Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Non Ski trip to Taos, Santa Fe area

My better half and I have a great understanding.

I get to go skiing and do boys trips from time to time and she gets to go on trips with her friends that has nothing to do with getting up early or skiing or listening to me to telling her to pick up the pace. This year she and her friend have decided they want to drive down to Santa Fe / Taos / ??? area and check it out over spring break. I know jack shit about NM other than flying in/out of ABQ for business and that the best blue meth in the world is made there but figure there is a few here that can help (looking at you meadow skipper).

Anyone have any reqs for bed and breakfast, nice boutique hotel, and places to stay? Things to check out and see?

I don't know best places to stay but... places to go in Santa fe:

Kakawa chocolatier
    10,000 waves Japanese spa and excellent restaurant for dinner Izanami
    Chocolate Maven for breakfast
    Geronimo for dinner if they want to do bank
    Sazon for dinner
    Meow wolf on a weekday that school is in session
    Canyon Road art galleries
    La posada bar
    Encourage minimal shopping or be willing to go broke

Where to stay depends on how much money they want to spend.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Just to note they just finished building a new lodge called The Blake at the resort that opens Feb 1. I imagine it is probably more expensive than I'd care to spend.

1) Go to any restaurant
    2) eat green chili
    3) profit

Also the hiking is nice
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Just to note they just finished building a new lodge called The Blake at the resort that opens Feb 1. I imagine it is probably more expensive than I'd care to spend.
    Me too.

Town of Taos is much better in warm weather. Kinda dead in winter.

Ojo Caliente might be worth a visit. Air B'n'Bs in the Taos area seem to be relatively affordable and you could end up in some pretty unique structures (earthships, etc.) What are they into? Lots of great walking/hiking pretty places to look at, but not that much for nightlife/social culture, at least in Taos. Santa Fe has more of that, plus really cool old adobe & churches in both spots. 2nd the green chile. Must have.

Stay the fuck out of the Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in Santa Fe unless you want to slit your wrists. Mainly the parking lot at Whole Foods.

Where the fuck is the post about the lady thinking she's a dolphin at 10,000 Waves?

Orlando's is a must, and the margys at the Taos inn are bomb
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Where the fuck is the post about the lady thinking she's a dolphin at 10,000 Waves?
    Maybe in here? http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ern+New+Mexico
    Or here http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ern+New+Mexico
    Worth a read just for grins

Anyway, Taos recommendations
    Hotel La Fonda is a great place. Ask to see the DH Lawrence paintings
    Breakfast - blueberry blue corn pancakes at Taos Inn, or chile cheese diced potatoes at Michaels.
    Galleries, museums and shopping kept my non-skiing wife busy for three days, without a car. But she is a western history nut.

The Pueblo is closed to outsiders late Jan to mid-late Feb.

We used to really dig the chile at Tomastita's down by the train station. Also, Bandelier National Monument is a cool historical site with some fun day hiking.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Great stuff so far all. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    I don't know best places to stay but... places to go in Santa fe:

Kakawa chocolatier
    10,000 waves Japanese spa and excellent restaurant for dinner Izanami
    Chocolate Maven for breakfast
    Geronimo for dinner if they want to do bank
    Sazon for dinner
    Meow wolf on a weekday that school is in session
    Canyon Road art galleries
    La posada bar
    Encourage minimal shopping or be willing to go broke

Where to stay depends on how much money they want to spend.
    ^Solid SF advice. Especially 10k Waves and Izanami. Also add chocolate/candy at Todos Santos, and shopping at Santa Maria Provisions next door. Silver and turquoise from the Indians at the Governor's Palace, just because it's pretty cool.

The key to places to stay in SF is to get as close to the Plaza as you can afford. Consider La Posada, The Drury, La Fonda, Hotel Santa Fe, Hotel St. Francis, and maybe El Dorado. Get a good price and any of those are well located.

Have a meal at Cafe Pasqual - reservations recommended. La Boca or Taberna are good - basically the same menus. If you want to go local, The Tune Up Cafe rocks - tourists need to stay quiet about that. Breakfast at Tia Sophia's - local favorite, thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Stay the fuck out of the Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in Santa Fe unless you want to slit your wrists. Mainly the parking lot at Whole Foods.
    How do you know this but we've never met, fucker? Go on a weekday morning. Trader Joe's parking lot is actually worse than WF.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...37#post2468637

Give me some interests and I can get all specific. Art? Museums? Shoes? Hikes? Mountain Biking?

Order something with red chili at The Shed.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Order something with red chili at The Shed.
    The Shed is a tourist trap, but not a too bad of one. However, La Choza is a sister restaurant but much cooler.

Sopapillas with honey. After the green chile.
    Other NM favorites--NM style enchiladas served christmas tree (red and green salsa).

Just here to say that SF smells good. Seriously. Like burning beach wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    The Shed is a tourist trap, but not a too bad of one. However, La Choza is a sister restaurant but much cooler.
    La Choza for sure.

Tomasitas skip. It's for touristas. It's good but not great.

Everything meadow skipper suggested is right on.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Go to the Anaconda Bar at El Monte Segrado in Taos.... Ill defer to Meadow Skipper on SF
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post

I get to go skiing and do boys trips from time to time and she gets to go on trips with her friends that has nothing to do with getting up early or skiing or listening to me to telling her to pick up the pace. This year she and her friend have decided they want to drive down to Santa Fe / Taos / ??? area and check it out over spring break. I know jack shit about NM other than flying in/out of ABQ for business and that the best blue meth in the world is made there but figure there is a few here that can help (looking at you meadow skipper).

Anyone have any reqs for bed and breakfast, nice boutique hotel, and places to stay? Things to check out and see?
    I think we need to see naked pics of your better half's friends before appropriate recommendations can be made
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Sopapillas with honey. After the green chile.
    Other NM favorites--NM style enchiladas served christmas tree (red and green salsa).
    Christmas you fucking jong.

Also, a side trip to Petaca on the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    How do you know this but we've never met, fucker? Go on a weekday morning. Trader Joe's parking lot is actually worse than WF.
    Yeah, but I can attribute the TJ's problem to all the other businesses but the WF is definitely those fucking imbeciles. When I was staying at the ex-in-laws place out in Las Campanas (their house is not one of the big or even normal sized ones) I couldn't get away much so that's probably why. They love me so maybe I'll see if I can visit since they're there full time.

Jambo Cafe if it's still up to snuff and you can do a quick tour of the Walmart down the street for some local color.

Non Ski trip to Taos, Santa Fe area

Visited Santa Fe fall of 2015.

I stayed at Eldorado Hotel and Spa which was very nice and comfy.
    Located at the bottom stretch of downtown, so you can walk to The Plaza (historic downtown area).

I was there to hike with a friend, so we mainly drove around for day hiking.

Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument was my favorite.

We also went upto Sandia Peak in Albuquerque.

Bandelier National Monument.

Red Rocks at Ghost Ranch.

Food was amazing, too.

Pantry Restaurant

Tune-up Cafe

The Shed

She probably will enjoy silver jewelry shopping.

Check the schedule at the mothership Taos Mesa Brewery. Even if nothing is playing/doing, well worth the stop by the bridge.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I love santa gay, super cool place, haven't been in two years, and I don't think I'll be much help planning a romantic weekend and shit since I always dirt bag it when I go and mooch off of people for places to stay and eat dirt cheap although there are a couple cheap hotels I've stayed in over the years, the only massages and touchy feely crap I get is when I call an add from craigs list, the food is all slop and over priced and not any good, there is a food truck on the far south end of town that has good food as well as some vegitarian werido place on the south end of town that is pretty good, whole foods is a nice place to pick up milfs and scrawny new age bitches with no tits

the mtn biking is pretty darn good, some massive elevation gain if you go from town to the top of the ski area, some mellow back country skiing is available on a good snow year

the wanna be artists and artists that are getting paid as well as all the freak show art groupies all around town make you want to smack people in the face, fucking art is so over rated, fucking d-bags from new york and la make you wanna puke, they act all sofisticated and smart but their just dip shits with money and no hobbies

to this day I kind of regret not taking the job I could of had at the santa fe opera, it would have been fun, the theatre is absolutely bad ass if your there in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post

What does she like to do? Taos has art galleries and a little bit of music, but mostly an outdoor adventure place imo. Spring break? If that's April it will be pretty nice weather wise to be out an about.

Taos Inn is a classic place to stay, but spendy. I don't think she'd want to stay in the ski valley.

If you were going....
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...OS-Low-Tide-TR