ISO: Touring boot for the wife that can handle a wide calf

Today struck out at Christys sports...

Looking for a touring boot for the wife and found that Christys is NOT the place to look... heading to Bentgate tomorrow for a better selection.

But while waiting on that I figured I'd ask and see what you all have done for your better halves or yourself (if you are that better half).

Details: She was fitted today at in a shell size of 23.5 (6.5 shoe size with c width), with ~100mm last, emphasizing comfort.

Ordered a couple of boots on STP because no-one seems to have them in her size.

Scarpa freedom SL - 24.0 and 24.5 (Drove to STP in Green Vally and tried on the 23.0 and HOLY SHIT... do Scarpas run small because she could barely get her foot in).

Also STP had a Dynafit Mercurys in a 24.0 so I threw that in the order to see if it fits (thinking it will be too large if Dynafits are true to size)...

I am open to other suggestions... Fire away.
    Last edited by SkiLyft; 12-03-2016 at 09:47 PM.

You shopped in Boulder and didn't go to Larry's?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Nah, was in Denver only... but what is this Larry's you speak of Thom?

Ah! I should have known there's a Christy's in Denver as well as in Boulder.

Larry is da man (no affiliation, other than being a happy, long-term customer). He's on the West side of Folsom Street just North of Arapahoe, and across the street from McGuckin's hardware (http://www.larrysbootfitting.com/faq.html).

As someone said in another thread, be prepared to spend some time. It gets crazy there this time of year, but if you walk in with a laid back attitude, the time will fly and you'll likely make a few new friends.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    (Drove to STP in Green Vally and tried on the 23.0 and HOLY SHIT... do Scarpas run small because she could barely get her foot in).
    Not exactly, Scarpa's sizing is different than most companies' - a 23.0 is the same as a 22.5 for Scarpa, not a 23.5. Bentgate should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Ah! I should have known there's a Christy's in Denver as well as in Boulder.

Larry is da man (no affiliation, other than being a happy, long-term customer). He's on the West side of Folsom Street just North of Arapahoe, and across the street from McGuckin's hardware (http://www.larrysbootfitting.com/faq.html).

As someone said in another thread, be prepared to spend some time. It gets crazy there this time of year, but if you walk in with a laid back attitude, the time will fly and you'll likely make a few new friends.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Good to know- if we strike out we might head there!

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Not exactly, Scarpa's sizing is different than most companies' - a 23.0 is the same as a 22.5 for Scarpa, not a 23.5. Bentgate should be able to steer you in the right direction.
    This makes so much sense- I assumed the boots were just broken up differently!

Best of luck. In my opinion, there isn't really a great touring boot on the market for a woman with large/low calfs and a 6.5 foot. If she doesn't have a particularly large calf, a boot with less forward lean and a heel lift might work instead of trying to "punch" the calf, which would open up your options a bit.

Random (tired) thoughts:
    My girl skis the 23.5 Atomic Backland with the calf blown out. She'd prefer something stiffer and burlier, but you have to buy what fits the best. The Backland had the best combo of length, width, heel hold, stance/cuff alignment, and calf changeability we could find. YMMV.

None of the Dynafit boots (excepting the Radical, which she hasn't tried) accommodate a large calf and any attempt to make space back there would interfere with the walk mechanism. The 23 Cochise 105 W/Zero G is pretty voluminous (3 finger shell fit for my wife with tons of width) with a weird stance, but might work for yours if she's into a comfort fit and doesn't have a particularly large Q angle. The Scarpa Freedom in a size 22 was tight in length but still had a huge heel pocket; I'd imagine the 23 has an even more cavernous heel.

When we asked them about it, Bent Gate didn't seem to have much experience blowing out the calf of touring boots for women. I would go elsewhere for bootfitting, personally. But they did have the Backland and Cochise in a 23 last time we were there.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 12-04-2016 at 12:05 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Any of them

I'm serious. there are not yet enough touring boot options to get the one that fits you (unless you hardly tour). Just get the ones that have the weight / features you want. This is especially true with women's touring boots. Granted, it is harder to add calf room to some of these carbon backed boots, but a heat gun, tapered pvc pipe and a custom liner can do wonders.

Unfortunately, XavierD is right. You don't have that many choices and the likelihood of finding one that's perfect out of the box is about nil.

Fast 'n Light: TLT7 or Backland W. - Midweight: Gea/Gea RS, MTN Explore W, Sparkle. - Charger/Crossover: Cochise 105W/Zero G W, Lange XT Free Tour 110 W. There are a few other possibilities if you don't need tech fittings.

Most cuffs and liners can be tweaked or lowered for more calf room, pretty much all forefoot widths can be widened.

Be thankful she's not a true 22 mondo . . .

Add the Scarpa F1 W to the fast and light list . . .

Fit the forfoot and heel pocket, and get the features you want, THEN trim the cuff down to fit her "Athletic Calf"

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Best of luck. In my opinion, there isn't really a great touring boot on the market for a woman with large/low calfs and a 6.5 foot. If she doesn't have a particularly large calf, a boot with less forward lean and a heel lift might work instead of trying to "punch" the calf, which would open up your options a bit.

Random (tired) thoughts:
    My girl skis the 23.5 Atomic Backland with the calf blown out. She'd prefer something stiffer and burlier, but you have to buy what fits the best. The Backland had the best combo of length, width, heel hold, stance/cuff alignment, and calf changeability we could find. YMMV.

None of the Dynafit boots (excepting the Radical, which she hasn't tried) accommodate a large calf and any attempt to make space back there would interfere with the walk mechanism. The 23 Cochise 105 W/Zero G is pretty voluminous (3 finger shell fit for my wife with tons of width) with a weird stance, but might work for yours if she's into a comfort fit and doesn't have a particularly large Q angle. The Scarpa Freedom in a size 22 was tight in length but still had a huge heel pocket; I'd imagine the 23 has an even more cavernous heel.

When we asked them about it, Bent Gate didn't seem to have much experience blowing out the calf of touring boots for women. I would go elsewhere for bootfitting, personally. But they did have the Backland and Cochise in a 23 last time we were there.
    Sounds like you were in the exact place we are... its a bit disheartening for her because she feels like no one cares about her specific build. The Cochise didn't work, she did not enjoy the fit.

If I remember correctly the atomic backland was 98mm underfoot but if it is working for your lady maybe we will track down a pair to try on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Fit the forfoot and heel pocket, and get the features you want, THEN trim the cuff down to fit her "Athletic Calf"
    Yep!

We will be doing some heavy modifications to this boot!

Be thankful she's not a true 22 mondo . . .
    Haha

We would be fuqed.

If I remember correctly the atomic backland was 98mm underfoot but if it is working for your lady maybe we will track down a pair to try on.
    I think they have them at BentGate. Not sure the difference between the Backland and Backland W; both come down to a true 22, so I would go with the Backland because it's likely stiffer. Don't be skeered by the 98 last; you can easily punch for width. The calf is easily moldable, too, since the upper is Grilmid.

We do need to change the forward lean, though. Even with the calf punching it's way too much for her. Thought about machining a new walk-mode bar, but I think we're gonna try re-drilling the walk mechanism further up the spine instead because re-riveting a new bar in place looks tough. I might buy a second pair to frankenboot for her: remove the flimsy plastic on the upper and re-rivet from a race boot, stiffer tongue dremeled to fit, etc. She doesn't need/want a boot that light but nothing else is close to fitting.

It is very disheartening, and I would guess there are MANY women who need that boot. Size 6.5-7 womens is pretty average.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 12-04-2016 at 12:39 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Euros don't believe women have calf muscles or go touring

So we made our way over to
    Bentgate before skinning ABay this evening!
    Things she liked...
    Salomon MTN explore- great fit in the toe box and heel pocket but the flex was WAYYY to flimsy this might drive a little 80mm underfoot ski but she has a thing for the big ones oh and that liner is thin... which would make from one cold boot ( a intuition powers wrap could help..)
    - Backland W it fit (minus the calf punch) but once again she felt like she wanted a little more power/stiffness
    - 105w zero G... the heel pocket was way too tight here (along with the calf), I know baking the liners will help but she just was not thrilled.
    - scarpa freedom Lt, so we finally put her in a 24, the toe box was a tad small but we decided a punch or two could make it work. The tongue of the liner actually covered her entire shin which was a first, so pretty sure when the boots arrive from STP we will bring them over to Larry's and have him work his magic (I am not comfortable with the punching out boots).

Feel like we are getting somewhere!

Bet she'd like the Lange XT Free Tour, but the smallest size this season is a 24.5 . . .

So we made our way over to
    Bentgate before skinning ABay this evening!
    Things she liked...
    Salomon MTN explore- great fit in the toe box and heel pocket but the flex was WAYYY to flimsy this might drive a little 80mm underfoot ski but she has a thing for the big ones oh and that liner is thin... which would make from one cold boot ( a intuition powers wrap could help..)
    - Backland W it fit (minus the calf punch) but once again she felt like she wanted a little more power/stiffness
    - 105w zero G... the heel pocket was way too tight here (along with the calf), I know baking the liners will help but she just was not thrilled.
    - scarpa freedom Lt, so we finally put her in a 24, the toe box was a tad small but we decided a punch or two could make it work. The tongue of the liner actually covered her entire shin which was a first, so pretty sure when the boots arrive from STP we will bring them over to Larry's and have him work his magic (I am not comfortable with the punching out boots).

Feel like we are getting somewhere!
    You know you can punch the heel on the ZeroG right? Not sure you can do much about the calf though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    You know you can punch the heel on the ZeroG right? Not sure you can do much about the calf though.
    What most people complain about (or feel) on the Zero G/Cochise last is actually the medial midfoot just ahead of the heel. I've punched mine extensively, but be careful (or tell your bootfitter to be careful) as the bi-injection seam splits easily (should still be waterproof if you don't rupture the inner seal) and the plastic is super thin at the base where it joins the sole (nearly blew through mine on the first punch) unlike many traditional boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I would say find the best fit you can for the heel and ankle area, and don't worry about the forefoot. A good bootfitter can make all of these boots wider in the toebox but it's hard to make the ankle and heel snugger without spending $$$ on a new liner or glueing in foam wraps, j-bars, etc. If you have a narrow heel/ankle structure you don't have a lot of great choices, unfortunately - even the "narrow" 98mm AT boots have fairly loose heels; the Scarpa Freedom ankle is extremely roomy.

the Scarpa Freedom ankle is extremely roomy.
    Pretty sure this was why we got the best fit with the freedom

This thread has been very informative, thank you everyone!

you may already be paying attention to this, but make sure the macro adjustments on the upper buckles are in the large position (requires moving the bolt & nut that attaches the buckle to the boot)