Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big Red Cats

Big Red Cats

Incident at Big Red Cats from the looks of things. 4 guests injured, all recovered by the BRC crew.

http://www.rosslandnews.com/news/411357095.html
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Big Red Cats

Glad there were no fatalities, but four with significant injuries is worrisome for that operation

Hope all involved heal up and recover quickly

Did you catch the mama bear comment at the bottom?

^^^^Different than the press Big Red Cats was spinning.

.....Stable enough to be transported by ground from Rossland to Spokane yet in ICU?

I smell a lawyer.

From the limited amount I know it seems 7 people were at least partially buried, with 4 seriously injured, skiing a slope (Mackie) with a long history of incidents, on pretty much the first high hazard day of the season. Looking forward to finding out more.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklebox View Post
    .....Stable enough to be transported by ground from Rossland to Spokane yet in ICU?

I smell a lawyer.
    Or they couldn't fly....
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

7 caught is not good.

Too bad, because Kieran and Paula are good people.

My buddy was supposed to ski with BRC on Friday and they cancelled. He said Thursday night was damage control mode and everyone was tight lipped when he showed up. They offered a blue group cat for Saturday and he declined.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklebox View Post

I smell a lawyer.
    They were ground transported to Trail then flown to Spokane hospitals. And yeah, good luck with the lawyers... Have you heli or cat skied in Canada? Not much chance for legal action.

More information here: http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdo...skiing-canada/

Edit to add: I found this when trying to figure out who the Spokane victim is. His name is Jacob Rabe and he's an E.R. doctor. From the comment, it seems the story is wrong and that he was transported by ambulance to Spokane, not flown. I'm sure there was plenty of confusion when this happened.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...Rabe%20spokane
    Last edited by GoldMember; 01-23-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Utah skiers tell their story after surviving avalanche in Canadian backcountry.

They have video of the rescue...

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=42969464&nid...an-backcountry
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

I have skied with this outfit a couple of times. Vibes to all involved and so fortunate everyone survived. Paula and Kieran are top notch.

What's with their hair, are they Mormons?
    Name:  26098470.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  33.8 KB

A bit of a follow up from Paula at BRC, http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...&id=bb35e49185
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    What's with their hair, are they Mormons?
    Name:  26098470.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  33.8 KB
    Are they from Utah? Probably.

The articles says "before the second slide hit' but they never mention it more than that.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

FWIW. Local gossip says that the guide was against skiing that slope (Mackie), but was pressured by the owner. Also, that guests were instructed to keep within certain parameters, but that the last skiers didn't, and that they triggered the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    FWIW. Local gossip says that the guide was against skiing that slope (Mackie), but was pressured by the owner. Also, that guests were instructed to keep within certain parameters, but that the last skiers didn't, and that they triggered the slide.
    It's all because of Moroni.

This sounds like an absolute shit show. I am honestly laughing about this. Guide: This probably isn't a good idea Owner: We need to keep our clients happy even if that means they die Clients: We just want to ski pow. Obviously, this is some internet 7th hand gossip, but imagine the logical thinking(if this is true) on a day-to-day basis by the owner. I can't stop laughing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    This sounds like an absolute shit show. I am honestly laughing about this. Guide: This probably isn't a good idea Owner: We need to keep our clients happy even if that means they die Clients: We just want to ski pow. Obviously, this is some internet 7th hand gossip, but imagine the logical thinking(if this is true) on a day-to-day basis by the owner. I can't stop laughing about it.
    Without having a completed investigation or all the facts, I would think that not making these kinds of conjecture or rumor-passing comments would be good. I've skied with BRC a few different times and have found them to be every bit as professional and knowledgeable as any other operation I've been with. Kieran and Paula have been operating for a good period of time and are great people. They know the area, the terrain, and the consequence of hazards. I don't believe they would knowingly push limits, as suggested above. I think waiting to comment on cause until a completed report is made available might be wise. Rumor passing and conjecture may be interesting and fun but will only cause harm to their operation where none may be due. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 01-27-2017 at 04:11 PM.

One of the group was interviewed on CBC Radio Canada this morning, and mentioned that God had a hand in the survival of the buried. Utah+ cute haircuts+ divine intervention? Nice Mormon Boys.

dont disregard ground intelligence as gossip, K-skier seems solid ............ also, " great people" can make bad choices, happens every day...............
    Last edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot; 01-28-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

I'm sorry for cunting up this thread but they look like the guys who played at the pre inauguration concert, god bless them.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    .......... they look like the guys who played at the pre inauguration concert, god bless them.
    did you download their shit? be honest .......
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Without having a completed investigation or all the facts, I would think that not making these kinds of conjecture or rumor-passing comments would be good. I've skied with BRC a few different times and have found them to be every bit as professional and knowledgeable as any other operation I've been with. Kieran and Paula have been operating for a good period of time and are great people. They know the area, the terrain, and the consequence of hazards. I don't believe they would knowingly push limits, as suggested above. I think waiting to comment on cause until a completed report is made available might be wise. Rumor passing and conjecture may be interesting and fun but will only cause harm to their operation where none may be due. Just my two cents.
    We deal in rumours here. In this industry the only chance that a report of any consequence will be completed and circulated is if it's independently initiated by the guests, otherwise it'll just be damage control. In my informed and experienced opinion it's self evident that limits were pushed, and I'm as curious as anyone to know why.