Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BC Camera Gear, What do you use?

The title says it all. I'm attempting to get into BC ski photography this season and I was wondering if anybody would be willing to share what they typically take with them on a tour. To narrow it down, lets say that this said tour is only a day long.

I've got an older Pentax K20d that I take out every now and then, but I am looking at switching over to a mirrorless setup.

iphone and DXO One

It depends on what you're willing to carry, to be honest. Personally, I'm willing to deal with the weight of a DSLR because I like the focus system and the quality. Right now my go-to setup is a Canon 70D and the 18-135mm STM lens. It's a great do-it-all lens, and it's a relatively light combination. If I'm going out to shoot for something or someone that matters, then I'll take my 5DIII, 24-105 f/4 and 70-200 f/4. That really sucks to carry, though.

Curious to see what folks are using for skiing. Starting skiing with a camera the last couple years. Currently carrying my Canon SL1 with the 15-85 and 70-200 f4. Wishing the camera had a better AF and fps but not excited to add even more weight. The 80D or 7d ii should be superior all around aside from weight. Interesting combination smmokan. Recommendations or thoughts are welcomed.

I have an SL1 too. Hate the autofocus. Video is particularly terrible.

Light as shit though, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

D7200 with Sigma 50-150. Nearly switched to mirrorless but everything I've read says they still struggle shooting action in tough light.

Sony mirrorless.

If it's a quick tour and I don't think there will be a ton of time to setup for pics I take a Canon G16. It does pretty well as long as there is decent light.

If there won't be time constraints then I take a 5d3 and a 24-105. Maybe also the 15mm fisheye since it's small and light. Usually I'd love to have the 70-200 with me but that seems like too much extra weight in the pack.

Cannon s100, but I am just shooting for pics to boor the wife with.

Fuji XT-1 and iPhone

A6000 with 18-105 f4

Canon G16 95% of the time.
    40D + various lenses 5% of the time (most commonly an 18-125mm)

The Panasonic ZS-100 looks freaking awesome and superior to the G16.

I'm guessing G17 gets announced in January.
    Last edited by Summit; 12-06-2016 at 02:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    If it's a quick tour and I don't think there will be a ton of time to setup for pics I take a Canon G16. It does pretty well as long as there is decent light.

If there won't be time constraints then I take a 5d3 and a 24-105. Maybe also the 15mm fisheye since it's small and light. Usually I'd love to have the 70-200 with me but that seems like too much extra weight in the pack.

I've been backpacking with my 5DIII for the past few years thus I was hoping that the extra weight would translate seamlessly to touring. I constantly struggle with weighing the pros and cons of the extra weight...

I ski with a guy who takes a LOT of pictures which he always e-mails me the next day so I don't have to take any, a few years ago a film maker wanted to grab some of his picts so checked out his computer, film maker said " wow lots of great pictures but none of you? "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Light setup: Panasonic LX100 and GoPro4

Heavy: Pentax K-3 w/ 18-35/1.8, 55-300, 15/4, 50/1.4

Really diverse gear that everybody is using, great to hear. Any thoughts on favorite lens for shooting BC?

My kit is basically the Nikon version of smmokan's heavy kit, but many times I leave my 80-200 home and just bring a 24-120 with me. I feel like I get pretty good coverage with that unless I know I need the extra reach of the 200mm, or want f2.8 instead of f4 for some reason (and I'm definitely not good enough to reliably hit focus on anything at 2.8, let alone something moving).

I'm toying around with just getting 35mm and 85mm primes and bringing those since they are so much lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    I'm toying around with just getting 35mm and 85mm primes and bringing those since they are so much lighter.
    Lighter and even better image quality
    Snow? Snow.

I'm all in. Full frame dslr with either a 24-70mm or a 70-200mm. Sometimes with an extender. That's a heavy kit. But consider the weight to be an acceptable consequence.
    I only carry one lens and commit to the strategy (wide, or zoom). I hadn't thought about switching lenses as it takes time, and I am not squared away enough to recognize the best angle and focal point yet.

I saw 7D II mentioned. It's bomber. I have 5D IV but kind of want the 7. It's the best sports camera behind the 1D something something. Demoed at a trade show and it shoots like a million frames a second. The cropped frame gives you tremendous range (200mm becomes 320).
    Last edited by Skirotica; 12-07-2016 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Details
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Sony rx100 or Sony A7ii. Miss the autofocus of the Canon7D but slowly getting used to the Sony.

Using Canon glass with adapter

Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post
    I saw 7D II mentioned. It's bomber. I have 5D IV but kind of want the 7. It's the best sports camera behind the 1D something something. Demoed at a trade show and it shoots like a million frames a second. The cropped frame gives you tremendous range (200mm becomes 320).
    I've been considering picking up a 7DMII, apparently the weather proofing is the equivalent of the 1DXMII. And the FPS is stupid high
    Snow? Snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post
    I'm all in. Full frame dslr with either a 24-70mm or a 70-200mm. Sometimes with an extender. That's a heavy kit. But consider the weight to be an acceptable consequence.
    I only carry one lens and commit to the strategy (wide, or zoom). I hadn't thought about switching lenses as it takes time, and I am not squared away enough to recognize the best angle and focal point yet.

Sounds like what you need is a used 1d3. Pro level AF, 10FPS, 1.6 crop, pro level weather proofing. I just happen to know someone who has a used one for sale for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Sounds like what you need is a used 1d3. Pro level AF, 10FPS, 1.6 crop, pro level weather proofing. I just happen to know someone who has a used one for sale for cheap.
    If I didn't just buy a mark IV I'd be down.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

BC Camera Gear, What do you use?

7D, 11-16 2.8, 17-50 2.8, 70-200 2.8

Dakine Mission Camera or Fstop for bigger days

Bigger question for me is what 25L sized bag do you guys like for front/slackcountry? The Dakine is a simple size, but falling apart after a few years. I like how it opens on the back...easy to swing off and open in the snow.
    Last edited by Tap; 12-08-2016 at 10:32 PM.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do