Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Solutions to Iphone Dying From Low Temperature?

My Iphone 6 has died with plenty of battery left when I go skiing I think due to low temp. It just powers off and won't come back on until it warms up later in the lodge or in the car. I had an Iphone 4 and this never happened. I have the phone in a shell pocket in a leather case, so not much warmth. The iphone 4 was in the same place, but had a plastic case. Yesterday, I put a rubber band around the phone with a chemical hand warmer attached to the back of the case, but the hand warmer lost its heat and the phone died. I was at crystal and temps were in the 20s.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? Solutions? I really need the phone to work all day to communicate with family and friends on the mountain, thanks

Fart on the phone.

Umm, put it closer to your body? I never had this prob w 6 or 7....
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Neoprene beer coozy, comes in handy at the bar too

I've had it happen, because I use to keep it in an outside pocket for accessibility.

This year I'm keeping it close to my body with a hand warmer and using a Apple Watch 2 to screen the incoming calls, texts and emails.
    I love the watch for riding a bike.

Change the handwarmer more often?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by dump View Post
    My Iphone 6 has died with plenty of battery left when I go skiing I think due to low temp. It just powers off and won't come back on until it warms up later in the lodge or in the car. I had an Iphone 4 and this never happened. I have the phone in a shell pocket in a leather case, so not much warmth. The iphone 4 was in the same place, but had a plastic case. Yesterday, I put a rubber band around the phone with a chemical hand warmer attached to the back of the case, but the hand warmer lost its heat and the phone died. I was at crystal and temps were in the 20s.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? Solutions? I really need the phone to work all day to communicate with family and friends on the mountain, thanks
    Mine did this. Even getting it out of my pocket on a hike on a chilly day.

Apple replaced it and now no issues skiing other than any other phone.

Mine does this (6 as well). My solution so far has been to put it in an inner pocket and never get it out when it's cold, but it's a pain in the ass. My kid texts me when I'm riding the chair and by the time I've replied the phone is dead. And this is in Tahoe where it rarely goes below 20F.

My wife has the exact same phone purchased at the same time and hers is fine in the cold.

CaliBrit, were you still covered by warranty or applecare when they replaced it?

Mine did this and I noticed also that the screen was starting to separate (presumably resulting in greater heat loss than usual). Check your screen around the edges to make sure it isn't delamming?

Since I now have a new, non-busted iphone (6s), I haven't had that issue. I also tend to keep it in a chest pocket on a base or mid layer.

My 5c does this, keep in an interior pocket close to my body to prevent it now.

Sounds like a hardware (battery) defect on certain phones. I live by an Apple store so I'll go in and see what they say. There are a few threads on the apple forums describing the same problem. My phone is out of warranty, but from what I read I may be able to fix the problem by having them replace the battery. I'll report back after going to the store.

I got the life proof battery case for winter. Heavy but solved the issue for me. Only use in winter
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

having the same issue. worked fine last year in cold and this year loses power quickly or shuts down when it is showing 30-40%. Happens in milder temps too ~40-50, but worse when colder.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    CaliBrit, were you still covered by warranty or applecare when they replaced it?
    Warranty, zero cost.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    having the same issue. worked fine last year in cold and this year loses power quickly or shuts down when it is showing 30-40%. Happens in milder temps too ~40-50, but worse when colder.
    Yeah yours is fucked too, get it replaced. Exactly what mine did, then no issues after replacement.

Mine has been horrible for this, sometimes dying prematurely in 50F temps. I believe the recall is for 6s models made in sept/oct 2015. Mine falls in that and my new battery is on order. Hopefully it fixes things.

Samsung phone, but I keep mine in a magpul case, in a ziplock snack bag (you can use the touch screen through the bag), in a chest pocket on my long underwear layer. Never gets cold.

Also, if you have poor cell service where you ski that can drain a battery fast.

Also, Lithium batteries wear out faster if you let them discharge fully. Try to charge them whenever you can, there is no benefit to letting them fully discharge, unlike the old nicads.

Heavy duty case can help

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    Mine has been horrible for this, sometimes dying prematurely in 50F temps. I believe the recall is for 6s models made in sept/oct 2015. Mine falls in that and my new battery is on order. Hopefully it fixes things.
    Wow, had no idea there was an official recall for this issue. I've just been dealing with it... for anyone else, you can enter your serial number on this site to see if you're eligible for a replacement:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone...ectedshutdown/

if u don't use it & it can't die

Can always just put it in a sock in an inner jacket. Sock can be used to wipe away moisture from snow flakes too.

Tuck up sleeve under base layer next to skin, Velcro cuff. Literally can not feel it's there to the point of a where the fuck is my phone moment.
    That Don't Make No Sense

Solutions to Iphone Dying From Low Temperature?

Use foot warmers with the adhesive sticker on them. Put them both on the back of the phone away from the camera lens. Done.

I've been having this issue and my phone is eligible for the free battery replacement (it's out of warranty). Certainly worth checking to see if it applies to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfever View Post
    Tuck up sleeve under base layer next to skin, Velcro cuff. Literally can not feel it's there to the point of a where the fuck is my phone moment.
    This. Exactly this. Works great. That said, I'm gonna make an appt at the Genius Bar and see if I can make a new phone happen.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?