Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys

Belize or Mexico?

Heading south for a week-ish this April with the wife for a belated honeymoon/fly fishing/beach trip. We're just beginning to look at a few places in Belize as well as Costa de Cocos in Xcalak, MX. Neither of us have ever been to the region, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with choices.

At a glance, the prices for airfare and packages seem pretty comparable across the the board, unless I'm missing something. Going through an all-inclusive seems like the best bang for our buck, no? We don't need 5* accommodations, but not necessarily looking to dirtbag it either.

So, I guess I'm looking for recommendations for specific lodges/resorts, reasons to go to MX over BZ/ vise-versa, places/outfitters to see or avoid, and whatever info you brilliant mags might be hoarding.

Thanks in advance!
    Al

The drive to Xcalak from Cancun can be brutal at times, permit fishing can be better than BZ though.

I'll be about halfway btwn Cancun and Xcalak 4/2-10. Never messed around there before either. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    On a quick glance, I don't see reference to fishing on their website? DIY options in the area or am I overlooking it?

Coco Plum in Belize did right by us.
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    On a quick glance, I don't see reference to fishing on their website? DIY options in the area or am I overlooking it?
    Belize definitely has my vote. Look at my pictures in the 2017 fish pics thread. That is a beautiful resort, I haven't stayed there but the owner gave us a tour. There are a lot of fishing options in Hopkins. If you are bringing your own gear doing it yourself is the way to go. The local guides can be had for a lot cheaper if you hire them direct instead of one of the online companies. PM me if I you want more info. The food, the friendly people and the water in Belize is hard to beat. It has quickly become one of my favorite places.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

We did a trip to Placencia Belize and were a little under-whelmed. The resorts were nice enough, and we weren't in five-star accommodations or anything, but take a walk down the beach a bit and things got (literally) trashy. My wife was pregnant at the time so we were a little more limited in our options, but if I were to do it again there are a number of options that allow you to rent places basically on private or semi private islands. If I were to do it again, I'd do something like this, particularly if you're looking to fish.

Belize or Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    We did a trip to Placencia Belize and were a little under-whelmed. The resorts were nice enough, and we weren't in five-star accommodations or anything, but take a walk down the beach a bit and things got (literally) trashy. My wife was pregnant at the time so we were a little more limited in our options, but if I were to do it again there are a number of options that allow you to rent places basically on private or semi private islands. If I were to do it again, I'd do something like this, particularly if you're looking to fish.
    I always forget people dont like to go quite as "native" as i do. Belize is definitely a 3rd world country and If you are looking for the resort, raked beach experience it is not that. Most of Mexicos resort destinations were built specifically for that. Belize built resorts around small fishing villages, so there is still the look of small 3rd world squalor. My favorite place I have been is Punta Gorda on the souther tip. Absolutely no resorts, the accommodations were extremely rustic. But I like getting away from other people that look just like me.
    I guess that is a long way to say, it depends on what you are after...
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Yeah fair enough. Part of it was that it just wasn't what we were expecting, since the friend of mine who recommended the area to me apparently stayed at the biggest, most glasses-with-umbrellas resort in the area, unbeknownst to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Yeah fair enough. Part of it was that it just wasn't what we were expecting, since the friend of mine who recommended the area to me apparently stayed at the biggest, most glasses-with-umbrellas resort in the area, unbeknownst to me.
    I hope that didn't come out wrong. It seriously is not a resort type destination. I was SHOCKED the first time I went with just how 3rd world it is there. It is something you have to experience to truly comprehend. Once you get used to that it is an amazing country filled with beautiful and friendly people.

Thanks for all of the info, guys. I'll show the Mrs. and see how fishy she wants to get. Going to pull the trigger this week, will let everyone know what we get into.

I would vote Belize mostly because of how awesome the pictures of the fishing there is, and also how awesome the place is. For me it's one of those places on my bucket list to go to because it just looks like it's unbelievable, with some pretty nice fishing as well.

We decided to stay a bit north of where I originally envisioned. To my surprise, the more we looked at resorts, the more wife wanted to just do our own thing. So she got a VRBO for cheap in Chemuyil- pretty much halfway between Akumal and Tulum. Wife liked that location because of the other shit nearby- mainly the cenotes and ruins. I agreed on it because it looks like there's some decent DIY fishing an hour or so south, near Boca Paila, and a bar within bike riding distance.