Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    I don't know of anyone rolling stuff out right now who is varying sidecut radius. AFAIK, both the Quixote and the Marksman have the same radius on each side of the ski. The difference is in effective edge. Anyone know the scoop on the Spur?
    There's a first hand review of the new Spur in the Blizzard thread.

Anybody wandering around OR see if BD had their Gen2 Jetforce packs ready to look at yet? I think I saw Dawson mention they'll be out next season. Debating whether I want to wait or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Anybody wandering around OR see if BD had their Gen2 Jetforce packs ready to look at yet? I think I saw Dawson mention they'll be out next season. Debating whether I want to wait or not.
    Nope, they had the current model on display..
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Hmm... that's a bummer. Oh well.

Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

@sfotex - was Atomic showing the Hawx Ultra XTD touring boot?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Sort of. Longer taper on outside edges bring the tip and tail wide points towards the waist more in effect making the radius smaller. In a pow ski in pow I don't think you notice the smaller outside radius as much as the longer taper that helps initiate the turn easier or pivot easier in 3D snow. I guess you'd notice the tighter outside radius if you were on a groomer but I don't think that's what their design purpose is
    It makes the sidecut length shorter for the inside leg ski - but leaves the sidecut radius the same. At least on the Quixote. From the Praxis site...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	q2.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	197267

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    It makes the sidecut length shorter for the inside leg ski - but leaves the sidecut radius the same. At least on the Quixote. From the Praxis site...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	q2.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	197267
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding it but the shorter sidecut side should in effect make the radius smaller. As an example compare the rx to gpo. Virtually the same tip/tail/waist measurement but because of the yuge tip taper on the gpo it makes the radius shorter. Sort of like the Quixote would have rx sidecut inner edge and gpo outer edge sidecut. Sort of but not exact difference. I'd like to see the full number charts for the Quixote like all the other skis. That might clarify. Side note/I'm still curious how much camber on the Q as well

Asymmetrical wide points could mean the radius stays the same.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding it but the shorter sidecut side should in effect make the radius smaller. As an example compare the rx to gpo. Virtually the same tip/tail/waist measurement but because of the yuge tip taper on the gpo it makes the radius shorter. Sort of like the Quixote would have rx sidecut inner edge and gpo outer edge sidecut. Sort of but not exact difference. I'd like to see the full number charts for the Quixote like all the other skis. That might clarify. Side note/I'm still curious how much camber on the Q as well
    Your very close, but spindrift's got it right. Imagine the longer effective edge (inside) side's widest point being the same on both sides, then taper one side earlier, you're not changing the arc of the edge because your not moving the widest point of the arc in, your just cutting the top of it off. The difference in the sidecut radius being different in the gpo vs the rx (which your mostly right about again) isn't because of where the taper starts per say but where the widest point of the arc is measured from, you could have 2 feet of taper on the rx past the widest point on the tip and it wouldn't change the shape of the arc (sidecut radius).
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

K think we're on the same page. I realized one side has longer taper but I assumed , correctly or incorrectly, that the widespot would change. It may not. May need full schematic. It will be a sleepless night. I'll furiously bang out tweets at 3 am in caps until this is definitive. Regardless I bet they're awesome and I NEED a pair

Think of it this way ... Draw a circle. Draw a chord out near one side. Draw a parallel chord way closer to the center. The radius of the arc cut by each chord is the same - but one is way longer (both the arc length and the chord).

Obviously we are comparing a circular radius to a variable radius ski sidecut - but the idea is the same.

Unless I am mistaken, this applies to both the Quixote and the Marksman. I'd guess to the Spur as well - but maybe someone who knows about that ski can comment.

Looks like this may be an interesting space.

Gear rumors 17/18

You could say the widespot on the outside edge is closer to the middle of the ski than the inside edge, still keeping the radius the same on both edges. Honestly, maybe it's just me buying into the hype but I think they sound dope, the effective inside edge of Big mtn more traditional charger and the catch free outside edge of a pow stick all while mainting a soft snow camber profile!?! Sign me up!!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    ^^^
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Quote Originally Posted by tharmor View Post
    @sfotex - was Atomic showing the Hawx Ultra XTD touring boot?
    I didn't see them at the show, but it looks like they were there for the demo day?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

My comment about different sidecut radii was related to a post floating that idea (which is viable, though unnecessary, on a hard snow ski).

The radius can be whatever the designer decides to make it for any given length of effective edge at any given part of the ski.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

If there is one thing I don't want to have to do, it's double check which ski goes on which foot. I don't even bother lining up graphics.
    Where/when can we find out more about these Nordicas?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    ^^^
    I guess I needed to see this twice for the light bulb to flicker. Hellllo Mc fly

If there is one thing I don't want to have to do, it's double check which ski goes on which foot. I don't even bother lining up graphics.
    that's what I keep saying about asymmetrical boots

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    that's what I keep saying about asymmetrical boots
    Haha. FTW!

The Nordica boot w/ walk mode mentioned earlier in this thread? It's basically the Speedmachine boot they brought back for 2016-17 but with a walk mode. Goes up to 23 degrees backwards, 23 degrees forward in walk mode, so a claimed 46 degree ROM. Other highlights?

- 100 mm last.
    - 3 different flexes. 130, 120, 110.
    - 130 + 120 have built in tech inserts, 110 doesn't but can apparently get some if you get the replacement soles w/ tech inserts a la old Tecnica Cochise.
    - 130 flex boot gets a Grilamid cuff rather than usual PU. It's lighter and apparently less affected by temperature.
    - Liners are similar to the Speedmachine cork liner, but lighter and vented. With lace loops, in case you're that guy. Decently heat moldable.
    -130 and 120 flex boots come with Gripwalk soles. No info on whether the alpine sole on the 110 will be available aftermarket for those of you who'd rather not have a rockered sole with a lot more rubber on it that still releases as well as a DIN sole.
    - Oh yeah, weight. 1800 grams/boot for a 26.5 130 flex. 1900 grams/boot for the 120 (Grilamid cuff seems to be the difference here?)
    - The 130 flex boot also gets rubber between the toe and heel pieces for "more grip" or whatever.
    - The plastics will be easy to punch and are designed to work particularly well with Nordica's infrared heat system and vacuum punch machine that sucks the plastic out from the outside.

Basically, go try on a Speedmachine 120 or 130. If you like it there's a good chance you'll like the Nordica Strider.

Quote Originally Posted by m5dad0 View Post

-130 and 120 flex boots come with Gripwalk soles. No info on whether the alpine sole on the 110 will be available aftermarket for those of you who'd rather not HAVE TO SPEND 1000$ ON NEW BINDINGS FOR THE WHOLE QUIVER..

FIFY

No, the new Enforcer.
    Is 140-110-130 with a little taper/rocker/camber just not sexy enough anymore?
    186 or 187. Mount -8 or 9. Kick tail. Minimal to no tail rocker. Medium to stiff through the whole ski. Not too heavy, not too light. Maybe some metal.
    Why does this not exist?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Gear rumors 17/18

No, the new Enforcer.
    186 or 187. Mount -8 or 9. Kick tail. Minimal to no tail rocker. Medium to stiff through the whole ski. Not too heavy, not too light. Maybe some metal.
    Why does this not exist?
    Cochise, supernatural 108-pretty close eh?
    Last edited by rob stokes; 01-15-2017 at 05:11 PM.

No, the new Enforcer.
    Why does this not exist?
    Are you lost over one or two milameters.
    188 Armada Invictus 108 not close enough?
    185 Blizzard Cochise.
    Both of those come right off the same assembly line as the Enforcers.

Also avalible:
    190 Salomon Q-Lab (find one)
    189/184 ON3P Wrenegade 108
    186 Line Supernatural 108

Even the QST 106 would likely make you happy.

A 112 Enforcer sounds fun though. It's currently called the Patron and pretty awesome.

ON3P Wrenegade 108

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Are you lost over one or two milameters.
    188 Armada Invictus 108 not close enough?
    185 Blizzard Cochise.
    Both of those come right off the same assembly line as the Enforcers.

Also avalible:
    190 Salomon Q-Lab (find one)
    189/184 ON3P Wrenegade 108
    186 Line Supernatural 108

Even the QST 106 would likely make you happy.

A 112 Enforcer sounds fun though. It's currently called the Patron and pretty awesome.

ON3P Wrenegade 108
    This is TGR where everyones dream ski is 1 mm off of what is currently available. Shit. I've stopped giving a fuck about centimeters let alon mm's.
    Training for Alpental