Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Has anyone seen the Nokkian Hakka LT3 in stock this fall? Seems to be on backorder everywhere I've looked. 285/75 R16 specifically.

I've done it both ways.

The reprogram depends on the vehicle. On my Bolt it was a $50 tool and it was super easy to do, took 2min. On my wife's Forester it's a $300 tool so we just ignore the light. Google yours and see if buying the reprogram tool makes sense or not.
    I can reprogram those. Did on my work van in no time. But yeah, they are dumb.

And as for Nokian, I was told that the Nordman design is just the last version of the Hakka renamed. Is that true? If so, then I'll gladly pay ~$100 less per tire for last year's model. But feel free to enlighten me if I'm wrong on that. Something the sales guy told me. And my Nordman7's are pretty darn good in the snow.

Truck snow tires

Looks like the tool to reprogram for a Tacoma is around $200. I don’t see any ill effects of not having Tpms sensors in winter wheels other than the dash light. I’m a little ocd, but that seems like the best option.

Edit: now I’m not sure, seeing reprogrammers on Amazon for $50. It’ll need more Google-ing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Truck snow tires

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Is this a good place to ask about tpms sensors when changing from summer to winter tires and vice versa? I picked up some used steel wheels for cheap so I don't have to pay the tire shop to mount/remount 2x a year (they want $140 for a change over now). Do you ignore the light for the winter? Did you buy new sensors for the winter set, and if so, how do you manage the reprogram?
    Depends on vehicle
    Expensive sensors from tirerack on my volvo would not work, volvo dealer refused to program vehicle for them because even though correct frequency they weren’t volvo oem so I ignored the light.

Jeep, Ford, Tesla - cheap sensors from ebay or similar. Work perfect. May need to setup once but now every swap the vehicle automatically figures out which set are on within a few miles.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Depends on vehicle
    Expensive sensors from tirerack on my volvo would not work, volvo dealer refused to program vehicle for them because even though correct frequency they weren’t volvo oem so I ignored the light.

Jeep, Ford, Tesla - cheap sensors from ebay or similar. Work perfect. May need to setup once but now every swap the vehicle automatically figures out which set are on within a few miles.
    Yeah, after going down the rabbit hole on a Tacoma forum I learned that you buy aftermarket sensors that are programmable/clone-able, and then have the tire shop match sensor ID's from the OEM's currently installed. Then, every season when you switch wheels, the truck just thinks it's the same wheels. I think you just press the TPMS reset button under the steering wheel if you rotate when you switch wheels, and then the truck 'learns' the position of the wheels.

I guess the only real problem with this is if you park in the garage where the summer/winter set is stored. The two sets will compete and cause the dash light to come on, but supposedly that resets after you've driven a mile or so from home.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Has anyone seen the Nokkian Hakka LT3 in stock this fall? Seems to be on backorder everywhere I've looked. 285/75 R16 specifically.

I've done it both ways.

The reprogram depends on the vehicle. On my Bolt it was a $50 tool and it was super easy to do, took 2min. On my wife's Forester it's a $300 tool so we just ignore the light. Google yours and see if buying the reprogram tool makes sense or not.

Prolly gonna be a rough go for any Nokians until they get the business fully operational in Finland after starting to move it out of Russia in the end of June. 80% of their tires were made in Russia including a lot of Hakks.

Ahh, that would explain that.

Nokia has a North American factory in Tennessee. I would guess that’s where all our tires come from.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Nokia has a North American factory in Tennessee. I would guess that’s where all our tires come from.

why don’t you go do some research. Nokian is a Finnish company from Nokia, Finland. They produce 80% of the tires in Russia and 20% of those tire produced are used in the region. The rest were shipped out. But with tariffs and war, that stopped manufacturing in Russia and are moving their plants to Finland. Yes they have a factory in Tennessee but is produces about 10% of the tires. Around a 1,000,000 tires a year and they are trying to double production. But this shitty nonindustrial economy kicks them in the balls at every turn. And all Hakks were made at the plants in Russia.

Curious if there are any Washington west side truck drives with thoughts on snows vs AT all seasons?

Re TPMS, I tried the cheap Amazon Chinese tool and it didn’t work. Got them to send me another, and still no go. I did go with steels and dedicated winters for the chevy, which is the only vehicle of our 3 with the sensors.

As I bought the tires from the local shop and have them do all the mounting for new rubber shoes, they are fine with me coming twice a year to reset the monitors with their fancy unit for free, even though I make the actual wheel swap myself. Not sure if this is common across the industry, but worth the ask and the $500 or so it costs to purchase the proper re-learn tool.

I see Kal Tire (Canada) has the non studded Nokian LT3 in your size in stock
    https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/hak...v4=285&start=1

I had a second wheel set for my (now gone) 2021 Suby Crosstrek that I got from Discount Tire, and I used the TPMS they recommended. At first, it didn't seem to work, but after about 20 miles of driving, they linked up with no issues. YMMV, but I think if you use a shop that knows what they're doing, they'll probably know what to use so you don't have to dick around with re-programming sensors - at least on new(er) vehicles.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    why don’t you go do some research. Nokian is a Finnish company from Nokia, Finland. They produce 80% of the tires in Russia and 20% of those tire produced are used in the region. The rest were shipped out. But with tariffs and war, that stopped manufacturing in Russia and are moving their plants to Finland. Yes they have a factory in Tennessee but is produces about 10% of the tires. Around a 1,000,000 tires a year and they are trying to double production. But this shitty nonindustrial economy kicks them in the balls at every turn. And all Hakks were made at the plants in Russia.
    Those Fins make great cell phones too, hope the current state of affairs doesn’t hurt business.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdad View Post
    Curious if there are any Washington west side truck drives with thoughts on snows vs AT all seasons?
    No west sider needs dedicated snow tires. Studs are laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    No west sider needs dedicated snow tires. Studs are laughable.
    speak for yourself
    snow tires are essential if you travel to snow zones more than occasionally
    i find studs great through transitional zones that we find going up/down thru elevations where we move from mist/rain to glaze to snow
    could i get away without them? sure, i can concede that, but they do perform demonstrably differently from all seasons

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    speak for yourself
    snow tires are essential if you travel to snow zones more than occasionally
    i find studs great through transitional zones that we find going up/down thru elevations where we move from mist/rain to glaze to snow
    could i get away without them? sure, i can concede that, but they do perform demonstrably differently from all seasons
    I am speaking for myself.

You don’t need them but they are nice to have sometimes.

TGR man, all opinions

3rd winter on unstudded Nokian Hakkapeliitta, tread depth says 60% but not getting nearly the same traction. Running them at 30ish PSI on an F150. Had a couple of pucker inducing moments that has me debating replacing them or running them through the winter and get new snow tires next fall. Any better snow tires out there? I wasn't real impressed with these and may go back to blizaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    3rd winter on unstudded Nokian Hakkapeliitta, tread depth says 60% but not getting nearly the same traction. Running them at 30ish PSI on an F150. Had a couple of pucker inducing moments that has me debating replacing them or running them through the winter and get new snow tires next fall. Any better snow tires out there? I wasn't real impressed with these and may go back to blizaks.
    I'm about to order the DMV2 Blizzaks again, they were the best truck snow I ran. I think you pick that or the Hakks and be a jerk about what one is better here.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

It’s not a truck. If it’s 4wd it doesn’t need snow tires…maybe get a forester.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I'm about to order the DMV2 Blizzaks again, they were the best truck snow I ran. I think you pick that or the Hakks and be a jerk about what one is better here.
    I like the DMV2 (on my wife's SUV now). The LT is a better fit if the truck has a higher payload (3/4 ton). Falken AT3W is the best, non-dedicated, snow that I have found. I've sold a f-ton of them and they're on my truck now.

The first post was correct. Get smaller wheels. 18's would be a solid choice.

As to TPMS, Autel (and other companies) make programmable sensors that work for almost every vehicle. You need to buy their tool to program them. Some (most) vehicles are very easy. Toyota and newer GM vehicles are outliers. BOTH have to be programmed with sensor ID's. GM you have to ID the sensors when you rotate tires (super annoying). (Some) BMW and VW/Audi have the best (passive) system, IMO. They just monitor for differences in wheel speed. They should all be that way. BMW pioneered it way back in the mid 90's. So simple, zero hardware.

Oh, those Autel sensors can be had on Amazon for $25/ea. I sell them, programmed for $50/ea. Relatively cheap.

I've got an Autel MS909 and it'll reprogram the TPMS sensors. I'm not really sure how to do it myself, but I'm sure it isn't too hard. I have 5 vehicles nd the only vehicle that doesn't have a tpms sensor lit up is the '01 Sequoia because it doesn't have one. haha

Just put some E rated Wildpeak AT3s on my Tundra w/ camper. Hope to get to try it out in some snow soon, if it ever snows. Ugh.

My work truck has Mastercraft Glacier studless snows that I really like.