Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Honda Element replacement suggestions

I absolutely love my '03 Element, but it's getting up there in years. It'll cross 200k miles soon, and while I plan to drive it until it won't I'm bracing myself for the inevitable breakdown. Knowing full well that's there's no longer a one-to-one replacement for the things I love about the Element, I'd love some suggestions on a replacement that would at least check most of the following boxes:

• All-wheel drive or, less preferably, 4-wheel drive.
    • As much cargo space as possible, ideally with the ability to sleep in it for a night or two at a time.
    • Since no-one makes a car with a plastic and rubber interior anymore, one with quality aftermaket cargo space protectors readily available.
    • As reliable and easy as my Element has been. While I want the versatility of a something that can handle my frequent trips to the mountains (especially in winter), this will be my only car. I don't want a 90's cargo van that I'd have to worry about breaking down on my way to work.

The obvious answer is something akin to a Subaru Outback or Forester, maybe with the addition of a Tepui tent since car camping in them would be a little more cramped than in the Element. I'm also a little hesitant on Subies in particular, what with all the maintenance quirks they seem to have year in and year out. I've glanced at Volvo, too, but I know even less about them than Subies.

The other option I've been considering is going full-on adventuremobile and opting for a 4WD Sprinter. My hesitation would be its utility as a day-to-day commuter, along with the fact that it might not fit through the In-N-Out drive-thru. I'm kind of hoping that with the emergence of this market in the last few years someone will put out an AWD, consumer-oriented version of something a little smaller like the Ford Transit.

Anyway, I'd love to hear thoughts and suggestions, especially from anyone out there that has had to specifically replace an Element. Thanks.

Awd express van + inexpensive camry/civic if two cars is an option.

If you can do fwd + good tires a transit connect could be a good compromise.

Went through a similar thing last year. Ended up with an Astro (not commuting with it though) after flirting and test driving Elements, Outbacks, gen 3 Montero and Isuzu Troopers.

Outback is the obvious drop in replacement. Longer but less head room for sleeping. Better mpg and better awd than Element. Newer ones are free of head gasket issues in my understanding.

Budget and kind of terrain you regularly travel in may help others make suggestions. An Element and 4x4 Sprinter are quite different in price.

Thanks, @doebedoe. Two cars isn't really an option at the moment due to my living situation (i.e. nowhere to put a second vehicle), but it's something I hadn't considered. Seems like it might be more hassle than it's worth, but who knows. Maybe it's the way to go, and if the Element doesn't live long enough get me to a point where it makes sense, maybe its replacement is just a stop-gap until then.

Budget-wise, new 4x4 Sprinters come in around $50k. That's probably the very bleeding edge of my range. I bought the Element at an awesome price when I was a poor college student. One of the best investments I've ever made.

Terrain-wise, nothing crazy. The only off-roading would be getting to and from campsites, backcountry ski access, etc. My big reason for the AWD/4WD is that I travel to areas in the winter often under 2WD chain control, and I don't want to be messing around with chains except in the most dire of circumstances.

Hope that helps.

Right on @Hott. I didn't know they made them with AWD.

Why not just buy a newer Element?

Considered that. It's always an option, but the last production year was 2011. Considering those were basically the 2003s with some cosmetic upgrades, the longer my current Element holds out the worse the 2011s compare with newer models on things like safety, mpg, emissions, etc.

Loved the element. Especially the camper top version

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Considered that. It's always an option, but the last production year was 2011. Considering those were basically the 2003s with some cosmetic upgrades, the longer my current Element holds out the worse the 2011s compare with newer models on things like safety, mpg, emissions, etc.
    Just a heads up -- later model Elements don't have as much room for sleeping in the back if you ar 6'+ as the pre-'06? versions. Has to do with how far the front seats slide/lean forward.

If an AWD Sienna can get you where you want to go then it's a good option. Super easy to drive long distance, awesome amount of space, luxurious compared to an Element. Decent MPG too. Just lacks clearance for gnarlier forest roads. (Not sure about lifting / upsizing tires on Sienna.)

Where are you leaning -- van, SUV or wagon?

Ford Flex, it's a bigger Element. For reference, my stable is currently

2008 GL320 (for sale)
    2006 Element AWD
    1990 Vanagon Multivan (Westfalia without the built in kitchen)
    2010 Ford Flex AWD
    2006 Sprinter T1N

The main drawback of the Flex is the ground clearance is not great.

There is a hole in the market for what you want.....

AWD sienna or Outback are good options.

The other good option would be a small truck with a camper shell... IE 4wd regular cab taco or colorado...
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Where are you leaning -- van, SUV or wagon?
    If the Element was to crap out tomorrow, wagon with a Tepui, Küat, etc. makes the most sense. If I have a year or more to save, I'm hoping someone will announce a new model that amounts to a smaller AWD/4WD Sprinter.

Rav 4? Comes in an AWD hybrid version now.

AWD sienna seems like the closest option. You could also consider a pilot if you want to stay honda, not as tall as an element but lots of space in there.

We have an awd sienna. Best car we've ever owned. 25 k for a low mile lease return, take the other and add a pop top sleeper conversion and don't look back.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    We have an awd sienna. Best car we've ever owned. 25 k for a low mile lease return, take the other and add a pop top sleeper conversion and don't look back.
    What do you mean "take the other"?

Sienna has similar ground clearance (6.5") to Element (6.9"). But it's significantly longer wheelbase (+14") and longer overhangs will make it less able on forest service roads if that matters.

If the Sienna could easily be lifted 2" and outfitted with more aggressive tires it'd be a killer option.

Of course what we all really want is for Yota to make their UUV concept (a Sienna body on a Tacoma frame) a reality: http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.c...show+debut.htm

Ground clearance has been one of my few gripes with the Element. Not the easiest to blast through a foot+ of snow with only 6.9" between you and the road.

If you're pricing out sprinters seriously consider the AWD GM Van like doebedoe mentioned. It was available on GMC Savanna and Chevy Express 1500's made up to 2014 and it's still possible to find a low millage later year version around.

Ours is pretty much unstoppable in deep snow and even has a rubber floor (its an ex candian rental van so budget trim with a few options).

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    You are going to be hard pressed to find anything as roomy, with as good fuel economy.
    The Element is in a league of its own as far as utility and car-like comfort.

The biggest challenge is finding anything SUV-like that has anywhere near as good fuel economy.
    If that doesn't matter, than there are lots of choices in vans and 4x4's.
    Good luck!
    Really depends on the comparison. The Elements complete lack of aerodynamics don't make it exceptional mpg wise. In fact the Honda Pilot AWD gets better mpg ratings than the Element AWD. Rav4 and most Subies also beat it in MPG.

But compared to a full size AWD van or full size 4x4 -- yeah Element is typically far superior. Although the Sienna AWD and the Ford Transit Connect (only avail in FWD) are similar to Elements MPG but with more room.

Quote Originally Posted by hillmap View Post
    If you're pricing out sprinters seriously consider the AWD GM Van like doebedoe mentioned. It was available on GMC Savanna and Chevy Express 1500's made up to 2014 and it's still possible to find a low millage later year version around.

Ours is pretty much unstoppable in deep snow and even has a rubber floor (its an ex candian rental van so budget trim with a few options).
    Only benefit I see to sprinter vs Savanna / Express is the headroom. However it doesn't sound like OP is planning to live in his van perhaps headroom is not a priority. (And if it is, I'd seriously consider a Ford Transit with a 4x4 conversion vs a Sprinter simply due to maintenance cost and availability. Transit and its 4x4 conversions reuse lots of F150 components.) Multiple companies also will do a pop-top on a Savanna/Express which gives you tons of space, allows you to still fit in most garages and can even put a ski box on top. Isn't as well insulated for long winter adventures though.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    I'm not sure where you are getting your data. You won't find any AWD Vans, Minivans, or SUV's that beat the Element for fuel economy (AWD versions).
    I have a roof box and hitch. I average 11.5 - 12 L/100 KM.
    Which is not bad for any SUV type vehicle.
    Not sure if this compares 4x4 models, but the stats for my vehicle based on real user feedback:

http://www.fuelly.com/
    Honda Element 2005 10.8L/100km
    Honda Pilot 2005 13.6 L/100km

And yes, it is basically a toaster on wheels. But it manages really good mpg for the type of vehicle.
    My post was based on EPAs estimates of the most recent available model year of each vehicle.

Yes -- if you compare direct year (2005 vs 2005) pilot doesn't get as good as MPG. Given that OP is looking to replace with a newer vehicle I think the question is "will my new vehicle get better/worse/same mpg as my old" -- not if an 05 Element got better mpgs than an 05 pilot.

Going on Fuelly alone (if we trust those more) a new-ish Pilot gets better MPG than an '03 Element. 4-banger Outbacks and Rav4s have always had better mileage than an Element ever had (3.6 outbacks are similar MPG to Elements.) Modern Sienna get the same overall mileage as '03 Elements.

2010+ Outback has 8.7 inches of ground clearance. Find one with a manual, if you don't want a manual, find one with the 3.6 H6, it's got a better AWD system than the 4 cylinders. The 4 cylinders have a fwd bias, which is similar to the Honda system. the 6 cylinder ones have a little different center diff. The manual ones have a different AWD system as well.

Two very car/truck savy friends love the new Honda Pilot. Intended use is similar as op described.

Well, I think I jinxed myself. $400 brake job today from a stuck caliper that turned into a scored rotor. Not a breakdown, but $400 repairs are getting less and less worth it. Gonna start seriously looking this weekend. Any opinions out there on Volvo or Audi AWD wagons? I know you're usually paying a premium for the name, but I don't want to rule them out just because they're classified as "luxury."

10 year old XC70's cost less than Outbacks around here. They also make more power with better gas mileage (according to the EPA anyway). Early models had transmission problem. 2006 and 2007 are solid and cheap. You can sleep in the back if you're under 6'.

Volvo xc70s are pretty dope. Very comfy ride.

Audi's have sick AWD. But if $400 brake jobs piss you off you'll hate owning an Audi after a few years.