Ski Pants Shortening...Recommendations??

Anyone out there ever have a pair of ski pants shortened? Just got a pair sent back from Patagonia stating that they won't do the alteration because they don't have the right seam-tape. I've see a few places that do Tech gear repair/alterations, Rainy Pass and Techtahoe. Anyone have any experience with either of these.... Anyone have any others to suggest.

Thanks,
    Capt'n Stumpy Legs.....

Rainy pass is great, used them twice, perfect both times.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Rainypass is great, but I'd argue that if it's just a cuff, any tailor can do it. The seam won't be waterproof, but it's at the bottom of your leg and is just going to be resting on top of your boot so I'm not sure that matters much. If you care about waterproofing, a bit of seam sealer or silicone caulk on the inside of the seam would work.

^^^ this

^^^ that

Shortening cuffs is usually an easy peasy sewing project. Do the pants have a gaiter?

Yea - the have a gaiter and the amount of material that needs to be cut out will really reduce the scuff guard. I'll give Rainy Pass a shout. Thanks. Any other suggestions welcomed!

When I shorten pants more than a couple inches I reposition the scuff guard or make a new one from Cordura or ballistics cloth. If you aren't chopping off too much there's a slick and easy way to shorten the gaiter. You'll need to decide between repositioning the gaiter (PITA) vs. shortening it (easier).

Rainy Pass does good work but not cheap.

Yea - I've done some of my own hack jobs on ski pants before, but was hoping to have this one done professionally. It was going to be $50 for Patagonia to do it, until they determined they couldn't do it due to not having the right seam tape. From what I understand they actually hackout the material between the knee and the cuff guard. I'll be curious how Rainey Pass will plan to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmtnman View Post
    From what I understand they actually hackout the material between the knee and the cuff guard.
    Ah sure. That'd be an easy way to do it. Do you not have a friend nearby with a sewing machine and sewing chops?

I just had a pair shortened by spirit west. They removed the material from between the top of the gator to the knee (depending on how much needed to be removed) so the rest of the dimensions of the pants stayed the same. Once done they were seam sealed and look like new

Rainy Pass did a great job installing knee patches on a pair of pants. It cost a bit over $100, however. I'd guess that shortening, moving the scuff guard and gator is a similar amount of labor.

Their work was impeccable!

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-26-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I've used Tec-Tahoe for replacing a wetsuit zipper and they were fine for that. I tried to email them once about a possible job and they didn't answer. They did answer the phone. (They didn't want the job--making me a pack from scratch.)