'd could not find it discussed online.

He really enjoyed that thing. It was fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Would the Ridgeline handle your camper?
    No chance. Old 3/4 ton GMC is staying around so long as we have the camper. Also handy for hauling wood pellets for the stove.

Hah, not the op, and while Nevada City is awesome (the Italian deli across from the municipal building makes AMAZING sandos), the wife wants to live in Squaw Valley or bust (she grew up there).

We're homing in on the MDX. This vid makes the AWD system seem more functional on slick, steep roads than competitors, although it's nearly a decade old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidkaqlW9ns. Will be checking out the Highlander and the CX-9, and maybe also a Volvo wagon (V60XC and the new V90XC). Learned that CVT-equipped Subarus have gone from a mechanical to an electric AWD system, which probably doesn't matter, but takes away some of the mystique.

Honda / Acura SH-AWD is their torque vectoring AWD system, used on the MDX and new Pilot, and also on the Ridgeline. It's one of the reasons I'm interested in it.

Old RDX had it, new one doesn't.

I like this better. About a 1/4 turn of the front wheel before the rear kicks in. Fast. Haldex 5th gen.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Lots of AWD comparison goodness on Jalopnik this week:

http://jalopnik.com/audi-just-oblite...ter-1792610312

Pretty funny stuff from Audi's twitter monitor. Even more funny stuff from the article comments:

"That’s what looks to be an older Audi A6 charging through flood waters deeper than the hood, right around a field of sad, stranded BMWs.

And then the Audi battery probably short circuited a few miles down the road, the navigation started speaking in tongues, and a timing chain exploded like a frag grenade, shredding the engine and the owner’s bank accounts.

But, nonetheless, Good One, Audi!"

Quattro vs X-Drive these days
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    )Learned that CVT-equipped Subarus have gone from a mechanical to an electric AWD system, which probably doesn't matter, but takes away some of the mystique.
    I call BS on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Lots of AWD comparison goodness on Jalopnik this week:

http://jalopnik.com/audi-just-oblite...ter-1792610312

Pretty funny stuff from Audi's twitter monitor. Even more funny stuff from the article comments:

"That’s what looks to be an older Audi A6 charging through flood waters deeper than the hood, right around a field of sad, stranded BMWs.

And then the Audi battery probably short circuited a few miles down the road, the navigation started speaking in tongues, and a timing chain exploded like a frag grenade, shredding the engine and the owner’s bank accounts.

But, nonetheless, Good One, Audi!"

Quattro vs X-Drive these days
    Hilarious. My buddy's wife just totaled his 2014 or 2015 Audi A6 by attempting to drive through standing water. Flooded the exhaust and engine. Repair estimate was $31K, so insurance totaled it.

Funny how people who've prolly had a salad or 2 still don't know that oil and water don't mix.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I'd actually consider one of these if my Outback ever dies. Of course, it won't, so there's that.

I think I just noticed the new ridgeline for the first time. It definitely looks better than the previous version.

Anyone get the we have to run a credit report on you to comply with the patriot act even if you are paying cash? What a bunch of BS.

That's to make sure you aren't paying with a hot check.

Chances are if your beacon is a 450, the 60k check you handed over from your personal account, might not be good.

The Patriot Act part has to do with whats called a OFAC. It is illegal to sell a car to a known terrorist. Your information is run through a database, to see if you are on a watch list.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Re: various awd systems, a good link: http://m.awdwiki.com/en/subaru/

My cvt crosstrek has been outstanding during this big winter. Few weeks ago we got a couple feet of wet snow at lake level, which got deep ruts from some larger trucks...ruts froze hard overnight. Next day most of our neighbors (RAV4, older taco, etc) couldn't avoid getting stuck. Crosstrek with newish snow tires did fine

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    That's to make sure you aren't paying with a hot check.

Chances are if your beacon is a 450, the 60k check you handed over from your personal account, might not be good.

The Patriot Act part has to do with whats called a OFAC. It is illegal to sell a car to a known terrorist. Your information is run through a database, to see if you are on a watch list.
    It was my understanding that your drivers id and social security # was all they needed to run an OFAC check. That's what the dealer did where we ended up buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    Anyone get the we have to run a credit report on you to comply with the patriot act even if you are paying cash? What a bunch of BS.
    do you mean stacks of bills cash or a cashiers check for the full amount which I would also consider to be "paying cash"?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know