Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I am with you on stubby wrenches, no patience for working with tools that I can't hold onto.

I need a few more tools than what that mini-9 has, but that is one that I have been looking at.

Another option I've been looking at is: http://fixitsticks.com/

Only issue I have is pulling something out that has loose bits that I could see myself eventually losing. That, and would need to carry a separate chain tool.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    My take on it is that you can just grab your bike and go. Riding packless has caught on in a big way, and if you have your tube, pump/CO2, and tool all on the bike already, all you have to do is grab your shoes helmet and water bottle and you're good to go for an hour or so.
    What about your other N+1 bikes, are people going to buy the stashed tool for each one? And what happens 6 months from now when a new hub standard appears and that tool doesn't fit it? Sounds like a great way to separate riders from more $$.

I'll stick to something simple. I keep my tools in a travel wallet and can move from pack to frame bag if need be, and could put it in a fanny pack if I ever become cool enough to wear one of those. I tend to keep my setup the same as much as possible because I have been known to forget important bits, otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Does anyone think the overly elaborate, unnecessarily "stashed" multi tool trend is fixing a problem that doesn't exist?
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/industr...view-2016.html

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/multitool-r...olution-italy/
    Fitting a multi tool in my pack or pocket is one thing that's never been a problem. But then again, maybe spouses of cyclists need something expensive that they would never buy themselves as gift options.
    No urge or desire for them on my mtbs, but I kinda' dig the idea of them on my commuter.

Do that crank/bb tool, and the Specialized headset topcap chaintool thingy, throw a spare tube/patch or two/mini-pump/c02 around one of the h2o bottle mounts, and I'd not have to worry about not having basic stuff if needed.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    What about your other N+1 bikes, are people going to buy the stashed tool for each one? And what happens 6 months from now when a new hub standard appears and that tool doesn't fit it? Sounds like a great way to separate riders from more $$.

I'll stick to something simple. I keep my tools in a travel wallet and can move from pack to frame bag if need be, and could put it in a fanny pack if I ever become cool enough to wear one of those. I tend to keep my setup the same as much as possible because I have been known to forget important bits, otherwise.
    I'm with you for sure. There are bike specific and cheap items I'll keep on the bike almost all the time (a set of tire levers and a tube), but a solid actual tool is easy for me to remember to carry no matter what. I'd rather have a solid workable multitool that is easy to use instead of something minuscule or one that's hidden away somewhere getting covered in mud and water on my frame.

I do have a separate set of cheap stuff that stays on my commuter all the time. Its all about lowering the barrier so all I need to do is get on the bike and go, easily beat travel time of driving 5 miles in the city.

Its easy to see the lack of winter here in NE has made me a bit stir crazy, too much energy to focus on bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

Ed Zachery!

This is my setup that goes bike-to-bike when packless and only using a bottle. Rides in the 2hour or less range, or when it's cold enough that I don't need more than a large bottle of h2o.

Quick link, ti tire lever, skinny 26" tube, big c02, a couple glue-less patches. The Speci pump isn't great as a hand pump, but doubles as the c02 head, which is why I picked it. It actually works quite well, just know that you'll be pumping a but to fill a big tire to a useful state. The hanger is a SC 142 rear that fits my Nomad, and the washers make it so it will also work with my 148mm spaced SC 5010. If I'm on my hardtail or fatty and bust a hanger with this setup, I'm walking. All fits nice and sano under the seat with an Awesome Strap. Doesn't rattle, doesn't get in the way of the dropper, and is super easy to move bike-to-bike. The Fatty has a spare fat tube and two big c02 carts that live strapped to the down-tube, under the h20 cage. That way they are always there, no worries about not having the right shit to fix a fatflat.

Mini-tool goes in a pocket. Chain tool on it. I can abide the stubby bits, but I can't go without a chain tool. Have mangled enough over the years to always want one along. A larger/more comprehensive version (a couple spare bolts, brake pads, full size tube, etc) of all this with more spare bits and bobs lives in a pouch that gets transferred from small to large pack as needed.

My commuter and road bikes have these.

They have enough room in the frame to fit it, with bottles. Basic stuff, specific to those bikes, just stays there. I can just grab either one and go, and not worry. From King cage. Stainless. They come in a couple different sizes, and a ti version of you really want to spend $$$.

All my rides have as many of the drive-train, braking, suspension, controls, etc. as I can from the same companies. Makes it easy to keep the spares bin stocked!
    Last edited by scrublover; 01-27-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Winter 2017 Random MTB Talk Thread

This is actually the kind of expensive shit I would buy:
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/schwalbe-...view-2016.html
    Given that all our bikes are tubeless and between us both we're getting maybe 2 flats a year, I'd gladly spend the bucks to free up some space and weight in my pack.

Apparently they delayed the release, because apparently they're hard to make, so apparently still waiting.

Given that all our bikes are tubeless and between us both we're getting maybe 2 flats a year, I'd gladly spend the bucks to free up some space and weight in my pack.

Apparently they delayed the release, because apparently they're hard to make, so apparently still waiting.

whoa! cool and all, but that's a lot of coin just for a spare tube. i've got enough spare and old tubes kicking about as is.

but...you're right, the reduction in pack/bag volume wouldn't hurt!

all the mtbs are running tubeless, X the fatty. i still like to carry a spare tube though, even if it's on the minimal side. shit happens.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    i still like to carry a spare tube though, even if it's on the minimal side. shit happens.
    Same with me. And I've tried "lightweight" tubes. They puncture so easily I end up limping home, so afraid to do anything to puncture the tube. So I carry 1-2 "normal" tubes which fill up a significant portion of the bottom of my backcountry pack.
    Given the rate at which our household is replacing drivetrain and brake parts, getting suspension serviced and just plain buying unnecessarily expensive bike toys; I could easily justify spending $50 once or twice a year on those Schwalbe tubes to lighten my pack and make it 5% easier to pack on a cold day in the mountains.
    This is 100% First World Problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post

Congrats on the Knolly gig, they make such sick bikes!
    Thanks

Those Fix It Sticks are the bomb, been carrying them since they came out. Those, a park CT-5 and a couple of pedros tire levers are it for tools. Spare tube, a glueless patch kit, couple of co2's, a hand pump and a tire boot for the inevitable blown sidewall and I'm good to go. All fits in a small frame bag that moves from bike to bike depending of flavor of the day. http://bikase.com/product/long-john-frame-bag/

Ooh I might need this.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Awesome. Would definitely buy. I have been carrying around the same tube since last April. A handful of enduro races, riding in Colorado and Montana, etc. and I still haven't had to use it once. It's the only cumbersome thing I have to carry with me on most rides.

I am a huge fan of the race face stash tank. Small tool, a couple gels, co2/valve, der hanger, speed link and tube is all I need. Plus it fits a 70oz bladder. All fit really nicely in the stash tank and riding without a backpack on is SOOOO much better.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Thanks

Those Fix It Sticks are the bomb, been carrying them since they came out. Those, a park CT-5 and a couple of pedros tire levers are it for tools. Spare tube, a glueless patch kit, couple of co2's, a hand pump and a tire boot for the inevitable blown sidewall and I'm good to go. All fits in a small frame bag that moves from bike to bike depending of flavor of the day. http://bikase.com/product/long-john-frame-bag/

Ooh I might need this.
    If you have the fixit sticks with swappable bits, he's making tire lever "bits" now.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    ...a tire boot for the inevitable blown sidewall
    I never knew those existed. We're always mickey mousing duct tape (if we have some) or a tube patch to limp home. Blown sidewalls are our number 1 breakdown these days on summer rides. Pinch flats on the fatty is happening now...because we need snow!...and I'm not running tubeless on my tanker.

Speaking of tire boots... anyone have a recommendation for one that works well with sealant? All the ones I've seen don't adhere well to the inside of the tire because of the messy sealant. Is there one out there that seems to be better than others?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Speaking of tire boots... anyone have a recommendation for one that works well with sealant? All the ones I've seen don't adhere well to the inside of the tire because of the messy sealant. Is there one out there that seems to be better than others?
    Your guides must carry a tool box of parts and tools, eh?

I saw a pic on insta of a girl (pro) that sewed her sidewall up with ty-wraps. It was pretty impressive. Held the tube in enough to limp home.

I mean for during rides... the guides carry a bunch of stuff, obviously not a box of tools and parts. Mostly it's just for my personal use too.

I've been using the Outvi Possum https://outvi.myshopify.com/ for the last two years and like it a lot. Carries a tool, and tire kit. Works with a seat dropper. Nothing more than what you need. Only downside I've noticed is having to take on and off all the time if you are putting bikes on a rack where it might get stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If you have the fixit sticks with swappable bits, he's making tire lever "bits" now.
    I just saw those the other day. They are high on the need list for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I never knew those existed. We're always mickey mousing duct tape (if we have some) or a tube patch to limp home. Blown sidewalls are our number 1 breakdown these days on summer rides. Pinch flats on the fatty is happening now...because we need snow!...and I'm not running tubeless on my tanker.
    Ya know that's a good point. I finally went tubeless two weeks ago when I got new wheels and tires and hadn't thought of that. Maybe this http://www.flexsealproducts.com/product/flextape/ Haha

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I mean for during rides... the guides carry a bunch of stuff, obviously not a box of tools and parts. Mostly it's just for my personal use too.
    Was being facetious about the 'tool box of tools', but they must be a little more prepared due to the amount of different bikes and the fact that people are paying for this experience, so their expectations are a little higher. I was thinking about the time we rented bikes in Taos and the shimano pedal fell apart and the bolt was lost. That had potential to be a shitshow. Thankfully we were close to the road and they drove out and replaced with new flats.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/reducti...ol-review.html
    Another multi tool that would be a nightmare to actually use on a bike. Imagine trying to tighten up your squeaking seat clamp with this thing. Pass.

Saw that... I guess the only good thing about it is that you'll (theoretically) have it on a keychain, which means it's a last-resort type of thing. Better than nothing?

Definitely looks way more like the things hanging up by the checkout line at REI.

That ring tool is a piece of garbage. I have one of the crankbros multi tools. It falls apart too often though. Any recommendations?

I like a simple tool that has long enough wrenches that I can actually use it in awkward spots like tightening a saddle clamp. Even overlapping shifter/brake/dropper levers can be a huge pain with stubby tools. And in reality, you only need about 6-9 tools. 20 pc multi tools are just retarded.
    8mm - Pedals. Do we really need this on the trail? The adapter is nice.
    6mm - Axle bolt
    5mm - Brake calipers
    4mm - Cockpit
    3mm - Pinch bolts
    2.5mm - Odi grip clamps
    T-25 Torx - Rotors. Do we really need this on the trail?
    Phillips - RD Limit Screws

I've almost completely given up on the chain tools that are built into multi tools. They make for a shitty multi tool and a shitty chain tool. I'd rather cary the Park CT-5.

I wish the Fix It Stix would let you mix an match the individual Stix. That way you can get what you want without needing to get the one with all the little attachments that'll get lost. I could survive with 3 Stix if they had 6mm, 5mm, 4mm, 3mm, 2.5mm, Phillips and an 8mm adapter.

Otherwise, something like this is ideal:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AOZWACT3QJ3QH

I've taken to keeping a small ziploc bag with the bits in it. At this point there are enough different allen and torx sizes being used that I think it's a good idea for me to have all of the important ones with me.