Skis to replace lhasa pows

I ripped the (ntn freedom) binding out of my 191 lhasa pows yestersday. There was quite a bit of core damage and this was the second mount so I think I am out of luck on a repair/remount. I would like to replace these with something similar and am looking for recommendation, I am a cheap ass with a new baby so used/cheap is preferred.

I am 6'3" 190+ and ski moderately aggressively with an 80/20 BC to lift ratio in WA. I prefer moderate to high speeds and longer radius turns, but spend a fair bit of time in the trees as well. I really likes the lhasa in soft snow where I could make any turn shape with minimal effort but they still have a solid tail to finish a turn. Some firm snow/crud performance is desired as well but that is secondary to pure soft snow. I would also like to stay in the ~9lbs range. What skis should I be looking for that meet this? Bonus points if the dimensions are close enough to the lhasa that I don't need new skins.

Cham 107 or 117. I have demos if you want to try em. (I ski at Stevens and Mission) They are one of the closest skis to the Lhasa on the market.

I started a thread exactly like this, search it. I came to the conclusion the Blizzard Bodacious 193 fits the bill as well as LVS 117 Cham., Bodacious is closer though.

My lhasas are older with white topsheets and really light, not sure what layup they are. The skis I had before the lhasas were a similar sidecut in front and midbody but a wider tail with some rocker, I felt the lhasas were better pretty much everywhere except groomers which were a wash. The flat pin tail gives good support but is still easy to slarve and I can drive the tips as much as I want. I had these mounted tele, but am done with ntn freedoms because they have failed too many times so these will either be outlaws or kingpins. My other skis are Blizzard zero G 95s with TTS for up focused days, but they are not nearly as much fun in pow.
    Both the Cham 117 and bodacious are closer to 10lbs than I would really like but might work, moment governor has the same issue, the 196 is 10lbs and the ON3ps are even heavier. Praxis RX might be a good fit and comes in at 9lbs in 189 but I would prefer less (read no) tail rocker.
    What bindings are on your demos Leavenworth skier? I have NTN boots with tech fittings or alpine boots with 335bsl.
    Are there any demo days where I can try a bunch of options coming up?

Back Country has DPS Lotus 120s on sale for 649 right now, they're a 35 m radius & the Lhasa's have a 39 m radius, they're pretty similar, really
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Dang dude, big foot. Mine are mounted for a 310, not sure the binding will go that big. The Cham 107 2.0 is actually much closer to your Lhasas than the 117 and they weigh around 8lbs. 117 is more like the Lhasa fat. At the very least you can hand flex and mentally masturbate to them.

gpo, but not slarve or slash

Whitedot Ranger/R108 is similar in dimensions and also in the way it skis. The only thing to note is that the tail is proportionately slightly wider on the R108 than on the 186 Lhasa meaning that it is better on firm snow, as in you can feel more of the ski behind the binding but that comes at the cost of losing some of the feeling the 186 Lhasa tail had in powder. Spyderjon, on this forum has had older versions of the R108 for cheap in the past - don't know where he is at with that right now.

I have c. 200 days on the 186 Lhasa hybrid, first and second years and about 15 days on the Whitedots. I am nowhere near the average skiing level on here but am competent.

Look at Moments Exit World a great BC ski, it is light weight due to Moments Lowfat Layup. 118 underfoot for float in the BC and it has Moments Triple Camber that bites like crazy inbounds on groomers and crazy quick in tight trees

DPS L120 or Atomic Atlas

/thread

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    kusala
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Do these other skis recommended change as drastically in characteristics as the Lhasa from 186 to 191? The 191 skis way better IMO.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    kusala
    Werd

I like to call mine KPOWs, skiing with the Batman theme in my head.
    watch out for snakes

Skied 6 inches on top of rain crust on my kusalas yesterday. Outstanding. Not many skis that make that fun.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Do these other skis recommended change as drastically in characteristics as the Lhasa from 186 to 191? The 191 skis way better IMO.
    You make a good point that people who like one length may not find the other as satisfying.

The 191's ski more like traditional skis. It's amazing how much you notice the extra 2mm on the tail. But I think I like the 186's better. Their combination of float, stability and the ability to change direction is still very impressive after all these years. But they are a little "weirder" than 191's.

Is PM gear pressing skis again, last I heard they had closed shop. Of the other skis the whitedot 108 in carbonlite and 195 sounds like the best match for what I want, do they have us distribution with demos? I would love to try a set of lotus 120s if anyone in seattle has demos.

Am I crazy to try and through-bolt my ski with t-nuts, svst sells ones with p-tex caps or I could use cheap stainless ones from mcmaster and epoxy over the back side. I am tempted to try it as the skis are otherwise shot. Has anyone done this to a set of skis?

Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    Is PM gear pressing skis again, last I heard they had closed shop. Of the other skis the whitedot 108 in carbonlite and 195 sounds like the best match for what I want, do they have us distribution with demos? I would love to try a set of lotus 120s if anyone in seattle has demos.

Am I crazy to try and through-bolt my ski with t-nuts, svst sells ones with p-tex caps or I could use cheap stainless ones from mcmaster and epoxy over the back side. I am tempted to try it as the skis are otherwise shot. Has anyone done this to a set of skis?
    I cant comment on replacing your PM skis, but Drew Tabke mounted his Pivots to his GPOs by through - bolting them...

Tabke's skis feature t-nuts planted through the bases for extra security. Similar to a snowboard, these inserts keep bindings from being pulled out, reduce the amount of bindings Tabke has to keep with him, and make tuning easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I cant comment on replacing your PM skis, but Drew Tabke mounted his Pivots to his GPOs by through - bolting them...

Tabke's skis feature t-nuts planted through the bases for extra security. Similar to a snowboard, these inserts keep bindings from being pulled out, reduce the amount of bindings Tabke has to keep with him, and make tuning easier.
    ^^^this!^^^ great advice, if you dig those sticks that much and they're gonna end up in a chair or wall art at the end of the day, why the fuck not! My best bud, BC partner, brotha from anotha (yadeeyadeeyada) is a snowboarder, split 3 boards so far and we've had extensive conversations about shit that snowboarders do that skiers don't and this has been one of them... undertow knows his shit
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    I had to use them one time, they work fine. The ptex caps have a tendency to fall off in my experience.

Hopefully this should hold up, waiting on some slow cure epoxy that had to ship ground to finish the job. Would a base weld hold on top of the stainless or should I just epoxy it and call it good?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161220_140805268.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	670.0 KB 
ID:	195644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161220_140805268.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	670.0 KB 
ID:	195644

Anyone ski a 186 Lhasa and 187 wootest 2.0? I know they aren't the same ski by any means but I'm down a Lhasa (used for touring only) and love my protests for resort pow - wondering if the wootest 2 is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    Anyone ski a 186 Lhasa and 187 wootest 2.0? I know they aren't the same ski by any means but I'm down a Lhasa (used for touring only) and love my protests for resort pow - wondering if the wootest 2 is a good idea.
    I've skied some first gen lhasas and still ski on my wootest 2.0s. I didn't own the lhasas, there were a buddy. About half a day on them for me.

They're pretty different skis both in intent and general feel. My wootests are still my main mid-winter hiking ski. But I use something different in spring corn time. If I just had to have one ski to hike on I'd get something else if spring time skiing is a must have. And not necessarily a Lhasa. I bought some GPOs I'm pretty happy with. That's more general purpose Lhasa-ish
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Thanks kid^
    The purpose of the ski is winter touring - usually for pow but every once in awhile you run into something weird- not shitty but not pow.

I have spring corn, volcano skis.

With all your time on woo2.0, can you comment on differences from the protest? If the woo2.0 skis pow 75% as well as the protest but is more versatile for BC conditions it could be $ for me

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    If the woo2.0 skis pow 75% as well as the protest but is more versatile for BC conditions it could be $ for me
    That's kind of it.

I'll be honest (and this relates to you based on location). You know what it's like to ski fucked up snow in the BC. When it falls as paste and then cools off overnight and ends up smooth but stiff.... When it bakes in the day and gets dense and sloppy... Or when it just hasn't snowed in a while and things are just kind of old settled and rotten...

It does that here all the time. That's what I like the wootest for. The funky shit. I honestly think there are some better straight blower pow skis out there but it's mostly just a surface area thing. But these do okay there too. They are a lot like a protest that just sinks more if that makes any sense. They still have most of the quickness in turns moving with some speed in the trees that the protests do. Just don't buy any used 1.0s if they're floating around. Definitely get the revised ones. Especially if you already have a corn ski.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp