Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Heh heh. Wife and I both have Podiums. And we have Snowshoe.
    No idea if the "linear to progressive" leverage curve is working for or against us when we tune shocks.
    I do know that the CCDBACoils squeak like motherfuckers. And I have zero idea how much travel I use since I don't get a cute little O-ring like I do on an air shock. I do know that the bike feels like magic! So there's that. And Windrock is on the table now that Neko's shuttle is running!

I'm going to suggest something that's a little crazy.

So bear with me.

Take your spring off and clean the ends.

Don't tell me for a second that podium doesn't feel better on high speed chatter compared to your air shocked trail bike. It's not just the amount of travel doing that. That's smooth delicious coil magic.

scrublover officially hates us now
    Last edited by kidwoo; 12-09-2016 at 12:38 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Whats the word on the Vivid air shock?
    '
    Junior has kacked the Vivid on his Nomad twice, he is only about 170 so do they have reoccurring issues ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I'm going to suggest something that's a little crazy.

So bear with me.

Take your spring off and clean the ends.

Don't tell me for a second that podium doesn't feel better on high speed chatter compared to your air shocked trail bike. It's not just the amount of travel doing that. That's smooth delicious coil magic.

scrublover officially hates us now
    pffft! i love you guys! i've had springs on some past bikes, but for me/mine/the local shit/the minimal amount of vert i deal with...air works fine.

best pedaling bike i've personally had was the corsair 5" trail rig. linkaed single piv with an idler setup inline with the main pivot. was fucking fantastic. except...it was a tank, and the QC/durability was...less than stellar to put it politely. i think there are some very good reasons they died.

IMO, if one of the big companies threw their weight behind something like that it could be fantastic.

pretty sold on a scout. have a couple dealers within an hour of me, will see if they have a small or med in for me to eyeball fit. hell, i only need the alu versions to check that. the ST angle numbers are thowing me off. not sure if i should go small or medium. at that price, i want to be a little more sure.

or, go another direction and have WaltWorks build m a custom frame. would be less $$$$ than teh carbonz, and i've always gotten along well with SP and linkaged SP bikes in the past...
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    or, go another direction and have WaltWorks build m a custom frame. would be less $$$$ than teh carbonz, and i've always gotten along well with SP and linkaged SP bikes in the past...
    This gets my vote. Custom WW full squish.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    This gets my vote. Custom WW full squish.
    Does he do custom curve and anti-squat? Looks like he does custom rear end, or uses Ventana rear ends. Wonder what drives that?

I can't really find the bike that does everything I want. I've always liked the idea of a custom steel bike, but don't really want to drop the coin on a custom hardtail. Custom geo FS would be tits as long as the suspension wasn't poo. WW would be quicker turnaround than Starling, but I'd want to know it wasn't going to be a noodle.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

You would have to contact Walt to get his exact numbers, but form looking at his pics it's going to be under 100% AS as the main pivot is below the chainline. As he is doing full steel custom rear ends he can change that, his first FS frames were using a Ventana rear end. The rockers are still Ventana so you're getting a nice progressive LR.

The beauty of everyone running 1x is that it negates much of the reason why the VPP/DW style short links are used.

woo, what does linkage say about the Flux?

Pretty much going for a Scout in the medium flavor-way.

Thanks to all for the thought provoking material. No, seriously.
    It's way more than I geek-out about my suspension normally, but has made me think a few things over.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    woo, what does linkage say about the Flux?
    Toned down version of an rfx. I just used a picture so not real life measurements (just like all the runs on that linkage blog).
    Not exact but should be close.

Name:  flux_vs_scout.JPG
Views: 862
Size:  79.7 KB
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Toned down version of an rfx. I just used a picture so not real life measurements (just like all the runs on that linkage blog).
    Not exact but should be close.

Name:  flux_vs_scout.JPG
Views: 862
Size:  79.7 KB
    So, is there a way of explaining what that graph means? To a lay person. Aka, to the vast majority of mountain bikers.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    So, is there a way of explaining what that graph means?

Yes.

Sounds like Guerrilla Gravity might have a short travel ripper in the works. A mini Megatrail would be pretty badass.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Sounds like Guerrilla Gravity might have a short travel ripper in the works. A mini Megatrail would be pretty badass.
    The kilotrail would be a pretty good name.

For jm2e:

http://www.vasttech.org/shock-leverage-ratiocurve.html
    (I quit reading at the part under the words 'vast suspension', continue at own risk)

http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/thread...ratios.228427/

Aaaaaaaaaaand just ordered up a new 5010cc v2 frame.

Was really leaning towards the Scout, but a grand off the 5010 frame at Comp Cyclist was a better deal.

I've no issue with unridebru VPP, so have that going for me.

Just have to fix up some spacers for my non-boost Hadley rear hub and rear brake setup.

U go small?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    U go small?
    Ayup. It's still longer in reach and TT than the old frame, by a good bit.

The only issue I've had with the prior model was it being just a bit cramped. This should take care of that without me needing to resort to a tiny stem.

Ran a 70mm on the old version, have a cheap 40mm and 60mm kicking around, so will try those and see how it shakes out in the end. Of course 50mm will end up being the sweet spot, and I'll need to buy another stem.

Looks about perfect