Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    NO TELE. but

It's not the best but still makes a big difference

From a test in Machinist's Workshop magazine
    I supose I could piss on something and call it penetrating oil

The point of using penetrating oil is to actualy free a stuck fastener hence my point that WD 40 is WATER DISPLACER

not penetrating oil
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I supose I could piss on something and call it penetrating oil

The point of using penetrating oil is to actualy free a stuck fastener hence my point that WD 40 is WATER DISPLACER

not penetrating oil
    It almost halved the required torque to free a rusty bolt. And WD40 is not just a water displacer. It definitely penetrates, lubricates and cleans. For example I loosened many seized bike chains with it. Technically any petroleum based product is a water displacer. Tere's a bit more to WD40.

Man, since this isn't a bike forum, I didn't think mentioning WD40 would spark up a debate...

wd40 is what old people ask for at the hardware store...things change.

well its Teck talk so we are all here to learn something and show off/up the next guy

the WD40 as penetrating oil is a common misconception

so you don't wana mislead all these fucking dentists reading the thread

I had a GF who said depending on if something needs holding together or it holds together and it shouldn't everything can be fixed with ductape or WD40 ... a whole lotta deffered maintenance at her house

i'm pretty sure these dentists need/use a handy man

vice/vicegrips/ penetrating oil i am pretty sure I could get stuck cartridges moving
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-15-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Well then, lets not mislead anyone... penetrating oil is weak sauce. Oxy-acetylene FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Well then, lets not mislead anyone... penetrating oil is weak sauce. Oxy-acetylene FTW.
    I know!

if that doesnt work ...a small nuke

Hm, know of any good DIY guide for a small nuke?

(On a more serious note, even with a vice and vice-grips, i can't apply any decent torque to the cable. If you're aware of a trick I'm not, please advise).

cable slips in the vice eh ? Bummer

back in the day I had some RIVA II's with cables that would not go small enough to fit my new T3's that fit my small AZN foot, obviously this was the result of my people practicing the many centuries of footbinding ... but I digress

SO I could spend 40-50$ to buy shorter cables OR find a way to take up that extra space SO i wandered into the HW store looking for "something" to macgyver that cable, I found some neoprene gas line which I threaded the cable thru and it worked perfectly to take up the extra space in front of the binding plate, it was actually > new because the gas line protected the cable from edge cuts and routed it around the plate > stock

that may not work for your app but you get the idea eh?

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Unfortunately, the OP lives in Canadia and shipping there these days doubles the price, at least that's the feedback I'm getting from USPS.com.
    Go UPS or FedEx. USPS subs out the delivery, costs more and takes longer

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    50 US is 67can on top of the shipping ...it just adds up

Quote Originally Posted by auxym View Post
    Hm, know of any good DIY guide for a small nuke?
    Two parts WD40 one of plutonium.

Hit up local ski shop with tele gear. Ask if they have old targa demo heels. G3 used to have short, stand, and long heels for quick adjustment on demo skis. Maybe short heels will allow better fit.
    But- honestly, buying those HHs for 50bucks is the best solution. Realistically, those cartridges and cables have outlived their usefulness & you're looking at $90+ at retail to replace it all.
    Plus targas really suck.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    50 US is 67can on top of the shipping ...it just adds up
    Gotcha, I would totally save $17 to ski on shitty gear too

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    UPS and Fedex screw you on duty processing fees though.

ps. A local guy a some used hammerheads he's willing to let go at 135. Might go have a look at them this weekend. I'm also considering buckling down for some shiny new X2s from my local shop, but at 360 it's a bit steep considering I've never pulled a single t-turn :P
    Last edited by auxym; 12-16-2016 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by auxym View Post
    UPS and Fedex screw you on duty processing fees though.

ps. A local guy a some used hammerheads he's willing to let go at 135. Might go have a look at them this weekend. I'm also considering buckling down for some shiny new X2s from my local shop, but at 360 it's a bit steep considering I've never pulled a single t-turn :P
    My brother shipped skis to CAN from SLC to Dr. Sih and I'm pretty sure they were duty free. I looked back at my uncleared messages and my brother asked him why skis would be duty free. He explained its written into NAFTA between the US and CAN govs that downhill skis would not be charged a duty. He thought he might have to pay some taxes on it though. He said writing 'downhill skis' on the label would wave the duty. Don't see why ski bindings would be any different. Not 100% on it though, but worth investigating or maybe PMing Dr. Sih

USPS will not charge a fee if the item is duty-free, but UPS and FedEx will charge just for the privilege of using their brokerage service. Fed and prov taxes will be applied at the counter/delivery, and will be based on the stated value (on a blue moon sometimes the taxes get 'missed' for less costly items).

I was also under the impression that USPS was the cheapest way to get anything up here

Stuff you buy on-line from the US is almost never free shipping to Canada

add the exchange and for the most part it aint worth buying stuff on line

I have a pair still on some skis that I used for one season
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    USPS will not charge a fee if the item is duty-free, but UPS and FedEx will charge just for the privilege of using their brokerage service. Fed and prov taxes will be applied at the counter/delivery, and will be based on the stated value (on a blue moon sometimes the taxes get 'missed' for less costly items).
    This is correct. I looked further back in my PM's and USPS was the cheapest. Also, as of April 1, 2013 sporting goods in general are duty free. So its cost of item+exhange rate+shipping+fed/prov taxes(if levied).
    Not worth it as it probably comes out pretty close to what OP found locally without dealing with shipping and waiting.

Anything I should look for on used hammerheads? Known issues or non-apparent things that will come back to bite a tele jong like me?

They come in large and small. They changed the spring length a few years ago, because the short ones would bottom out and break toe shims(happened to big boot people and knee to ski skiers.) I've never broken any(28.5-29 scarpa), but my brothers broken a few(pre-longer spring. He wears 30.5). Also check that the adjustment tubes thread in and out of the heel tubes. Also, when putting on and taking off, don't just flip the beaver tail, cuz it can snap, especially in cold weather. I just lean over and rotate them on and off. Also, they have stiffy springs available, ask if they have been upgraded. Also, parts are available from 22 designs so issues can be fixed if they arise

Just got back home with a set of hammerheads mounted on rossi E88s.

Thanks for the help, mags deliver as usual (sort of).

Now, gotta figure what to do with the old volkls/targas. Trash can is looking like a good option, I guess. Chalk up that 100$ to a "learning opportunity"

Decoration at the ski chalet?

I memba back in the day HH was hot sheets. Happy you will bees.
    watch out for snakes