26+ (plus for you search jongs) - why not?

At the risk of inciting a Damien Sanders diatribe ...

No seriously, why not? Now that you can get Minions at 26 x 3"? A lot of tire options available now that weren't available 2 years ago.

Seems like a really good way to winterize a 650B frame if the stays and fork are at least 75mm apart, or a high clearance 26" frame. Run the plus wheels with 2.8-3" tires when things are soggy mid-winter or blown out mid-summer, run the regular wheels with 2.3" tires when things are rolling fast on the trail.

I have yet to demo 27+ or 29+, but am currently trying to figure out what to build for a PNW (Eugene, OR) winter bike, and it seems like 26+ might not be a bad option. I'm 5'8" 135 lbs soaking wet, so I don't need this so-called "rollover" capability of bigger wheels if I can shave a pound of rim and rubber off of a setup.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I don't think there will be any weight savings to be had, but this is something I've been mulling over for a few months. Not having had a chance to ride a plus setup, I'm hesitant based on some of the possible drawbacks - fragile tires, squirm while pushing hard at lower pressures, and also the distinct possibility of dropping a bunch of money on something that doesn't end up being any more awesome than just getting fresh rubber in general.

With that said, I may still go forward with it, since it'd be a good winter project on a bike that doesn't need any other work done to it. Eager to here other opinions or experiences.

After 3 years on a fatbike I've gotten used to the huge outer diameter (height not width of footprint) and really appreciate the rolloverability that a 31" diameter gives you. I just picked up Advocate Cycles and will have a 27.5x3 bike with my samples so will be able to get out and see if I like it for the same reason, hope so. I think that with 26+ having a wider and taller tire than regular 26 will be nice but will not get the real height advantage or the width (obviously) of a fat bike so why bother dragging the rubber weight.

Radam - I can stop and meet for a ride sometime if you want to take it for a spin. Maybe at SMBA or Pine Hill or if there's something cool that I've never ridden...

Because: boing boing boing, shhhrippppp, psssssssssssssss, awwwwwww
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Did schralph move?

26+ (plus for you search jongs) - why not?

^Fiancée is about to accept a job in Eugene starting next summer. Already thinking about winter bikes because I have nothing better to do

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Congrats Alex. Best we ski a little this winter before you move up to the Shire.

I'm not interested in a dedicated plus bike but Mojo3 and HD3 are both designed for 27.5 and 27.5+. I'm sure there are others. Oregon was the first road trip I did with my MojoSL when I bought it, perfect bike for OR - climbs well, and not too much travel for their buff trails.

I'm unlikely to offload my Bronson v1 unless I can fetch a good haul for it (would probably want a Hightower for Oregon), but I really don't want to ride that thing day out day in on wet muck during the winters. So I'm looking at a plus hardtail as a winter bike, but honestly thinking, why not go 26+?

I hear what woo is saying, but if it's wet and mucky enough that I don't want to ride in my Bronson, I think a little bit of boing boing would be less noticed and a little bit more float on patches of muck would be much appreciated.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I grew up around there and mud clearance + fenders are what you need.