Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Awesome! You guys look like such punks, haha! We are lucky to have you around to tell us these stories Tom. Speaking of other trip reports, although it would be a bit of a selfish request of me, I would love to hear a story or two about your Bridger Bowl days. Specifically the Ridge Hippies and assorted characters of the day...Was Turk a contemporary of yours at all? I wish I had a time machine and could spend a few days following you guys around back in the late 70s and early 80's, although a hapless gaper I would be following in those cold smoke contrails.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Fun to read this, thanks for sharing. Missin' the bridgers!

Oh yeah! Turk, Jerry, Pam, Pat Heinz, the whole bunch of us going crazy on the Ridge. Round and round we went!

Really things haven't changed; well a few more folks of course but we aren't constrained by ropes anymore. Some were more "liberal" with boundaries though.

wonder if hippie mike is still around...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Here is a good Bridger story. This is Northwest Passage back when it was not controlled at all! Coombs yelled down to me to take his picture, I had no idea what he was going to do.
    He backed up, skated at the lip and dropped in! He landed, lost a ski and hit the wall in the narrows in a cartwheel. Name:  44546_106889789368794_877045_n.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  61.9 KB
    Crazy!

"Flipper" woulda ripped it.

Thanks for the awesome stories Tom.

Really things haven't changed
    It's a source of great fascination to me, being born in the 1970's myself, that many of the same characters have been up there sliding around Bridger Bowl since before I was born...and in many cases are shredding hard all day every day and still the embodiment of grace, efficiency and pure unmitigated stoke. Fuckin Jerry will still never let me beat him to first tracks on Saddle I have to patiently wait 'till he goes to AK.

In an age of such social materialism, amidst the incessant worship of youth and beauty inherent in ski culture, it is amazing that the same timeless dudes and ladies are still doin' their thing the same way and for the same reasons they have been since bell bottoms were cool. It's such a great example of how to live life you guys have set up there. I think there needs to be a preservation of this history, a book written about it, a documentary, something.

I feel like, nothing, nowhere, and no one has survived and adapted to the intrusion of modernity like Bridger Bowl and it's loyal patrons, many of who's faithful attendance has spanned more decades than most of us have been alive.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Fackin awesome.
    This place needed a thread like this for all us old fucks who are ready for sleep.

That's a sweet shot. To bad he cartwheeled. Prob would of stuck it if the clamp didn't pop

Well said!

Name:  Doug Coombs Blackcomb.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  34.3 KB
    Doug Coombs. I think we were in Blackcomb. I am sorting thousands of slides and it is super fun.

Name:  46110_107951369262636_4894457_n.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  61.9 KB
    Steve Ault entering Heavenly Blue at Bridger Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jungst View Post
    Name:  Doug Coombs Blackcomb.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  34.3 KB
    Doug Coombs. I think we were in Blackcomb. I am sorting thousands of slides and it is super fun.
    holy man... ! That is a sweet picture --

Thank you...
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jungst View Post
    Yes, well arm waving was a bit more popular and necessary I guess! Doug was always on 203-204 slaloms and I raced slalom on 207's that is what those yellow atomics were.

In the late 70's to 90's I was often on 210 GS skis but really liked a 207 slalom for chutes at Bridger or Big Sky.

I probably quieted my hands sooner than a lot of my buddies and Doug certainly did but wow those skis huh?Attachment 194147
    Here I am really waving my arms October '78 top of the Big Colouir. I was on leather low top boots, Ramer bindings and 205 Hexcell slaloms( like you can't get a stiffer ski!)
    Attachment 194148
    1984 The Third Virtue, B Bowl, a little quieter upper body and I'm on 210 Atomic Red Sleds ( a nice soft GS ski).
    Fun stuff! We are lucky today!
    I own a pair of those red sleds. Fun ski for an old 210.

^^^My favorite powder ski at the time. I bought a team stock pair from the Atomic rep in the East known as the "snow bro".
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Ditto on the red sleds. My early 90's Jackson two ski quiver was 205 red sled and 203 4S

All this from a Jong with a Nov '16 join date, what is this place coming to?

This is what keeps me around this insane corner of the innertubs, great stoke from great people new and old. Epic doesn't even begin to describe it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Wow, legendary thread

So good, Tom. Love this thread. Thanks for the stoke and for helping pave the way!

Tom, thank you so much for this. Spent several of my prime ski bum years at Bridger in the mid 90s watching Stump films at night and climbing the ridge during the day. Even had the pleasure of once chasing Doug down the whirlpools on a chance encounter. This thread absolutely made my night.

We miss you, Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    We miss you, Tom.
    The metaphysical giant

Thank you, Tom! Awesome! Especially the comment about how it's still going and going - need to get to MT for some skiing! - Cheers!
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

I miss all you all too!
    The last month was a different kind of trip; a simple colonoscopy just after Christmas led to nearly a week in the hospital and a whole lot of recovery!
    How about a "name that chute?" Photo by my friend Fred in about 1986-7 ish.
    Name:  HiddenTJ-SteppingUp.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  158.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    We miss you, Tom.

I hope they were referring to me as the latter!
    Name:  581050_360831140641323_315390721_n.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  136.6 KB