Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I'm considering picking up a second bike as a backup/loaner/whatever bike. Currently have a SC solo, run scrublover-style with 26" wheels and the fork set at 150mm. In general, I love it. But I like trying out different bikes and this is a great time to grab one.

On the short list for used bikes, partly because I've found some solid deals on each of these:
    - Transition Bandit 29er
    - Kona Process 134 (or a 111 if I could ever find a good deal on a large)
    - Giant Reign

I also have a short list of new bikes that are too new to find used examples of, so another option is to not buy now and hold out for..

- YT Jeffsy
    - SC Tallboy3
    - Transition Smuggler

Yes, the used bikes are pretty different from each other. I can't decide what would be the most fun to have. The Reign is almost certainly overkill but I haven't had a plowable bike in a while and that could be fun. But the Kona bikes are wicked fun. I've had/have a 111 but had to pass it on to the wife because it's a medium and just a little bit small for me. And I've never ridden the Bandit and it doesn't get talked about a lot but sounds Process-ish in it's design.

So.. thoughts?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I've been wavering on bike replacement for a couple years now...

I've always liked my Delirium but the thing got too freaking heavy to be fun to ride for anything but a shuttle, and I don't do much of that anymore. I put an air fork and shock on it which dropped it to 36lbs but it's still a beast. Its too bad because the thing climbed so well on techy stuff but would suck the life out of me on long climbs. Carbon warden might be a good option to replace. I've looked at HD3, RFX and Nomad too. All seem to climb *ok* meaning they'll get me to the top. But I'd still want an xc bike for times when there isn't a rowdy descent. How does the warden do on bigger hits?
    FWIW my warden carbon in size small is at about 30lbs. with Pike, CCDB, Ibis 741 wheels (holy fucking gamechanger), and X1/X01 drivetrain, XTR pedals.

I haven't taken it off anything huge. 7-8' drop is the biggest I have done. Handled it no problem.

So just yesterday, based on a hot tip from our own joetron here THANKS DUDE , I became the new Knolly rep for New England. I'm learning a whole bunch about them in a really short time and have all the talk from here in SR over the last few years to thank for what I already knew. If I have specific questions I'm gonna hit you up WRG

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So just yesterday, based on a hot tip from our own joetron here THANKS DUDE , I became the new Knolly rep for New England. I'm learning a whole bunch about them in a really short time and have all the talk from here in SR over the last few years to thank for what I already knew. If I have specific questions I'm gonna hit you up WRG
    Word.

^^^Double word!

Congrats! Lucky...

Thanks guys I am sooooooo looking forward to my sample bikes showing up Some of you should be too because apparently their reps are encouraged to sell them after 3 months or so to update with the latest and greatest even if that just means a color change. That means that there will be deals to be had BUT I'm going to be selective and require you to ride it a lot and show it off and say good things about it both locally and on a grander scale with lots of pics

Thanks guys I am sooooooo looking forward to my sample bikes showing up Some of you should be too because apparently their reps are encouraged to sell them after 3 months or so to update with the latest and greatest even if that just means a color change. That means that there will be deals to be had BUT I'm going to be selective and require you to ride it a lot and show it off and say good things about it both locally and on a grander scale with lots of pics
    I know there's more than a few guys interested in Knollys up this way. Maybe we could set something up with our club in the spring.

On a random subject, can someone please help me actually understand seat tube angles? The trend has obviously been toward steeper seat tube angles but there's a few parts about this I don't get. First, some frame designs seems to result in seat tubes that have VERY different actual vs. "effective" seat tube angles. To the point where the actual angle in the portion that the seatpost resides is so slack that if you actual require any amount of seat post extension, there's no way you end up with a angle as steep as quoted. Second, doesn't the saddle position on the rails (and also the rail clamp offset) play a pretty big role in dictating the effective angle? And along this line of thought, different people prefer to be in different positions relative to the bottom bracket while pedaling anyways, so.. what does seat angle really matter unless you're on the extreme end of the range?

When I read a lot of bike reviews back-to-back and see one bike get praised for it's "steep 74-degree seat tube" and another get knocked because "we wished it's 73.5-degree seat tube were a touch steeper" I'm just not understanding why they don't knock the saddle forward 5mm on the rails and call it a day.

My reference is Knollys, since we're kind of on that topic and there are a bunch of us on them (5 in my garage).
    With the Knollys, the seat tube is attached way up on the downtube, making the Actual seat tube angle crazy slack. It allows them to have a straight seat tube which means you can get a wicked long dropper in there.
    They have pretty slack Effective seat tube angles too, but it has a lot to do with (as mentioned above) a bunch of factors like saddle position and clamp style.
    But it also has a ton to do with how far your post is extended. Think in terms of someone who falls between a medium and large frame. If I ride on a medium frame I have to jack the post way up. This extends me further behind the bottom bracket. If I ride on a large frame, I keep the post lower and I end up more centered over the BB (relatively).
    The slackness also means as you extend the post, you extend the reach. For me that's worked out since a bigger guy can get on my bike and the cockpit doesn't feel cramped when he gets on it and raises the post an inch. Same thing for a shorter rider.
    A steep seat tube won't have this dynamic as much, for better or for worse.
    The slackness also means the saddle moves way forward when you drop the post. This is pretty nice for getting out back on steep descents and drops and for me it puts the saddle in a nicer place for moving the bike around under me.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0987.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	198091edit: sad for posting difficulties
    Last edited by jm2e; 01-23-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Congrats!

Does this mean you are hanging up that fatbike and riding a regular mtb?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Nice! Congrats on that pick up.

So glad this rep thing appears to be heading in the right direction for you

Congrats, GL. Hope you don't miss your old commute!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    I know there's more than a few guys interested in Knollys up this way. Maybe we could set something up with our club in the spring.

On a random subject, can someone please help me actually understand seat tube angles? The trend has obviously been toward steeper seat tube angles but there's a few parts about this I don't get. First, some frame designs seems to result in seat tubes that have VERY different actual vs. "effective" seat tube angles. To the point where the actual angle in the portion that the seatpost resides is so slack that if you actual require any amount of seat post extension, there's no way you end up with a angle as steep as quoted. Second, doesn't the saddle position on the rails (and also the rail clamp offset) play a pretty big role in dictating the effective angle? And along this line of thought, different people prefer to be in different positions relative to the bottom bracket while pedaling anyways, so.. what does seat angle really matter unless you're on the extreme end of the range?

When I read a lot of bike reviews back-to-back and see one bike get praised for it's "steep 74-degree seat tube" and another get knocked because "we wished it's 73.5-degree seat tube were a touch steeper" I'm just not understanding why they don't knock the saddle forward 5mm on the rails and call it a day.
    I was just in your 'hood last night at Spa City Bicycleworks and he also thinks there is opportunity there. Lets see what we can do about getting a time set for some test rides and turn opportunity into reality. I would have gotten in touch with you but it was a spur of the moment decision to go there and it was the end of a very long day. Next time for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    My reference is Knollys, since we're kind of on that topic and there are a bunch of us on them (5 in my garage).
    With the Knollys, the seat tube is attached way up on the downtube, making the Actual seat tube angle crazy slack. It allows them to have a straight seat tube which means you can get a wicked long dropper in there.
    They have pretty slack Effective seat tube angles too, but it has a lot to do with (as mentioned above) a bunch of factors like saddle position and clamp style.
    But it also has a ton to do with how far your post is extended. Think in terms of someone who falls between a medium and large frame. If I ride on a medium frame I have to jack the post way up. This extends me further behind the bottom bracket. If I ride on a large frame, I keep the post lower and I end up more centered over the BB (relatively).
    The slackness also means as you extend the post, you extend the reach. For me that's worked out since a bigger guy can get on my bike and the cockpit doesn't feel cramped when he gets on it and raises the post an inch. Same thing for a shorter rider.
    A steep seat tube won't have this dynamic as much, for better or for worse.
    The slackness also means the saddle moves way forward when you drop the post. This is pretty nice for getting out back on steep descents and drops and for me it puts the saddle in a nicer place for moving the bike around under me.
    Using real world knowledge rather than internet blather? What are you thinking Good stuff

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0987.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	198091edit: sad for posting difficulties
    I'm the worst at posting pics here, can't make it work at all. I think I'm too old

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Congrats!

Does this mean you are hanging up that fatbike and riding a regular mtb?
    Thanks man!

:sigh: I also picked up Advocate Cycles for the New England region so have started riding a steel plus hardtail recently. Skinny tires are so weird Haha, if everything goes right with this line I will most likely change my current fat frame to a Watchman Ti just because fatties will always hold a place in my heart no matter how good everything else may be. Who needs a gravel or bikepacking bike

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Nice! Congrats on that pick up.

So glad this rep thing appears to be heading in the right direction for you
    Paid my dues last year and ran myself nearly broke but things are more than just headed in the right direction now. I will be in your area soon, will let you know ahead of time which Wednesday it will be so we can get out and get muddy (assuming winter will still be on its long term hiatus )

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Congrats, GL. Hope you don't miss your old commute!
    So that's what it takes to get you out of whatever hole you've been hiding in Thanks dude Not only do I not miss that commute I haven't even gone back down to the city since then. Don't miss it at all but I will have to pop in occasionally before my girls leave for college to take them to see and do things they won't have access to in the NEK.

Slowly looking around for a new rig for this year. I'm moving to Oregon this summer/fall and want an all-round bikepack/singletrack/offroader. Not a full on fat bike but I like the 29 or 27.5+ platform capable of 3" tires, ability to swap out rigid or suspension forks and braze ons for racks, bags, cages, etc. Weight is non critical but I'd like a bike that's sturdy enough to handle future longer and remote bike excursions. I've been looking at the Surly Krampus/ECR but also open to bikes other than Surly. Any suggestions?

Have you checked out any of the bikes from Framed? They seem to be making a big push and are fully customizable online.
    Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Slowly looking around for a new rig for this year. I'm moving to Oregon this summer/fall and want an all-round bikepack/singletrack/offroader. Not a full on fat bike but I like the 29 or 27.5+ platform capable of 3" tires, ability to swap out rigid or suspension forks and braze ons for racks, bags, cages, etc. Weight is non critical but I'd like a bike that's sturdy enough to handle future longer and remote bike excursions. I've been looking at the Surly Krampus/ECR but also open to bikes other than Surly. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    http://advocatecycles.com/product/seldom-seen/ Available in early March. Hits all of your wants and comes with 27.5 x 3.0 rubber.

http://advocatecycles.com/product/seldom-seen/ Available in early March. Hits all of your wants and comes with 27.5 x 3.0 rubber.
    Exactly what I'm looking for. Where are you in NY? I'm in western NY and would love to take a test spin if there's any shops out here

I'm just a few miles from the CT border. Like I said in the post they will not be ready to ship for another 6 weeks or so. I will have one when they start shipping so maybe you should take a ride out this way and we'll go for a ride.

[QUOTE=gravitylover;4919724]I was just in your 'hood last night at Spa City Bicycleworks and he also thinks there is opportunity there. Lets see what we can do about getting a time set for some test rides and turn opportunity into reality. I would have gotten in touch with you but it was a spur of the moment decision to go there and it was the end of a very long day. Next time for sure.

/QUOTE]

Yeah, Tony's a good guy. Loves his fat bikes, that's for sure.
    I'll bring up the Knolly stuff with our club and see what we can get rolling.

Does anyone think the overly elaborate, unnecessarily "stashed" multi tool trend is fixing a problem that doesn't exist?
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/industr...view-2016.html

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/multitool-r...olution-italy/
    Fitting a multi tool in my pack or pocket is one thing that's never been a problem. But then again, maybe spouses of cyclists need something expensive that they would never buy themselves as gift options.
    Last edited by jm2e; 01-27-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Pocket could be bad if you land on it and it stabs you or breaks a bone and I have had them puncture the reservoir in rough tumbles. I had given up on saddle bags entirely until going fat when I needed a place for the huge tube but am now using a small frame bag instead because I got tired of the feeling of the bag moving under the seat. The stashed tool thing does seem kind of silly but people are buying them so maybe I'm just being a grumpy old guy.

Does anyone think the overly elaborate, unnecessarily "stashed" multi tool trend is fixing a problem that doesn't exist?
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/industr...olution-italy/
    Fitting a multi tool in my pack or pocket is one thing that's never been a problem. But then again, maybe spouses of cyclists need something expensive that they would never buy themselves as gift options.
    Link is dead but I think I know what you're talking about. My take on it is that you can just grab your bike and go. Riding packless has caught on in a big way, and if you have your tube, pump/CO2, and tool all on the bike already, all you have to do is grab your shoes helmet and water bottle and you're good to go for an hour or so.

I race without a pack and ride as often as I can without one, but still haven't seen a tool setup that seems as usable or useful as a regular multitool. A lot of them look sweet but are overpriced or overly complicated. My trusty lezyne ended up getting way too rusty with all the sweat its seen over the past two years in my bib pocket, so I'm starting to try and think of what looks good as a replacement.

A friend just ordered one of these (again overpriced): https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...ja-tc-mountain
    I'm curious to see how they are, if all that junk will stay in place while riding.

I'm enduroasfuq, so definitely take that into consideration for what I say haha

Congrats on the Knolly gig, they make such sick bikes!
    Last edited by Anospa; 01-27-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Link is dead
    Sorry. Fixed.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...ols/174-mini-9
    Done. For short rides I don't need a chain tool. And I don't like the stubby awkward wrenches that come with a lot of multitools.
    I do think the Topeka Ninja thing is a good idea for the water bottle crew.

I currently have a big pack I use for backcountry rides. It's got a more elaborate tool kit in it.
    For local rides, I use a fanny pack and a water bottle. Small multi tool and a couple bars. Anything big and I walk out.