Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Roaring Fork Valley Stoke Thread 16-17 edition

Winter is a bit late to show up this year, but the skiing is starting to shape up quickly.
    Front pager on ADN
    Name:  image001.png
Views: 1389
Size:  381.4 KB
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

congrats on the cover shot, GR! Saw some lady hit a giant cow elk on owl creek where you guys were doing work this summer and thought about you.

Nice shot!
    Copper?

Hanle called me from the Gondi to gloat.

Always great to have T to B's back in play but we've got a long way to go. Looks like some nice potential early next week.

Got my flight booked for Feb 3rd! Leave some Pow for me.

Two days on the hill and one day on the touring gear. Good to get things going again!

I think we'll have a bunch on Ajax open by this time next week so long as one of these storms produce over 6".

Top needs another foot to be continuously groomed.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Anyone got any maggot approved lodging reccs for Feb 3-7? St Moritz is my backup plan.

Mt. Chalet has a really good location and includes breakfast.

hopefully home team bbq smacks some sense into the hickory house folks- sampled some of their food last night and it makes hickhouse look like cafeteria fare.

I have heard really good things about the food but that Inn at Aspen space is a tough gig. Hopefully they can make it work!

agreed, strange location. they'll be doing delivery though which is huge and it going to be pretty inexpensive. owner said they're gunning for the local crowd, so we'll see

For those of in Burlingame/AABC it will be a nice alternative. The Irish place didn't have a cohesive draw; I could see myself hoping on the cruiser and grabbing beer/tacos come spring/summertime. Slow Groovin' going into SMV as well; BBQ takeover.

Big weekend ahead. G2-G8 coming online, new snow, got the wife new skis. December is delivering!

Well... we kinda got skunked, but it was nice to be up in the Bowl yesterday. Plenty deep with the wind howling over G5 at 1:30 yesterday. Ajax today with a crew of lady shredders, wishing we'd woken up to 8-10"

Ajax was excellent today.

Quote Originally Posted by winecabin View Post
    hopefully home team bbq smacks some sense into the hickory house folks- sampled some of their food last night and it makes hickhouse look like cafeteria fare.
    i have heard nothing but great things about this place.

Roaring Fork Valley Stoke Thread 16-17 edition

Yesterday was a sleeper...

Would have it been better if the forecast was correct.. yes, but it was great. Highlands from the old return road up was on point... still have to look for deadfall though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2715.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	590.9 KB 
ID:	194951
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I had dinner at the new BBQ joint tonight; it is legit.

snowmass is rough right now. a couple trails under the burn chair are skiing good but the burn itself is so fkn thin. massive protruding jagged rocks everywhere

This is turning out to be one of the worst starts i have seen in a long time. Forecast of 2-3 for this week turned into 0". They just cancelled the winter storm warning for tonight.

It is 40 and raining off and on.

Ice skating down Mill could be PRIME tomorrow morning.

ROARING FORK VALLEY STOKE THREAD 16-17 EDITION

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    I had dinner at the new BBQ joint tonight; it is legit.
    hm sounds interesting

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Yesterday was a sleeper...

Would have it been better if the forecast was correct.. yes, but it was great. Highlands from the old return road up was on point... still have to look for deadfall though.
    Jealous. I caught one of the last buckets at 3:27 and skied so-so in Christmas Tree and rough crud through Glade 3.

I'll be out tomorrow with a crew in the afternoon and Saturday should be fun at Ajax.

bootfitter recommendation in the area? I have boots with about 20 days on them (2 seasons for me), and one has never really been comfortable. On the right foot, the inside of the ankle bone gets a lot of pressure and gets sore after a few days. I need to either get something done to get them comfortable or suck it up and buy some new boots.

I'm coming that way January 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    bootfitter recommendation in the area? I have boots with about 20 days on them (2 seasons for me), and one has never really been comfortable. On the right foot, the inside of the ankle bone gets a lot of pressure and gets sore after a few days. I need to either get something done to get them comfortable or suck it up and buy some new boots.

I'm coming that way January 4.
    I would say Jim Lindsay up at Highlands gets a lot of good rep - http://www.bootech.net/index.html

TWENTY INCHES OF NEW when the lifts start spinning this morning. WOW. And I was hoping we at least got a taste of the storm this time! Caught the afternoon at Ajax yesterday and it was excellent (though I blew out a ski on the Shoulder...). Headed back today; me: Blue Jacket/Black pants/Blue Volkl Ones/Neon Black Crows poles.