State of Megamid type tents?

In the market for a new floorless tent. The classic was the Megamid, now Megalight. There've been some other entrants - Mountain Hardwear, MSR, Sierra Designs - who have exited, I think. There's at least one newish entrant - https://seekoutside.com/ - at the current (end 2016) time. Anyone have preferences, opinions? Looking for a ski touring/BC type tent that's light

I used the megalight in the winter and it sucks, hard to keep snow blowing in. Plus it takes about half an hour to dig the platform and set it up.
    Not to speak of mega condensation.

Look at tarptent.com

Same weight, minutes to set up add double wall.

State of Megamid type tents?

Don't have one, but these guys should probably be in your mix:
    https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.co...ers-tents.html

Speedy, but dyneema is the shit.

Mountain Laurel Designs is another.

Brooks Range Rocket tent too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

You definitely want to go floorless? As above, they are a pain to set up on snow (though it is possible to get them set up solidly, and resistant to snow, but it takes time and skill), so really best for base camp use, not traverses. I have a Megamid, I love it, but it's not the best for every situation, a lot of pros and cons.

How are you planning to use it?

BTW, the tarp tent mentioned above doesn't look good in wind or with blown snow. Anyone got any real world experience with them? They look like they are for summer use.

I've used a classic Megamid extensively on ski traverses. With 2 (or 3) motivated people sharing the workload it takes 30 mins or so to construct the benches, entryway, and stem walls that are key to the setup. It's light weight, spacious, surprisingly warm (especially when cooking). handles any weather, and you can cook and gather snow and pee all from the comfort of your sleeping bag. A lightweight bivy sack somewhat addresses the reality that it's always pretty damp. Strap ski poles together as a tent pole to cut extra weight. You can pay absurd amounts for some magical fabrics, but the MLD mid in silnylon seems both light and reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer View Post
    You definitely want to go floorless? As above, they are a pain to set up on snow (though it is possible to get them set up solidly, and resistant to snow, but it takes time and skill), so really best for base camp use, not traverses. I have a Megamid, I love it, but it's not the best for every situation, a lot of pros and cons.

How are you planning to use it?

BTW, the tarp tent mentioned above doesn't look good in wind or with blown snow. Anyone got any real world experience with them? They look like they are for summer use.
    I use the stratospire 2 and it's good in wind and snow.

I use ziplock bags filled with snow for anchors.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I used the megalight in the winter and it sucks, hard to keep snow blowing in. Plus it takes about half an hour to dig the platform and set it up.
    Not to speak of mega condensation.

Look at tarptent.com

Same weight, minutes to set up add double wall.
    Not sure where you getting your info but tarptent doesn't make a 4 person tent that comes even close to the weight of a megalight fly. Any single wall tent will have condensation issues and any double wall tent will have weight and spindrift issues. A floorless tent, when setup tight, lets the condensation run down into the snow

If you're having trouble setting up the megalight.. you should practice more. They're plenty storm-worthy and easily the best mix of protection/weight/price on the market that I'm currently aware of. Leave the pole at home and use a ski as your center pole.

I think everyone that's having issues with the megalights ought to practice setting them up a bit more. My first night in one, I woke up covered in two inches of spindrift, but since then I've gotten better and now it's all I use on multi day traverses. They offer a huge weight savings and way more livable space than any tent options. Plus, once you've mastered the couch, all other winter camping seems uncivilized...
    Name:  mega3.jpg
Views: 2945
Size:  74.4 KB
    Name:  mega.jpg
Views: 5999
Size:  103.7 KB

^^^Mid couch game on point. Not to mention the expensive Movement ski anchors

Yeah Mid's are not for the unpracticed, esp in snow. But they are wonderful once you get over the learning curve.

BD Megalight is good for the price, if on sale. Modified mid tie outs are nice on it though. MLD, HMG, and Seek Outside all make very good mids at various price points and sizes. There's also the old GoLite/new My Trail Co mids to consider if used or on sale. I'm probably missing some mfg but this list is a good start.

As for Tarptent, a different discussion altogether. Apples and cantaloupes.

OK, I'll bite on some of the stuff above...

I love my megamid, I've used it in winter, I'd use it for snow camping if the circumstances were right - but they definitely have their downsides, as well as their upsides. Here are a few thoughts about the downsides:
    • Once you have a clue, putting them up in ideal conditions *is* quite straightforward (if several factors slower and more energy consuming than a traditional tent). But have you ever tried putting up a Megamid on very loose snow that won't compact? It is a nightmare. See also getting it up in a howling gale (which is exactly the time you need it to be up quickly, so you can shelter). Add in the fact that most people are drenched in sweat by the time the 'mid is up - really not ideal at the end of a day, before snow camping. All less of a problem with a traditional tent.
    • The condensation issue mentioned - it's not a problem if the condensation doesn't freeze, it does indeed drain down the sides. But if it's cold it freezes onto the inside of the fly, then when the wind blows it rains down on the interior. Sometime this is just a little bit annoying, sometimes it's enough to compromise a down sleeping bag - so you need a bivvy bag, or a synthetic bag. Not so lightweight after all.
    • Sure, you can use your ski poles to hold it up. What happens when you go skiing? If you are using it for a base camp you definitely need a pole for the megamid, unless you want to go through the performance of breaking/pitching camp every day. Again, not so light.
    • Whatever anyone says, they are way less solid in a storm than a traditional multi-pole mountain tent. Factor in a single skin tent and those are less difference in weight than they used to be. If I'm more than a short ski out I know which I'd prefer if bad weather is possible.

OP didn't mention how he plans to use a Megamid. A lot of the comments above might not matter to them. Spring skiing, high pressure weather systems - it can be great. Mid-winter, unsettled weather, long way from civilisation - might not be the ideal choice. And everyone has a different discomfort/risk tolerance. YMMV etc etc.
    Last edited by Mulletizer; 01-03-2017 at 04:45 AM.

megamid

my vote megamid- light only first hand. what was said above great for a group and touring
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09709.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	888.3 KB 
ID:	196359