Tried the Salomon X-Pro 120 or 130 boots? Like 'em?

I'm skiing a Rossi Alltrack boot shortly, also interested in the Salomon X-Pro 120 or 130. Might get a pair as well to switch off with and ultimately keep what I like best. Anyone ski the X-Pro boots and if so, could you share your experiences, pluses and minuses?

(I'm looking at X-Pro over X-Max due mostly to the grippier/replaceable sole on the Pro, better for hiking on slippery stuff. Edit: I realize the X-Pro is also built on a 2mm wider last, also a plus for me.)

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Super D; 12-20-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Had both x-pro and x-max 120 and hated the weird flex of them esp once it got warm. I'm s bigger taller chap at 6'4 and 220 but I'm now in Lange XT130s
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Love 'em. The first boot I've had that I buckle in the morning and unbuckle when I'm done at the end of the day. They are not as stiff as some of the boots I've had in the past but I'm over that game anyway.

I've been in Solly's for years and in the X Pro 130 for 3 seasons. It fits my foot. 101 or so width.
    I bought the X Pro 120 last spring at a great price. It is not the same last, definitely narrower. The good news is it's very simple to customize these shells in the comfort of your own home. I've done it successfully on two pair.

Been on Xmax 130s for 3 or 4 years now. Fits me perfectly. They do flex a little softer than the number indicates. So if you are on the fence between 120 and 130, go 130 and it'll feel like a good 120+.

Xpros are the wider last than the Xmax. So if you like that rubberized stuff but still want that 98mm feel, you can get something a little grippier put on aftermarket at a good bootfitter.

Quote Originally Posted by lordf View Post
    Had both x-pro and x-max 120 and hated the weird flex of them esp once it got warm. I'm s bigger taller chap at 6'4 and 220 but I'm now in Lange XT130s
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Love 'em. The first boot I've had that I buckle in the morning and unbuckle when I'm done at the end of the day. They are not as stiff as some of the boots I've had in the past but I'm over that game anyway.
    That's good to hear. Not many boots stay buckled for me like that, unless they're very broken in.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B View Post
    I've been in Solly's for years and in the X Pro 130 for 3 seasons. It fits my foot. 101 or so width.
    I bought the X Pro 120 last spring at a great price. It is not the same last, definitely narrower. The good news is it's very simple to customize these shells in the comfort of your own home. I've done it successfully on two pair.
    Did you punch out the 5th met head on your boots yourself? If so, how? I'm actually looking at boot fitting tools right now, thinking of making my own punch tool. Used to work in a shop years ago and don't have access to tools anymore, which is frustrating. I like working on my own stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjake View Post
    Been on Xmax 130s for 3 or 4 years now. Fits me perfectly. They do flex a little softer than the number indicates. So if you are on the fence between 120 and 130, go 130 and it'll feel like a good 120+.

Xpros are the wider last than the Xmax. So if you like that rubberized stuff but still want that 98mm feel, you can get something a little grippier put on aftermarket at a good bootfitter.
    I'm actually pretty happy with softer forward flex these days, the skis just don't seem to require as much leverage as they used to in order to initiate turns. (If I was charging rock hard conditions, I'd switch back to very stiff, just to keep the skis from wandering, but I'm trying to time all my days for fresh snow whenever possible.) Also I like the extra absorption of a little softer forward flexing boot over small irregularities at speed--kind of like a softer suspension. I used to drive a super stiff little sports car over normal roads, and every little bump or crack was transferred to me, kind of like a super stiff race boot. No thanks, not wanting that anymore. I skied a 110 boot last few seasons and eventually took the cuff rivets out in fact (just to experiment to see what would happen), and it was fine for pretty much everything. 120 is the most I'd go for now (with the caveat that there is no standard, so we don't really know what 120 is from one boot to the next, and then there's the variable of materials changing characteristics under temperature swings...it's a bit of moving target I suppose.

Great boot for my higher volume feet. What do you weigh? I've got the x-pro 130s and do wish they were a bit stiffer flexing, but weigh 205. They are adequate, but I do especially notice a want for a stiffer flexing boot in warmer temps and wouldn't mind it in the colder temps. They do have a setting to make them softer.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Great boot for my higher volume feet. What do you weigh? I've got the x-pro 130s and do wish they were a bit stiffer flexing, but weigh 205. They are adequate, but I do especially notice a want for a stiffer flexing boot in warmer temps and wouldn't mind it in the colder temps. They do have a setting to make them softer.
    I weigh 175-185 depending on how many miles I'm putting in on the bike.

Used to weigh 205 before I got back into cycling heavily. Then I dropped 28 lbs in 6 months, holy sh*t. All my pants were falling off.

On this one you can change the sole blocks to tech right?

Does it fit with the beast binding? I remember there was an issue with salomon and dynafit beasts... dunno if it was also a concern for this boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Super D View Post
    That's good to hear. Not many boots stay buckled for me like that, unless they're very broken in.

Did you punch out the 5th met head on your boots yourself? If so, how? I'm actually looking at boot fitting tools right now, thinking of making my own punch tool. Used to work in a shop years ago and don't have access to tools anymore, which is frustrating. I like working on my own stuff.
    No tools. You do it the same way a shop does an Intuition Power Wrap. Heat the boot, pad your foot where you need it, toe cap. Done.
    Search Youtube. Couple of German speaking kids show you how.
    I did it with X Pro 120 and my Quest Max touring boot. Came out perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    On this one you can change the sole blocks to tech right?

Does it fit with the beast binding? I remember there was an issue with salomon and dynafit beasts... dunno if it was also a concern for this boot.
    That is the Quest series.

(I'm looking at X-Pro over X-Max due mostly to the grippier/replaceable sole on the Pro, better for hiking on slippery stuff.)

Thanks,
    Dave
    That should have very little to do with how you pick a boot. The two boots are very different in width. Pick the one that fits your foot.

X-Pro is on the wider end of the other "100mm" width boots. X-Max is on the wider end of the "98mm" boots.

As a general rule Salomon boots have some of the lower instep heights and tend to be a little wider at the ball of the foot than others. Great fitting for some, not for others. Depends on your foot. One thing that I don't understand about their boots is they seem to be tight at the bottom of the heel but then kind of open around your ankle. I don't get this sensation from any other boots out there.

Don't quote me but I believe the X-Pro can fit 100ish up to 108 if you have the shell done. I've always had to punch out my 6th toe zone and a couple hot spots interior and do some liner padding cutting. I've got about 50 days on the X-Pro with none of that. I had some insoles molded and the shells heated and it's been great. I'm at about a 1cm shell fit too. I'm not say these boots are for everyone...don't want to come across like that but they really do work for me.

I will say I notice a much softer flex when the temps are warm and they are not as stiff as a "120" in some other boots I've owned but I'm actually liking the little softer flex. I wouldn't go much softer though.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    That should have very little to do with how you pick a boot. The two boots are very different in width. Pick the one that fits your foot.

X-Pro is on the wider end of the other "100mm" width boots. X-Max is on the wider end of the "98mm" boots.

As a general rule Salomon boots have some of the lower instep heights and tend to be a little wider at the ball of the foot than others. Great fitting for some, not for others. Depends on your foot. One thing that I don't understand about their boots is they seem to be tight at the bottom of the heel but then kind of open around your ankle. I don't get this sensation from any other boots out there.
    Yep, I realize the X-Pro is also built on a 2mm wider last than the X-Max, a plus for me. The grippier sole is a bonus, not the main reason so I shouldn't have said it that way; I'd looked at last width first, switchable soles, and then the grippy surface last so it was front of mind at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Don't quote me but I believe the X-Pro can fit 100ish up to 108 if you have the shell done. I've always had to punch out my 6th toe zone and a couple hot spots interior and do some liner padding cutting. I've got about 50 days on the X-Pro with none of that. I had some insoles molded and the shells heated and it's been great. I'm at about a 1cm shell fit too. I'm not say these boots are for everyone...don't want to come across like that but they really do work for me.

I will say I notice a much softer flex when the temps are warm and they are not as stiff as a "120" in some other boots I've owned but I'm actually liking the little softer flex. I wouldn't go much softer though.
    Sort of surprising that boot material is still so temp sensitive after all these years, isn't it? I'd have thought that variable would've been tuned out by now.

Sort of surprising that boot material is still so temp sensitive after all these years, isn't it? I'd have thought that variable would've been tuned out by now.
    I'm really not sure but have always thought it's the plastic in these that allows the shell to be moldable. I'm lazy and store these in a hot shed all summer and they didn't lose their form so they've got that going for them.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Wasatch nails it on the fit IMO. I think it fits a less bony low arch foot best.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I had the X-Pro 100's for awhile when I was new to skiing and they were very comfortable but the size I got was too big + got them heat molded = swimming in them. I couldn't tell the difference at the time.

Funny thing is I ordered the 120's in the same size without trying them on and assumed my fit needs hadn't changed after progressing as a skier. So now I've got the X-pro 120's in a 26.5 that I can't take back or exchange. If ya need a pair let me know ;-)

Not sure if its been mentioned yet but Salomon's X boot series give you a ton of room to work with in that custom shell, so the fit can become super precise but don't make the mistake I did and get them too big . I'd say you can safely drop down a size in them, feet depending of course.

Sizing and everything aside, though, I thought the 100's skied well (as great as huge boots can) and the custom shell was super easy to do at a shop. Thought the stock liner was especially nice for what it is, super padded and comfy. I'd also agree that temp changes the flex quite a bit. My 100s were solid on colder days but the moment it warmed up they became so soft. This is true for my 120's as well, softer than you'd expect for a 120 in a living room test.

One thing that was remarkable to me though (probably cause of the huge fit, but still) was that my feet were rarely ever super cold/numb skiing in my 100's which a very common theme for my feet. Even if I cranked the buckles they were still pretty cozy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaaker View Post
    I had the X-Pro 100's for awhile when I was new to skiing and they were very comfortable but the size I got was too big + got them heat molded = swimming in them. I couldn't tell the difference at the time.

Funny thing is I ordered the 120's in the same size without trying them on and assumed my fit needs hadn't changed after progressing as a skier. So now I've got the X-pro 120's in a 26.5 that I can't take back or exchange. If ya need a pair let me know ;-)
    What size street shoe do you wear, 10?

I'm an 11 on my left foot and 11.5 on my right and squeeze into 27 shells in everything typically.

What size street shoe do you wear, 10?

I'm an 11 on my left foot and 11.5 on my right and squeeze into 27 shells in everything typically.
    I'm usually a 10, yeah. The 26.5 is a 306 boot sole length, if you have anything to compare that to.
    Last edited by Jaaker; 12-20-2016 at 11:52 PM.

I have about 40-45 days on my x-pro 120s now. 8 days in the last two weeks. Love them overall. Sometimes hurt a little for the first few runs, and on very cold days my toes can get somewhat cold, but bearable. I use a dry guy heater in the morning and it's awesome.

I went a slightly unconventional route and had them molded with a fischer vacuum machine, couldn't be happier with the end result. I have weird wide feet (106mm last, but pretty normal instep and heel), and these are pretty much the only boots that I think would work with my feet without extensive work. I weigh 165lbs, and unlike some of the other people I'm very happy with the 120 flex and wouldn't really want to go stiffer. I like being able to flex the boots a little more, and with them molded so close to my foot and calf I don't find them soft at all. I'm curious if in some way the vaccuum process made them less prone to flexing. I wear a size 10 shoe normally and am in 25.5s

Check out this thread for the full details on what I did:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...iew?highlight=

Got a week in on my X-Pro 120's at Steamboat, really like them. They ski great, buckles work great, and after the first heat fit, the only thing I need to work on is making some room over blood vessels on top of my instep. If I can nail that with some extra material over the foot and re-heating just that area, it'll be nailed down pretty well.