Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Excellent vid of the riding here in Flagstaff.

This kid is fast.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/ten000-...ideo-2017.html
    dirtbag, not a dentist

"Colorado" ... right - haha. I made him custom upper shock mounting hardware so he could shoot that day in FLG. He even helped file spacers.

Best shooting I've seen of those trails. He is ripping!

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post

This kid is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post
    "colorado" ... right. I made hime custom upper shock mounting hardware so he could shoot that day in FLG. He even helped file spacers.

He is ripping!
    Was that on purpose to not disclose the location? If so....even cooler! All of those trails are unrecognized by the FS but we have an agreement with FS that they won't be destroyed until we can build legal trails.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

^^^He was waiting at the shop when I opened, and said he was here to shoot in "Colorado" <wink>. I laughed and said "thank you".

Real nice kid - enjoyed chatting with him and was waiting to see the footage. It did not disappoint!

did they have someone show them around or were they already familiar with the trails?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Pretty sure some of the semi-local (NAU student) DH pros showed them around a bit.

Flapping those wings at the end like an eagle...

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post

Flapping those wings at the end like an eagle...
    HAHA! Nice one.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post

This kid is fast.

Fast is right.

I like that he does it on a bike from the Bronx I've been to their hq office, it's in a loft in a sausage packing plant. Weird vibe for sure but dedication to their craft.

I'm looking at a new shock for my old 6" bike. Currently between a CC DB IL (cheaper & lighter) vs s Fox Float X2 (more expensive & heavier).
    Any thoughts from people running these on their big trail bikes?
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I'm looking at a new shock for my old 6" bike. Currently between a CC DB IL (cheaper & lighter) vs s Fox Float X2 (more expensive & heavier).
    Get the fox. It's by far the best air shock I've ever ridden. And damn near the best shock I've ever ridden period.

I'm looking at a new frame right now and the only thing I'm hesitating over is the fact that I won't be able to put one on it.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

X2 on the X2. They're really, really good.

I've also disliked every DB Inline I've ever ridden.

What do you guys think about a Knolly Delerium w/X2 for a light duty DH/AM bike?

I really liked the inline I had on my Norco. I had zero complaints with it. I've ridden a few other bikes with that shock and if I hadn't looked, I wouldn't have believed they were the same dampers. They seem inconsistent between builds. Like I said though, no complaints with mine. Definitely never had any failures. Actually I've got it for sale if you want it.

But the fox damping adjustments behave like the CC stuff wishes it did. Super smooth blowoff transitions and it just feels like the damper works much better in conjunction with the air spring. Most of the CC stuff I ridden feels like an air spring and then damping on top if that makes sense.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Anyone riding the e13 TRS tires? I've always been a Minion guy but these seem like a promising alternative for my 29er hardtail

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Anyone riding the e13 TRS tires? I've always been a Minion guy but these seem like a promising alternative for my 29er hardtail
    I don't own any because I'm on unrideable 26" wheels but a few friends do. They're mostly a ripoff of the michelin wildrock'r 2s so they're the shit as far as cornering traction. Squeezing them and based on a few punctures, they're not bomb proof. But you'll also be a little lighter on them with 29s (attack angle and all).

If they made 26s I'd buy them without question.

Ran a coil shock on my trail bike last year. Bike pedals well so coil didn't hurt climbing, actually helped at slow speeds on off camber roots or slippery sections or peddling they rough. Transformed it on the downs. Picked up a bit of weight but I keep an air shock for a spare. Thought I might use the air for longer rides but I'm finding it hard to take off the coil. Shock is a cc db with a speed alloy racing spring. Think I'd like to try the handle bar mount dampening adjust for it for the occasional stand up and push the pedals sections. I'm on the Oprah diet so I hope I don't have to by a lighter and heavier weight springs but so far so good

https://superalloyracing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    What do you guys think about a Knolly Delerium w/X2 for a light duty DH/AM bike?
    That's the combo my wife is on. Plus Float 36 FIT4 up front. She loves it. The shock was a bit hard to dial in at first because she's so small. We splurged for a ShockWiz though and she's getting it close to final settings. FIT4 is waaay better for her size.

I'm close to committing to the X2, but at 100gm lighter and $100 bucks cheaper the CC was hard to not consider. That said, I didn't like the one CCDBA I owned briefly and neither of us are happy with our ever squeaky CCDBCoils on our DH bikes. So really, this was one last chance to see if anyone had a compelling argument for the Inline (or IL, to make you think it's different from the failed predecessor).

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Running one up front. Similar to a minion for sure, but seems "softer" to me. As in softer rubber---certainly more grippy. I put them on for fall riding here...we ended up having a dry fall so coulda gotten away with something much less aggressive. They feel slow to me---probably no different than the minion in that regard, however.

So far I'd recommend despite them feeling slow...any aggro tire seems this way for me.

Let's talk about chains.

For all my time working on bikes, I've never heard one way or another why any chain is better/worse than another. It seems universal that Shimano/SRAM/KMC don't put anything on their websites or products that give any objective measures differentiating their different chains. I usually spend $20-25 bucks on a 10sp chain.

So, anyone out there have an opinion on chains? Or any useful information?

my system: Start with

SRAM/KMC
    Then look at weight and price.

Aaannnd that's about it.

I rode my trail bike reluctantly for the first time since november. God dammit...I still like bikes. Don't want this winter to end.

So, you don't like Shimano chains? I get a lot of Shimano chains and put quicklinks on them. Not a pin kind of guy.

So, you don't like Shimano chains? I get a lot of Shimano chains and put quicklinks on them. Not a pin kind of guy.
    I still hold grudges from so many crashes eons ago from those shitty shitty pin chains.

This is actually the kind of expensive shit I would buy:
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/schwalbe-...view-2016.html
    Given that all our bikes are tubeless and between us both we're getting maybe 2 flats a year, I'd gladly spend the bucks to free up some space and weight in my pack.

Apparently they delayed the release, because apparently they're hard to make, so apparently still waiting.
    Hmm seems cool and I might splurge if it was just for me. Thing is though, I just end up giving my tubes away either to friends or random people on the trail/at a race. That's kinda nice about the cheap ones. I frequently carry two even. Yeah they weigh and take up space in the pack but I've become resigned to carry a good sized pack always. I just like only ever having to grab one thing and it's always ready ready for whatever.

In other news.... New bike on order! Now the waiting game. And the dread of the how little I'll get for the current bike when the new one comes. Uggh.

Also, new bike comes with the E13 TRS tires so I guess I'll be giving them a shot. Look pretty good. been a loyal Minion and High Roller guy myself. Also comes with the TRS Race Carbon 31mm (internal) wheels. 6* engagement, 1700 grams, good reviews, seem to hold up. Pretty stoked on that!

Got a couple desert trips already and heading out again tomorrow. Foothill trails around here are already getting good too. Supposed to get a foot of snow tomorrow but I just want to ride my bike!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

That's the combo my wife is on. Plus Float 36 FIT4 up front. She loves it. The shock was a bit hard to dial in at first because she's so small. We splurged for a ShockWiz though and she's getting it close to final settings. FIT4 is waaay better for her size.
    care to elaborate on the x2 comments? I have one on the way and won't break 130# all geared up.

Also, anyone have thoughts on brakes? I currently have Deore M615, they are fine brakes that I bleed once a year however they have been starting to crap out on long descents. I can either buy a bleed kit and fancy pads or justify buying new brakes. I was thinking of picking up a set of M7000 and changing pads to call it good, but my buddy who just spent a few months interning at specialized is trying to convince me Guides are the way to go. So, worth shelling out for RS or RSC? or even Ultimate? Has the wandering contact point with M8000 been fixed yet? Should I even bother to consider Hope or Magura etc? What will work the best while requiring the least amount of care? Why won't it stay cold so I can keep skiing?

Do you use SRAM quick links?

I'm indifferent to brand of chain but usually buy whichever SRAM chain is cheapest, as they're easy to find on sale and come with a quick link.