Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ^^ nice pics!

Turbo advice

Subie turbos from '05 had a problem with the oil intake. Lots of turbo failures, look it up on google. Was the fault of a stupid and unnecessary oil screen on the oil line to the turbo, called a "banjo bolt". I had a big fight about it with Subaru USA in New Jersey and predictably got nowhere. If you find a good condition turbo check the screen. If it is clogged the turbo may be running on borrowed time. If it is ok then buy the car, pull the screen out, and get oil changes (synthetic) every 3k like your life depends on it.

I believe ours was an '06 and removing the banjo bolt got us to 186k or so. I'd steer clear as that fixed one problem but there were many others.

Get an audi wagon. Dime a dozen, and more reliable.

Have an '04 H6 that I bought with 155K when I had to sell my 5spd 3rd gen 4Runner since the GF would've demolished the clutch in about a week here in SF.

Only two problems thus far:
    Original power steering pump went at about 163K. I knew this was an issue when I bought it
    Original alternator went at 174K

Other than it it's taken a beating but remains fairly sound mechanically.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2095.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	199147

Thanks for all the advice mangs. I just bought a 2005 non turbo H4 with 116000 miles. Automatic (wish it was a manual). Great body. Interior is kinda meh
    But should be a fun ride for a few years

Will those stock racks hold my Thule box ?

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2095.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	199147

Thanks for all the advice mangs. I just bought a 2005 non turbo H4 with 116000 miles. Automatic (wish it was a manual). Great body. Interior is kinda meh
    But should be a fun ride for a few years

Will those stock racks hold my Thule box ?
    They will but rear hatch/box interference is likely unless you install aftermarket crossbars on top of it to raise it up a bit. Even then you might have issues but on my newer Yak box there is more than enough adjustment to keep it clear on the yak crossbars.

My Box (Thule Atlantis 1600) is wider than the rack system. Looking at the Thule website I think I need new clamps to attach to the rack and new square bars

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-...ck-450-_-13900

Anyone got a set they want to sell ?

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Bad day to ask this question. Spent the day rewiring the hatch of the Mrs.' 06. Fixing things on a car doesn't bother me. Fixing things because they wanted to save 5¥ on an inch longer wire pisses me off.
    goddamn! we had that rear wiring harness issue on our [current] 2005 2.5i when we bought it a few years back. 3-4mo into ownership and the whole rear goes dark...

I've had a 1991 Legacy Wagon 2.2L, 2001 Outback 3.0 VDC Wagon and our current 2005 Outback 2.5i. 2.2L was pretty damn solid, especially for its history. The H6 on the 2001 was money, but it had a weird alternator issue that cost me $2k to figure out and finally sell the car. The 05 has been trusty for 60k over 4yrs, but at 185k, we've had to do a few costly repairs (not gaskets or belts) that I didn't expect. I like the body style and feel of the 4th gen, but I question the long-term reliability compared to the 1st and 2nd gen that lost of people pumped 200-300k out of.

I had the same issue Doctor, only the other side. Got the car home and noticed the radio wasn't picking up many FM stations and No AM. started researching and found out about the wire breaking issue at the hatchback . Sure enough, had two broken wires that supply the antenna amp. Wires were fixed and now Im jamming
    Now I gotta try to fix the seat heaters. Another Subie design flaw

Wife's Outback has started doing something annoying recently. On two occasions, the passenger seat belt chime started going off with no one in the seat. She's got it booked in the shop on Tuesday. Hopefully they can fix it because it gets on her nerves on her 30min commute to/from work.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

My 1999 legacy has been pretty solid given it's approaching 300k

Had the speedo head problem
    Had the plastic piece that goes into the top of the radiator explode
    Had the center differential thing go bad.

Otherwise routine maintenance
    I rip the groomed on tele gear