Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Screw Turns for Whistler and the PNW?

Wondering where the s/l will be...
    http://maps3.pivotalweather.com/maps...86/pwat.na.png

Higher than flowing alpy, well at least come Tues.

Figures it'd happen the week I take off to ski with visiting family

Windy hill is still showing favorable snow forecast, maybe visit there piper?

I never learned how to interpret these maps. Is good for Alpy?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Primasativa View Post
    FINGERS CROSSED BELOW 5K!

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I never learned how to interpret these maps. Is good for Alpy?
    Confusing to me as well. Title and map seems to indicate precipitation, while the colour bar at right says temp? System temp off Hawaii is colder than the system hitting the PNW? And I haven't loaded the vape yet - maybe that's the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Wanna be my tour guide a week from Monday? Just promise you won't make my dad work too hard, he's been at it for something like 60 seasons on skis

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Confusing to me as well. Title and map seems to indicate precipitation, while the colour bar at right says temp? System temp off Hawaii is colder than the system hitting the PNW? And I haven't loaded the vape yet - maybe that's the problem...
    As it says on top of the map, "precipitation anomaly in mm". the important word being ANOMALY.
    i.e. how much more or less precipitation, in mm, is expected compared to what there is on average during the dates indicated on the map. The average typically refers to a climatological reference period, such as 1981-2010 or similar.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

My prediction, it will be warm top to bottom(above freezing) with a possibility of light snow at the summit and light rain/mist in the base area with a wintry mix between. We may get shadowed out of precip. and just be dealing with warm temps and high winds. Either way it's going to put and end to cold dry snow after the weekend and lock up out existing snowpack.

Obviously we're due for a warm, wet system. Let's just hope it's not too warm.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Obviously we're due for a warm, wet system. Let's just hope it's not too warm.
    Based on my anecdotal observations over the years, we're overdue. Seems we usually have a pineapple express during the period from before Christmas to just after New Year.

Looks like a pineapple express to me, get your kayaks out it's time for whitewater fun

we have had a very cold winter so far. seems dry too so I really hope we get lots of snow from this.

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    Looks like a pineapple express to me, get your kayaks out it's time for whitewater fun
    Models are trending cooler now, with temps forecast to peak at 1 degree C at 1000m on Wednesday night in Rossland. Stoked on a change from cold and clear.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Models are trending cooler now, with temps forecast to peak at 1 degree C at 1000m on Wednesday night in Rossland. Stoked on a change from cold and clear.
    Do you have any fancy pictures to show this that you could share?

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    As it says on top of the map, "precipitation anomaly in mm". the important word being ANOMALY.
    i.e. how much more or less precipitation, in mm, is expected compared to what there is on average during the dates indicated on the map. The average typically refers to a climatological reference period, such as 1981-2010 or similar.
    Ah, thanks. It seems it is more an issue with my aging eyeballs than cognitive ability. Opened up the map image, zoomed in proper, and now the colour legend units make sense. That with the subliminal messages about freezing elevations and I was befuddled.

It has arrived here. Good luck with your fl,s everyone!

heavy rain in the valley for the past 24 hours, many many mm's...pretty high freezing levels too, definitely a full reset, looks like me may see continued snow with cooling. fingers and toes and whatever the hell crossed

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    Do I get a prize?

It's looking like the East winds thru the passes should keep all the precip locked up in the snow pack and hopefully keep the drainages closed.

I-90 Snoqualmie Pass remains closed in both directions from mp 34 near North Bend to mp 106 near Ellensburg. Crews have assessed conditions and determined that the pass will not open today or tonight. Conditions are such that it is not safe in some areas for crews to do the work necessary to open the roadway. Crews are continuing to monitor conditions. Alternate routes are US-2 Stevens Pass and US-12 White Pass.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    It's looking like the East winds thru the passes should keep all the precip locked up in the snow pack and hopefully keep the drainages closed.
    Surprisingly cool over here, 21F. I keep waiting for the big warm up. 1.5" of snow and sleet here last night and on and off snow flurries today so far. No real freezing rain yet, good thing because the ground is frozen solid. So far it looks like all frozen precip at Mission, probably snow, sleet and graupel.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Surprisingly cool over here, 21F. I keep waiting for the big warm up. 1.5" of snow and sleet here last night and on and off snow flurries today so far. No real freezing rain yet, good thing because the ground is frozen solid. So far it looks like all frozen precip at Mission, probably snow, sleet and graupel.
    About 5" of sleet and 3" of new snow at my house. Kinda crazy, sleet feels like walking/driving in sand. No rain at all.

About 5" of sleet and 3" of new snow at my house. Kinda crazy, sleet feels like walking/driving in sand. No rain at all.
    Sleet sucks. I'd rather shovel a foot of snow than 1.5" of sleet. It's like shoveling sand. The traction isn't too bad with the sleet though.