Scored a NIB Commencal Meta Trail for 90% Off!

I was expecting delivery of a ~$220 Commencal kids bike today. Co-worker comes upstairs 10 minutes ago telling me FedEx just dropped off a large box addressed to me. I go down and find a box that looks way larger than necessary for a 16"-wheeled bike, but figure maybe they use one size box for everything. Open it up to find a Meta Trail V4...in my size! Merry Xmas to me!

OK, obviously I'm not actually going to keep the bike. Pretty hilarious though, and I'm genuinely curious how they screwed up this bad and if they would have figured it out eventually.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 12-01-2016 at 05:13 PM.

Possession is 9/10 of the law.....

I'll give you $440 for it. Thats like...double your money man. No brainer investment.

May not be ethical, but legally you can keep it. Just an FYI.
    https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ed-merchandise

ETA: This is not legal advice. Blah blah blah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Not to lead you down a dark and potentially consuming path...however most company already has this type of mistake adjusted/accounted for in their P&L. AKA...you actually could keep it without making them hurt really. Not like Commencal is a Mom and Pops shop either. Order another kids bike from them and call it great CS.

More of the story please. These are dull days in bicycle news and you've piqued my interest.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    May not be ethical, but legally you can keep it. Just an FYI.
    https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ed-merchandise

ETA: This is not legal advice. Blah blah blah.
    Interesting. The link doesn't specifically address a situation like mine though, where I actually placed an order but was shipped the wrong item that happened to be 10x the value. Even if I do have a full legal right to keep it, ethically it just doesn't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    More of the story please. These are dull days in bicycle news and you've piqued my interest.
    It sounds like the addresses got mixed up on two orders somehow. I got a bike someone else ordered and vice-versa, though the other party is farther away from the warehouse and it will get intercepted en route.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Interesting. The link doesn't specifically address a situation like mine though, where I actually placed an order but was shipped the wrong item that happened to be 10x the value. Even if I do have a full legal right to keep it, ethically it just doesn't seem right.
    Ethically it probably isn't (what would they do if it accidentally double paid or something). But legally you can. Although they are no longer obligated to send the bike you DID order. However, if the company isn't a total piece of shit, and you call and explain the situation. I bet they will pay for the return shipping, send you the correct bike and maybe throw a little something extra in for you. I once ordered 1 BD cam from REI and they sent me a whole set. I called to return and they took it but sent me a $100 gift card.

Fucking lawyers.

Hey Dan, send me the exact sku/product number you ordered. Imma get a dozen.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    I bet they will pay for the return shipping, send you the correct bike and maybe throw a little something extra in for you.
    They're paying to ship it from here to some dude in Scarsdale, NY who ordered it in the first place. If there had even been a suggestion that I pay the return shipping on it I would have told them to fuck off and kept it. My (son's) bike was intercepted en route and redirected back to me. They're going to send me a T-shirt for my troubles (seriously). Remind me why I have principle's again?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    They're paying to ship it from here to some dude in Scarsdale, NY who ordered it in the first place. If there had even been a suggestion that I pay the return shipping on it I would have told them to fuck off and kept it. My (son's) bike was intercepted en route and redirected back to me. They're going to send me a T-shirt for my troubles (seriously). Remind me why I have principle's again?
    Missed customer service opportunity on their part. Handled correctly they could have had a customer or two for life. Now what are the chances you buy from them again, or recommend them to somebody?

Should've held it hostage until they promised something better than a shitty (Commencal, I assume?) shirt. That's not even worth your time to ship it for their screw up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.