Level 1 Avalanche Fundamentals Course (Reno and Donner Pass)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avalanche.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	195996

3 night classes in Reno, and 2 day classes at Donner Pass

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 6:00 PM to Sunday, February 26, 2017, 5:00 PM

This will be the fourth year of Keith Gale from the National Ski Patrol coming to Reno to give this class! Here is a description of the NSP avalanche training program: http://bit.ly/2i10fto

Keith Gale, an avalanche instructor trainer with the National Ski Patrol (nsp.org) is presenting a course that meets the American Avalanche Association guidelines for U.S. avalanche education course “Level 1: Avalanche Fundamentals”. This is a 28 hour course that includes classroom presentations and field work.

Here is the course description:

This course teaches students how terrain, weather, and snowpack contribute to avalanche hazards. This knowledge is used during decision-making exercises in the classroom and in the field session. Students also become acquainted with human factors, which skew effective decision making. The course covers movement through avalanche terrain, route selection/hazard identification, and stability assessments in the field environment. Also focuses heavily on the fundamentals of self, group, and organized rescue. Students complete a written exam and practical evaluation during field exercises. Upon course completion, students are qualified to participate in organized rescue operations.

Class times (you will need to attend all of these classes to complete the course):
    Wednesday – 6:00PM to 9:30PM (Reno)
    Thursday – 6:00PM to 9:30PM (Reno)
    Friday – 6:00PM to 9:30PM (Reno)
    Saturday – 8:30AM to 5:00PM (Donner Summit Sno Play Area)
    Sunday – 8:30AM to 5:00PM (Donner Summit Sno Play Area)

Basic equipment list:

“Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain” by Bruce Tremper – our main text source for the course. Purchase and read this before the course begins.

Appropriate clothing and your typical outdoor kit for being out in snowy conditions (food, warm drinks, extra layers, etc.).

Skis, snowshoes, or snowboard with climbing skins (what you are most comfortable with).

Beacon, shovel, probe (limited quantities might be available for a few students to borrow, but you should be prepared to bring your own set).

Send an email to danomike@yahoo.com - Daniel Ellsworth will send you a private email with additional pre-class questions.

Keith Gale is the instructor and host of the course and all questions should be directed to him. All funds collected for the course are collected for Keith Gale to teach the course. This course is provided by the National Ski Patrol, a non-profit organization.

Keith is going to have all students sign a National Ski Patrol System Event/Training Release Form the first night of class. This is required by the National Ski Patrol.

Price: $211.44
    Last edited by danomike; 12-28-2016 at 12:10 PM.

affordable class right there!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Yea, the Sierra Avalanche Center did a "know before you go" presentation in Reno a couple of weeks ago and the main question was "why is avalanche education so expensive?".

Well here is this class, and nobody is signing up. Crazy...

Why is your life so cheap? Is a good response.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Level 1 courses didn't used to average $425 per person. They used to cost $250-299.

But I guess ski boots used to cost $500 not $1000...

The course that fuac used to offer included lodging, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I like it.

Yea, the SAC forecaster was kind of stunned by the "why is avalanche education so expensive" question when he was asked that.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Level 1 courses didn't used to average $425 per person. They used to cost $250-299.

But I guess ski boots used to cost $500 not $1000...
    NSP can offer the class for less, since they are non-profit. Being in the right place to take one of their classes can be a challenge sometimes.

LTCC offers it for even less if in-state. My Avy 1 and Avy 2 was less than $180 together
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    LTCC offers it for even less if in-state. My Avy 1 and Avy 2 was less than $180 together
    Yea, typically colleges offer it for a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by danomike View Post
    NSP can offer the class for less, since they are non-profit. Being in the right place to take one of their classes can be a challenge sometimes.
    There are other NSP avalanche courses planned for this season as well, at similar pricing.

Information: http://www.easternsierraregion.org/A...Avalanche.html
    Calendar: http://easternsierraregion.org/Calendar/Calendar.html

Looks like there is an Avy I course scheduled for 1/21-22, and MTR 1 in February.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    There are other NSP avalanche courses planned for this season as well, at similar pricing.

Information: http://www.easternsierraregion.org/A...Avalanche.html
    Calendar: http://easternsierraregion.org/Calendar/Calendar.html

Looks like there is an Avy I course scheduled for 1/21-22, and MTR 1 in February.
    Thanks, "Dad"! Keith is with Pinecrest NSP. Is there any way we can get this class posted on your calendar? Does the Eastern Sierra NSP do any classes in Reno? Stuff like that is good to know for the future...

Not my calendar.

But I just emailed Keith.
    not counting days 2016-17

We still have a few spots open for this class.