Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Ajax was skiing like that storm we got in the 1st week of feb last year. deep as fuck. I went into Pandoras a few times and it was even deeper. good fun.

Big day yesterday. No complaints. We capped it off with a run down Zaugg at 3pm. Still blower:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1 (1).JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	195470

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1,010.4 KB 
ID:	195471

second rec for Jim Lindsay at Highlands. Knows his boots, and can look at the shape of your foot and cross off most brands immediately.

Plus Jim's a super nice guy running his own store.

Jack Rafferty is also really good, but he works out of Aspen Sports, which is now owned by VR.

Chris Saladino is also good, i don't know where he's at this year, but I have his number.

Hanging valley glades opened today, plenty of rocks but where it opens up it was knee deep.

Brought out the Nikon for the sunshine at Highlands. Plenty of deep snow to be found:

Name:	DSC_4869.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	195486

Name:	DSC_4818.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	811.8 KB 
ID:	195488
    Last edited by Dr. Scientist; 12-18-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Highlands is still skiing well, and should for another day or three. I didn't stop to shoot this weekend but threw a gopro on the head... not a lot of footage as the best turns the camera was caked with snow.

I'll edit a few turns together and post tomorrow or something.

I know some like to hate on surefoot, but Austin knows what he's doing over there. We have a handful of good boot guys here.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Is uber a realistic option up there now for to/from airport or do I need to sort out the local taxi scene?

And thanks for the recs on the fitter. I'll try to set something up with Bootech.

It seems like now there are 3-5 Uber drivers in the area. Probably a decent chance, depending on when you're coming in. For Taxis, there's only one company and they're waiting outside arrivals to take you wherever. Pretty straightforward.

If you're in town, the bus (1min walk from arrivals) will likely get you within a few minutes walk of where you're going, if you want to roll cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    It seems like now there are 3-5 Uber drivers in the area. Probably a decent chance, depending on when you're coming in. For Taxis, there's only one company and they're waiting outside arrivals to take you wherever. Pretty straightforward.

If you're in town, the bus (1min walk from arrivals) will likely get you within a few minutes walk of where you're going, if you want to roll cheap.
    Only one taxi, High Mountain, but CME picks up at the airport too. I don't know how much Uber is, but a taxi will run $20-25.
    I hate CME/VR for personal reasons. They have their shills directing you to shinny new Suburbans and Sprinters for $15. But they don't tell you that's PP and you have to wait for them to fill the van and then drop off at every single hotel first.

The buses aren't set up for luggage. But if your a mobile unit and have your shit together, they're an option.
    I cruise on with a double roller and a backpack all the time and have never had a driver say anything that wasn't nice.

oh yeah, i forgot that the bus hit the airport too. I have used it mountain to mountain plenty, and plan to do so this time around, but forgot the airport option. We travel light, so that won't be a problem.

We are staying in Snowmass, but will hit town for eats and drinks, and at least one day to ski at Ajax or Highlands.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Agreed, bus is a good (and free if you're in Aspen/Snowmass) option if you're close to a stop and/or don't have a ton of luggage.

Uber base fare will be cheaper than HMT but they'll crack you if it's busy (surge pricing up to like 4x) or if you get an SUV ($35 minimum last time I got one).

Uber is the way to go. Caught one dv the other night. 32 dollars. Would be a 65 taxi ride.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Uber is the way to go. Caught one dv the other night. 32 dollars. Would be a 65 taxi ride.
    impressive!

UBER IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION! They only are around after midnight-3 am. And to the best of my knowledge, they aren't even supposed to be operating here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    bootfitter recommendation in the area? I have boots with about 20 days on them (2 seasons for me), and one has never really been comfortable. On the right foot, the inside of the ankle bone gets a lot of pressure and gets sore after a few days. I need to either get something done to get them comfortable or suck it up and buy some new boots.

I'm coming that way January 4.
    for simple fix go to surefoot in Aspen or Snowmass. Chances are Jim will not be able to fit you in on short notice. Crew at the aspen store is very good this year.

January's the new kid kid on the block! How bout the 10 days???

Finally a touch of sun to start off Friday

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	197150

conditions are so freaking good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    conditions are so freaking good right now.
    Yesterday on Aspen was all time, with maybe 100 people on the hill. It was crazy.

What a January.. I've been bad about going out to shoot and about posting when I do..

Name:	_34A4006.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	198189

Another 7-9" reported, but we have that at my office near the airport.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

unreal how good it has been, right up there with 07-08. today was just stupid... fresh snow everywhere, sunny, and like 10 people skiing.

idk if its just me, but it seems like there are way less people on the hills right now compared with the last few seasons. I saw maybe, maybe 3 other people up top when I was lapping HVW and ladder areas this morning

i ain't bitching tho
    Last edited by winecabin; 01-26-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Yeah that was us. Nice to get a couple days back in the old hood.

For those willing to hike the reward was untracked. Single digits thinned the herd...which may have been over at X-games.

Nothing a little hot chocolate and Rumpleminz by the fire couldn't cure

Skiings good and
    Nobody out.

Best January I have been able to take part in out here. So many Monster drinking college kids for these damn X games.