Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i dont know the facts but if this was guided its spooky and borderline unprofessional
    and if the taxpayer funded org that did the accident report is neglecting to report facts like that, for whatever reason
    you are doing a disservice to the community that uses your service.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Jer's on the mend and stoked on all the love

https://instagram.com/p/BPgOc86leR4/

Maybe they were shooting something and under pressure to get a shot. Still no excuse, for bad decisions though.
    27° 18°

whole thing kinda sounds like a hot mess. Can of you avy experts explain to me the wisdom or lack thereof of the incident report guys standing around under a huge crown like that? I know they know way more about avies than I do, but it always seems spooky that they're standing under the hang fire like that. This season there have been some YUGE ones like the 8 footer in Tahoe. With nothing supporting the crown and the persistent weak layer, isn't there a good chance another chunk could let loose, or is it simply that the slope angle is so much lower that it's not an issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i dont know the facts but if this was guided its spooky and borderline unprofessional
    and if the taxpayer funded org that did the accident report is neglecting to report facts like that, for whatever reason
    you are doing a disservice to the community that uses your service.
    Maybe they'd blown all the incident report budget on the high production value.

It had to have been guided if they were in a snowcat on USFS land, no?

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    whole thing kinda sounds like a hot mess. Can of you avy experts explain to me the wisdom or lack thereof of the incident report guys standing around under a huge crown like that? I know they know way more about avies than I do, but it always seems spooky that they're standing under the hang fire like that. This season there have been some YUGE ones like the 8 footer in Tahoe. With nothing supporting the crown and the persistent weak layer, isn't there a good chance another chunk could let loose, or is it simply that the slope angle is so much lower that it's not an issue?
    Not really. Once the energy is out of a slab the "hang-fire" usually stays put.

Standing under a crown doesn't bother me much unless somebody decides to go jump on whats left while I am under it. And even then, not much.

Over the years I have watched a lot of explosives used to clean up Hang-fire with very little to show for the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post
    Not really. Once the energy is out of a slab the "hang-fire" usually stays put.

Standing under a crown doesn't bother me much unless somebody decides to go jump on whats left while I am under it. And even then, not much.

Over the years I have watched a lot of explosives used to clean up Hang-fire with very little to show for the effort.
    If you think it is worth the risk ,cool...a chunk of snow, the size of a skier ,off a cornice ,weighs hundreds of lbs....a chunk the size of a car weighs much more than a vehicle .

Smart experts that mentor me a little, do not take any unnecessary risks. It is so easy to skin around a tiny terrain trap or cornice...why risk it, they tell me.

To each his own>I like to hike solo ...and that gets some serious criticism> though special forces guys laugh at that rule...I not one them, but I glad to hang in that camp. There is no better feeling than finding some off route place and climbing to the top, where no people usually would get to...and poppin a PBR, w a sandwich ,from your well prepared pack.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz