Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I tune myself most of the time. I always ski with a gummi after I tune them or they get machined. Because either I was to drunk to get the detuning just right, or the shop rat was.

Either way, most places I've gone typically detune a bit. But I've noticed that how much less sharp and exactly where can vary a lot by ski design. So not surprising to me that Evo doesn't get it dialed, I doubt any shop really could get it just so.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I doubt ON3P does anything after pulling them off the machine, but I don't know for sure.
    ON3P does actually detune from the factory.

That said I agree that most shops are not going to match a factory detune, especially for a niche brand that doesn't commonly come through the shop (yes I know Evo is a ON3P dealer, but they don't carry them in the Denver store and Edgeworks didn't see many pairs). I always plan on detuning skis after having a shop tune them.

Best tune/ski repair in Denver?

I had my Lhasas tuned and repaired at Evo last week. Haven't skied since but on the restaurant after note I walked to Zeps Epiq sandwiches down the street and had a Korean Cheesesteak that was to die for when I saw that Denver Ted's (authentic, delicious cheesesteaks) was closed. It's also around the corner.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

^^If you have time, please report back after you've skied them. Just curious if my experience is common or not.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

A detune is part of the finishing process at ON3P. It is much more involved than just a few extra gummy passes in the tip and tail.
    Last edited by XavierD; 02-22-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Best tune/ski repair in Denver?

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^If you have time, please report back after you've skied them. Just curious if my experience is common or not.
    Probably gonna be next year unfortunately. Maybe call them and ask what's up or why that could've happened to your skis.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Prolly just have Evo tune them again after my next trip to CB in two weeks, and see if they're the same. As long as they are consistent, I certainly don't mind detuning myself.

I feel like this got a little blown out of proportion.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Personally I'd rather detune the skis myself since it's much harder to make them sharp again.

From what I remember, ON3P detunes based on the sidecut rather than the rocker profile, e.g. they start the detune roughly where the taper starts. I started heavily detuning my skis on the taper and I like the way they ski. YMMV

Do we need to have a tune your own fucking skis thread?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by spchin24 View Post
    Personally I'd rather detune the skis myself since it's much harder to make them sharp again.

From what I remember, ON3P detunes based on the sidecut rather than the rocker profile, e.g. they start the detune roughly where the taper starts. I started heavily detuning my skis on the taper and I like the way they ski. YMMV
    Using sidecut as the starting point has been my approach as well. Actually, I start by detuning a bit less for reasons mentioned - easier to detune than to retune.

On my GPOs, BGs, and Atomic Automatics, I'm anywhere from -1cm to + 5cm of the taper points (+5cm = more detuning).

Obviously, this is both skier and snow dependent - something you couldn't expect a shop to know.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I feel like this got a little blown out of proportion.
    Well duh, the conversation over next years gear has fizzled out, everyone knows how their current skis perform, and now have almost fuck all to consume our boring pedestrian lives other than talk about tuning your skis.

Ive had good luck with Larsons and Edgeworks in the past. Next time you get them tuned once they are finished have them bring out a base bevel and double check the tune.

A response to several comments in this and other threads:

Edge De-tuning vs Hanging Burr Removal
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    A response to several comments in this and other threads:

Edge De-tuning vs Hanging Burr Removal
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    It might just be that you have an edge burr rolled down biting snow and you just need to deburr it with a hard stone or diamond(base and side) to smooth it out. If that doesn't work, reset your bevels to 1/1 and deburr and detune to your liking
    Its been mentioned. You did a way better job explaining than me though!

Any updates on the best spot in Denver (hopefully reasonable to downtown)? All that was great about Edgeworks is long gone (RIP) and Evo has permeated the place -- had to basically beg to have a 1/1 tune. I've found a new spot for bike work, but still struggling to find someone to work on skis. Price isn't driving it; just want a shop that understands skis and does quality work with a good turnaround time.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCO View Post
    Any updates on the best spot in Denver (hopefully reasonable to downtown)? All that was great about Edgeworks is long gone (RIP) and Evo has permeated the place -- had to basically beg to have a 1/1 tune. I've found a new spot for bike work, but still struggling to find someone to work on skis. Price isn't driving it; just want a shop that understands skis and does quality work with a good turnaround time.
    You figure out the spot Jimmy?

My recommendations from earlier in the thread still stand.

Denver Sports Lab
    Larson's Ski and Sport

Both will tune to whatever bevels you want and do a good job. However, do understand that neither will detune AT ALL so be prepared to detune to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    My recommendations from earlier in the thread still stand.

Denver Sports Lab
    Larson's Ski and Sport

Both will tune to whatever bevels you want and do a good job. However, do understand that neither will detune AT ALL so be prepared to detune to your liking.
    Awesome, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCO View Post
    I always thought 1/1 was the standard. Is that not the case?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I always thought 1/1 was the standard. Is that not the case?
    That's always been my impression. I wonder what's up.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

without going gapic about edge angles I don't see why, absent a specific customer request, they wouldn't put it to the same angle that's already there. If they can't or won't or don't think about it then it might give me some pause. I dunno if the only pair I have that's not 1/1, which are 1/3 (3/1?) would really ski all that different on a 1/1 but I'd still not like it if I took them to a shop and they came back with a 1/1. Putting it back to 1/3 is easy enough that it wouldn't be worth bitching and waiting instead of just skiing them until the edges need work again, but I might give them a bit of shit next time I wnet in.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    without going gapic about edge angles I don't see why, absent a specific customer request, they wouldn't put it to the same angle that's already there. If they can't or won't or don't think about it then it might give me some pause. I dunno if the only pair I have that's not 1/1, which are 1/3 (3/1?) would really ski all that different on a 1/1 but I'd still not like it if I took them to a shop and they came back with a 1/1. Putting it back to 1/3 is easy enough that it wouldn't be worth bitching and waiting instead of just skiing them until the edges need work again, but I might give them a bit of shit next time I wnet in.
    If you take it to a shop and don't specify what bevels you want/prefer and they come back with a fairly standard 1/1, I'm going to go ahead and say that's on you, straight up!

Almost every ski comes out of the factory at 1&2, that’s the best all around combination there is. Good grip, good slip.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    If you take it to a shop and don't specify what bevels you want/prefer and they come back with a fairly standard 1/1, I'm going to go ahead and say that's on you, straight up!
    fair enough, Yah I think I gotta agree with that. I reckon if it doesn't matter enough to speak up, you get what they give ya. Seems odd they'd go through the extra work of changing the angle but honestly probably the only reason i'd even notice is because the only guide I own is 87.

Probably mentioned upthread but Broomfield Rentals has done a bunch of work for me and is always pretty top notch. And, yes, you can also rent a ditch witch.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Almost every ski comes out of the factory at 1&2, that’s the best all around combination there is. Good grip, good slip.
    Except a lot of them don't. Moment and On3p both come 1/1.