Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Well, how was it today boys? Everything you've ever dreamed of and more?

I got to AM around 11, and lots were full. Lines though, were not bad. Laps on smooth buttercream on the traverse out South Face, until it got a little gluey.

Hey KSL....why don't you do a beer only line at the Ice Bar? 10 min line with one guy making dogs and sausages blows.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

So the pass prices for Squaw/Alpine are out for next year. Looks like they may have went up a little, not enough in my world. However, the big move KSL is making is blacking out the Bronze pass on weekends. Not sure this is going to solve anything, with regards to traffic, but what the hell.

I think traffic may get less, thanks to KSL pissing everyone off and people leaving for other resorts. Thoughts anyone?

IMHO, the negligible increase in pass prices means that we'll see a lot of the same traffic issues next year (assuming similar snow conditions). The people who are turned off from Squaw will be folks who came to Tahoe and stayed in TC or Truckee for a day or two and got skunked by the full parking lots and traffic on 89.

If there really were 70,000 passes sold this year, I doubt the day ticket traffic is a meaningful number.

I do expect more people to buy the garage parking pass though. Gone are the days of scoring an easy top level spot at 8:30. Of note, Squaw started parking non-garage passholders in the lowest level during the World Cup. Semi-infuriating, but that's what this thread is for...

The Tahoe Photographer Who’s Seen It All

Since moving to Tahoe in 1972, Hank de Vré has shot just about every discipline in skiing

March 15, 2017

"If you look at Vail’s advertising demographics, it’s usually people skiing the flats or shopping. That’s what Squaw wants me to do… take pictures of people drinking hot chocolate. And it’s like they’re tearing my heart out. They’re telling me: ‘Oh, that shot looks too steep!’"

Read more at http://www.powder.com/stories/interv...lFF8taaYOWB.99

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    "If you look at Vail’s advertising demographics, it’s usually people skiing the flats or shopping. That’s what Squaw wants me to do… take pictures of people drinking hot chocolate. And it’s like they’re tearing my heart out. They’re telling me: ‘Oh, that shot looks too steep!’"
    The path to Heaven is groomed.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    The path to Heaven is groomed.
    Unfortunately, ski resorts know that "the money is in the blues." I've talked about this before but I was shocked that KSL did almost nothing to improve the intermediate ski experience at Squaw or Alpine, especially if they want to be a destination resort. For intermediates, Heavenly and Northstar are better options than Squaw or Alpine especially on storm days.

Say what you will about Vail but they really know how to make money off skiing. SVSH, not so much. Maybe KSL big wigs should start taking notice how much money Vail is making.

The joke is that's the slogan on a (Squaw) billboard on 80. Which my wife saw, and said "oh look, Northstar is advertising." I laughed.

The joke is that's the slogan on a (Squaw) billboard on 80. Which my wife saw, and said "oh look, Northstar is advertising." I laughed.
    That is funny. Looks like KSL is trying to copy Vail's advertising. I just hope that Vail's customers aren't expecting a "Vail experience" at Squaw or Alpine because they are going to get a surprise.

Headed out next month. What is mid April like? Still a traffic/parking shitshow for weekend corn?
    I assume mid week should be ok.

PS - there is no actual simple trail map on the website. Finally found real maps at skimap.org
    Liking the old topo version
    https://skimap.org/data/538/1923/1453590645.jpg

Downloaded the app figuring that would be better, and holy shit do they get perpetual rights to all your photos, messages, gps track etc? They also admit they track you even when you are not using the app, so they can know where you live and whether you shop at nordstroms or sears? Can't even open the map without giving up an email that they confess they will send marketing crap to (after they cross link that to all other data on who you are based on the email addy)?

PPS - 45% intermediate? only 35% advanced? 25% BEGINNER? Seriously?? Makes that Devries article ring true. And the ads and billboards showing the amazing groomers being carved up by happy yuppy families.

did a quick math check, based on the 134 "trails" listed on the web site status page, I get 64% black 25% blue 10% green trails.

Glad to be going back there if nothing else to enjoy the mountain before the 8 story 100 foot buildings and 90,000 square foot waterpark.

Vibes to the locals. sucks to be under KSL. Had no idea how bad it was getting.
    . . .

midweek ok. If we get fresh snow traffic and parking could still be an issue on the weekend--based on last Saturday where the lots filled by 9.
    Don't worry about the map; just pick up a copy of Squallywood.

Average April weekend without late season powder should be fairly mellow. With the base we have right now, you're gonna be stoked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Average April weekend without late season powder should be fairly mellow. With the base we have right now, you're gonna be stoked.
    Mid-week will be mostly a ghost town, absent 3+ inches overnight.

Watch the temps. If we're in a solid corn cycle, you can make a great day chasing the sun across the mountain. But woe to you if you start too early, or worse, too late.

No need for a map - you can see most of what you're going to want to ski from the chair on KT and Headwall. It's worth exploring over on Granite Chief as well, but it's a slow triple chair, best reserved for midweek when there are no lines.

I think this comes under the bitch category.
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 560
Size:  56.3 KB

the first yellow column is the overnight temps on Squaw summit last night

Dog Leg was fun after it softened enough for patrol to open it. I should have gotten on the mountain earlier this morning. People seemed to be having fun on the other north facing stuff--I was too lazy.

^^^ I blame KSL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    ^^^ I blame KSL.
    I blame Trump.

The people who are turned off from Squaw will be folks who came to Tahoe and stayed in TC or Truckee for a day or two and got skunked by the full parking lots and traffic on 89
    Not true. A lot more people are turned off on Squaw than just unlucky day trippers who get skunked on parking. I've skied there 30 years, owned a home in the valley since '99, have a locker and preferred parking. It doesn't get any easier and yet I still fucking hate it there now. 2017-18 is the first year I won't buy a Squaw pass since maybe 2001. I bought a mountain collective pass for next year, and will be spending my next winter seeking quality over quantity, plus more time in the bc. KSL blows.

I keep forgetting to Bitch about squaw taking the footrests off the safety bar on Headwall. MFers thwarting my chairlift laze.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I keep forgetting to Bitch about squaw taking the footrests off the safety bar on Headwall. MFers thwarting my chairlift laze.
    ANIMALS!!!!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by chill winston View Post
    Not true. A lot more people are turned off on Squaw than just unlucky day trippers who get skunked on parking. I've skied there 30 years, owned a home in the valley since '99, have a locker and preferred parking. It doesn't get any easier and yet I still fucking hate it there now. 2017-18 is the first year I won't buy a Squaw pass since maybe 2001. I bought a mountain collective pass for next year, and will be spending my next winter seeking quality over quantity, plus more time in the bc. KSL blows.
    Okay, those people will also be pissed and turned off. Where in the valley? We're on Forest Glen. And our kids demand that we park in the middle level of the parking garage, even when the top lot is empty. 4 year olds are weird.

Impressive parking overflow clusterfuck at squaw on this nice spring day. Crammed everywhere and down the road past the meadow almost to the resort turn-off. Still full at 3 w the added bonus of cars backed up down to the resort rd trying to get to the music fest or whatever the fuck brought all the hipster campers in.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Impressive parking overflow clusterfuck at squaw on this nice spring day. Crammed everywhere and down the road past the meadow almost to the resort turn-off. Still full at 3 w the added bonus of cars backed up down to the resort rd trying to get to the music fest or whatever the fuck brought all the hipster campers in.
    those hipster campers paid a pretty penny for their tickets--I don't imagine they are any happier with KSL than you are, or any happier with you and the other skiing douches than you are with them. You should try listening to bluegrass--might mellow you out. Or stay home--then there would be one less car trying to park. (As you can tell, that's what I'm doing today. Back to skiing tomorrow.)

BTW you are mixing up hipsters and hippies. Hippies like bluegrass, hipsters don't. Hippies camp, hipsters never leave the city--it's hard to squat and build a fire wearing skinny jeans.
    Last edited by old goat; 04-02-2017 at 12:30 PM.

KSL just bought a bunch of new resorts, in partnership with Aspen. While my heart goes out to those areas that are now a part of "the machine", it does give some new areas for Andy W to @#$% up. I say we pass a collection plate to send him back to Steamboat!
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    those hipster campers paid a pretty penny for their tickets--I don't imagine they are any happier with KSL than you are, or any happier with you and the other skiing douches than you are with them. You should try listening to bluegrass--might mellow you out. Or stay home--then there would be one less car trying to park. (As you can tell, that's what I'm doing today. Back to skiing tomorrow.)

BTW you are mixing up hipsters and hippies. Hippies like bluegrass, hipsters don't. Hippies camp, hipsters never leave the city--it's hard to squat and build a fire wearing skinny jeans.
    Actually, hipsters do camp in those fancy 12' long mini campers. It is a thing these days. Along with the beards and skinny jeans and small bmx bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    KSL just bought a bunch of new resorts, in partnership with Aspen. While my heart goes out to those areas that are now a part of "the machine", it does give some new areas for Andy W to @#$% up. I say we pass a collection plate to send him back to Steamboat!
    Funny as there talk of a gofundme on the KW FB page to get Vail out of there. How hard is it to get $20 million collected?