Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hot Take on Dogs in the BC

go upside down.

I dunno. I'm sure it depends on the culture / crowdedness / etc where you generally tour. As long as the dog isn't being treated cruelly I certainly don't see any problem with it (although I've always wondered how they manage to not get cut by ski edges), with the usual caveat of "unless you're being an unreasonable dick about it in one way or another."

But pick up your dog's shit, that's part of the deal you make with society when you get a dog.

He are the first and last sentences so you can save yourself the time.

Dog owners—which, it is important to note, I am not—love their dogs.
    Maybe it’s not the dogs that are the problem, maybe it’s the owners.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    He are the first and last sentences so you can save yourself the time.
    The first sentence is "Let's make some generalizations" maybe Bobby could invite her to 17BBI so she could get clued in
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

I don't take my dog everywhere when ski touring but do when no one is around and it's only meadow skipping. Heather sounds like a pretty uptight person, she's based in Seattle so that makes sense. I've had far more negative encounters with people in the backcountry than dogs. Maybe Heather frequents areas rife with other uptight and self absorbed types.

Reminds me of:

I read this poorly worded drivel in the printed version of Powder (a once great provider of stoke). She is a dimwit who should do all of us a favor and STFU.

Most folks are going to have more negative interactions with other humans than with dogs. The bigger issue is whether it's safe for dogs. Very few of us spend the time and effort to train their dogs to stay close but not too close and to return immediately when called, even when they're chasing wildlife. And way too many of us overdo it with our dogs. I've been guilty of letting a dog hurt her paws--not fun carrying a 90# Irish setter down Mt Tallac. This summer hiking I saw 2 dogs who were disabled--one with bad paws and one on Mt Tallac was exhausted. Dogs don't complain and they'll go until they can't. Owning dogs is like driving--we all think we're a lot better at it than we are.

I don't mind someone bringing their dog skiing but when it comes to the down I think they should go last with their dog so I don't run over it

the caretakers dog was killed and eaten by a wolf when they were skiing in the dog friendly trails up at the local xc area
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

... you’ve never come around a corner to a bear-sized Lab bearing its teeth at you. You rarely see a dog in the backcountry on a leash, and if you’re scared of dogs—a strange animal running loose—even if the owner is screaming that Frank is friendly, is a little less than awesome.
    I feel like the people who seem to most frequently experience this sort of thing tend to be a very particular type.

Has Heather considered that perhaps it's not the dogs nor the owners that are the issue and perhaps, just maybe, it's her? I'd bet a nickel she hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Most folks are going to have more negative interactions with other humans than with dogs. The bigger issue is whether it's safe for dogs. Very few of us spend the time and effort to train their dogs to stay close but not too close and to return immediately when called, even when they're chasing wildlife. And way too many of us overdo it with our dogs. I've been guilty of letting a dog hurt her paws--not fun carrying a 90# Irish setter down Mt Tallac. This summer hiking I saw 2 dogs who were disabled--one with bad paws and one on Mt Tallac was exhausted. Dogs don't complain and they'll go until they can't. Owning dogs is like driving--we all think we're a lot better at it than we are.
    This is important to remember. I've been there twice, and I consider myself a good dog owner. Noone is perfect though. If I take my dog skiing or biking now, it is a trip geared toward the dog and I adjust my expectations as such.

Also, if my dog in the outdoors off leash bothers you or ruins your "experience", GTFO, I don't care. Especially around here, just go recreate in the water shed.

I wanna hear from Nacho. What you think of this bitch , Nach?
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Dogshit in the skintrack is my favorite.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I think dogs are annoying as fuck when skiing in the backcountry but I do tolerate it. However, if your dog stands on my ski tails in deep snow while skinning, or comes close to me while skiing down, or shits on the skintrack and you don't clean it up I will stick my ski pole in your eye....Dogs are wonderful critters, but sometimes their humans are morons.

I have 3 dogs so obviously am a fan of canines and like to take them out but there is a time and a place...

Incidentally it's the maggot jeffreyjim in the article pic with his bad ass dog, Tucker
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Has Heather considered that perhaps it's not the dogs nor the owners that are the issue and perhaps, just maybe, it's her?
    A person's experience of reality is usually a reflection of themselves.
    Life is not lift served.

Most unattractive thing said: I don't really like animals.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Dogshit in the skintrack is my favorite.
    ive seen people shit on the skintrack, without the courtesy of a shovel-toss.........

dont be so quick to blame the dogs
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

I'm not blaming them, but with so many selfish owners it's kind of chicken or the egg. Walk around the block in any city in NA and there's dogshit on the sidewalk. Stop by any popular trail head and you can find little baggies full of dogshit waiting for someone (?) to give them a home in the trash.

Amazing how vindictive the comments are in here and below that article considering most of what she says boils down to:

Owners can really suck
    Dogs can get hurt in the backcountry.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Makes own track, has more Avie training then Heather
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    A person's experience of reality is usually a reflection of themselves.
    Ahh, but who wants to look in that mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by HansJob View Post
    I wanna hear from Nacho. What you think of this bitch , Nach?
    Nacho is a gentleman so he would just 'splain to her that It's a Dog's Life. And then he would take her down like at 2:29 in this video.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot View Post
    ive seen people shit on the skintrack, without the courtesy of a shovel-toss.........

dont be so quick to blame the dogs
    This would call for a punch in the face, as a kick in the ass could get my boot dirty.

As a dog owner, I actually agree with the writer. Kind of.
    The legitimate problems she mentions come from ignorant or irresponsible people.
    I wholeheartedly agree that poorly raised and trained and people take away from a good backcountry experience. I wish they would stay home.

For the most part, my dog is more tolerant than me.

some dogs are just a lot more badass than others and can easily tolerate a 6 hour days in the backcountry, although in the case of these two I'm convinced they were part wolf