Video from inside hotel:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...valanche-video

The Abruzzo have gotten an insane amount of snow over the last few days, several thousand people were without power and water and road access to a couple of towns was cut off before the quake even happened. Several meters of new snow + earth quakes = super shitty combination. Hotel was not anywhere near a typical slide path.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

The Future-Ex-Mrs Gepeto the Third has a small villa in town:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Italy1.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	472.8 KB 
ID:	197752
    Name:  Italy2.png
Views: 1391
Size:  299.1 KB

Friends work at the Hotel and are part of SAR type entities. Pretty anxious over here, awaiting more details.

Not making light of the situation but, my exit strategy had recently been re-aligned and included relocating to the region and reinforced by the placement of mr bonehead with mrs dumb puss in the big white facade.

Previous plan... I was hoping to be bagging groceries for Meadow Skipper.
    Last edited by Gepeto; 01-19-2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: more sobering than phuny

Topos, Google Earth and more from the slide and major slide path the hotel sat under..
    http://mtnweekly.com/mountain-lifest...che-slide-path

Apparently that is just a small portion of the hotel that was left standing. Everything else was flattened. Horrible.

Thats some scary shit. Especially given the many meters of snow we just got plus the several meters we're about to get and our recent spate of earthquakes in the 5.* range
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

More pics & video courtesy of BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38691103

This quote was terrible: "Mr Marcella said he immediately contacted the authorities, but they did not initially believe him. He said he kept calling for two hours before being told help was on the way."

Hopefully Italy doesn't try and prosecute any scientists for not predicting the earthquake this time....

the video pulling the survivors out is awesome! thank you made my day

a terrible tragedy but agree a heart warming video. Hopefully there will be more survivors.
    off your knees Louie

Very good news, and unexpected. Hopefully they find more alive. Still 20 or more missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Not making light of the situation but, my exit strategy had recently been re-aligned and included relocating to the region and reinforced by the placement of mr bonehead with mrs dumb puss in the big white facade.

Previous plan... I was hoping to be bagging groceries for Meadow Skipper.
    I'm sorry, What!?

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    Topos, Google Earth and more from the slide and major slide path the hotel sat under..
    http://mtnweekly.com/mountain-lifest...che-slide-path
    There are a lot of villages and towns in the Alps that are located under terrain like that.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    I'm sorry, What!?
    Not sure "what" isn't clear?

This was a sobering event and making light of any part of this was insensitive on my part. My perspective on the frailty of life is jilted. I'd be glad to expound on any confusion, just pm me.

Klar makes an excellent point about how building below known dangerous terrain is common place and is a fact of existing at the foot of such majestic landscape.

Turns out, no one known to the family was connected to this tragedy, other than the pall over the community in this beautiful area.