Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home Receiver Advice

I know nothing about this stuff and figured I could get a whole pile of opinions here..

I recently purchased a home and the previous owner left behind some existing equipment I would like to use. The items I have are: a Bose Acoustimass SE-5 Speaker System, A Rosssound Impedance Matching Speaker Selector and a set of Outdoor Bose speakers on a covered porch. The acoustimass system is located in the family room, where the television is located. The two speakers are wall mounted and the wires are run through the wall to them. The Same for the speakers mounted outside. There are two other sets of wires that run to different rooms that do not have speakers currently. All speaker wires are coming out of the Rossound. Right now, what I would like are suggestions on a receiver so I can hook this system to both my television and stream music from an apple device. Currently I have a television, cable box, appleTV and use a playstation as blueRay player. Additionally, could a sound bar be used in conjunction with the new receiver to improve the sound quality while watching television? I realize these are older components but I would like to use what I currently have and upgrade as I learn more about this stuff and can customize it to me y needs. Thanks!

budget?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    budget?
    Under $400 if possible

I've had good luck on the value end with Onkyo receivers. (Something like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TX81....html?tp=59522)

My audiophile neighbor prefers Denon for that price range.

YMMV...you're probably gonna want to dig into the specific model capabilities for each line

Denon for $300? Where? I'll jump all over that shit.
    I still call it The Jake.

I believe all those speakers were 8ohm and so you need an old reciever supporting 8ohms, I would think there are old tech receivers kicking around for next to nothing, when we cleaned out my mothers condo there was an old Marantz which nobody wanted, I would imagine this happens all over America as boomers have to get rid of their parents stuff?

as to how you would hook that into the latest tech ... havent a fucking clue
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Where is the Rosssound unit located?

Nobody wanted a old Marantz reciever? Sounds like nobody is paying attention.

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

you gotta find someone to buy it and then wait for them ... who needs the hassle ?

Solid Maple furniture like your mom has/had, beds, big fucking speakers and yes a 100W Marantz all in goo dshape BUT I would suspect there is literaly tons of this shit around cuz you often have to pay someone to take it away so I think we were fortunate to be able to give it to a church group that took it all away for free
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Denon for $300? Where? I'll jump all over that shit.
    Thought he said $400, but here's one for $480, so maybe get one on sale or go a step down or two:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/denon-11...FVKIfgodwZoE6A

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Where is the Rosssound unit located?
    Everything is in the same area of the living room with the exception of the two outdoor speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    I know nothing about this stuff and figured I could get a whole pile of opinions here..

I recently purchased a home and the previous owner left behind some existing equipment I would like to use. The items I have are: a Bose Acoustimass SE-5 Speaker System, A Rosssound Impedance Matching Speaker Selector and a set of Outdoor Bose speakers on a covered porch. The acoustimass system is located in the family room, where the television is located. The two speakers are wall mounted and the wires are run through the wall to them. The Same for the speakers mounted outside. There are two other sets of wires that run to different rooms that do not have speakers currently. All speaker wires are coming out of the Rossound. Right now, what I would like are suggestions on a receiver so I can hook this system to both my television and stream music from an apple device. Currently I have a television, cable box, appleTV and use a playstation as blueRay player. Additionally, could a sound bar be used in conjunction with the new receiver to improve the sound quality while watching television? I realize these are older components but I would like to use what I currently have and upgrade as I learn more about this stuff and can customize it to me y needs. Thanks!
    Run your TV sound through the Receiver. No need for a sound bar. Just center the TV between the Acoustimass speakers.

Hook all peripherals (Cable, Apple TV, Play Station) directly to the TV, then hook TV into Receiver. Switch between sources on the TV. -- This all depends on your TV having a surround sound output, either digital/optical or an HDMI Audio return channel. If you can't do that and you need surround sound get a receiver with at least 4 HDMI inputs and one output (for the TV.) Take the RCA stereo audio output of your TV and hook it back into the receiver in case your cable goes out (like in a storm) and you need to hear the OTA stations.

Of course if the Russound is stereo (2ch) only then none of that matters. Just hook everything through the TV and then run any audio connection to the Receiver. Stereo receivers are also much more inexpensive. This would probably work just fine: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH130.../dp/B006U1VH2S

Add up the average running wattage rating of all speakers (even ones not yet connected - i.e. future purchases) and divide by 2. That's the minimum wattage of the amp part your receiver needs per channel. The Impedance Matching feature on the Russound switcher will protect your Acoustimass from extra juice needed by other speakers you may buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post

Add up the average running wattage rating of all speakers (even ones not yet connected - i.e. future purchases) and divide by 2. That's the minimum wattage of the amp part your receiver needs per channel. .
    That's interesting. With guitar amp speakers 1/2 the total wattage of the speaker(s) would be the maximum watts of the amp, not the minimum. Usually figured the other way around--for a given amp wattage speakers should add up to twice that.

Welllllll.

If you're going to get a receiver, and it sounds like you want surround sound as you're talking about a sound bar for the center, so you'll want a surround sound receiver, and apparently one with second room capabilities which is not rare or unusual, and available in AV receivers from probably $350 and up.

As mentioned before, no point getting a center channel as it should be timbre matched to the other speakers, and honestly, you'll really enjoy getting rid of those Bose at your earliest opportunity and put something (anything) else in there. Inexpensive speakers that really are excellent come from PSB, Paradigm and many others. I have a set of PSB Alpha's and Alpha mini's sitting in my closet that I'd love to take out for a run, but, well, everything else is set up already, and I'm lazy. For 5 ways around, you can go less than $350 used for some stuff that's not even in the same universe as Bose.

Don't get caught up in power numbers. Here's the deal. Typically, when playing at low levels, you're using less than a watt. Moderate levels can be up to 10 watts (THAT'S LOUD), however you can have peaks at 10x the normal (RMS) level, so, if you are doing ear splitting on DSOTM, maybe you have some 150 watt peaks.

Too little power is worse than too much, since if the amp can't deal with those peaks, then it becomes heat in the speaker's voice coil, and it'll be history pretty quick.

Again, most mid priced AV receivers have adequate power, and also, a "just noticeable difference" in sound level requires a doubling of power, and a doubling of sound output requires 10x the power (log scale), so if one receiver has 70 watts, and the other 90, it's not going to have much of an effect.

I also have an Integra 8.9 sitting in the closet that is one MEAN machine, and looking for lightly used stuff is the way to go for you. Marantz was already mentioned as was Denon, and Sony has decent stuff. Look for the aformentioned 2 room capability as well as lots of HDMI in's and outs, as that's the standard for the foreseeable future in connections. Also having internet capability may or may not be something you want to have for Pandora and whatnot.

Keep your eye on Craigslist in your area and get back here if there's something you think might do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That's interesting. With guitar amp speakers 1/2 the total wattage of the speaker(s) would be the maximum watts of the amp, not the minimum. Usually figured the other way around--for a given amp wattage speakers should add up to twice that.
    Per channel, brother. Total wattage of the amp would be 2x average, not peak. Most speakers are rated something like 20W optimal, 40W peak.

Whatever you choose just make sure the dial goes to 11.

Stalk craigslist hard, if you see something you're not sure of copy and paste into a search. I got a $3500 top of the like onkyo for $400.

Go lower end with features and you will be well served, spend $500 on this or shop harder for a sale- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXN5...55.html?tp=179

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Per channel, brother. Total wattage of the amp would be 2x average, not peak. Most speakers are rated something like 20W optimal, 40W peak.
    It's pretty rare to see something that isn't rated for at least 50w, and typically well above that. The danger is getting an amp with too little power so that you distort and send speaker killing sine waves into the speakers. I've used 700w monoblocks into 150w rated speakers, and no issue at all. If you're (typically) using more than 10 watts you can't even go into the room.

Of course there's always efficiency issues, with some speakers being ultra efficient (Klipsh), and some being quite inefficient, but at the mid-fi or lower level, reasonably efficient speakers, with 50-150 watt ratings are typical

Pioneer VSX-831 5.1-channel 5x80 Watt 4K Ultra HD HDCP 2.2 Dual Band WiFi & Bluetooth Receiver

5x HDMI
    32/384 DAC
    Room Calibration
    Fireconnect

$450 & Free Shipping

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15784

Why go with a sound bar for the TV? If you are getting a receiver, get one that will allow the TV audio out to go to the sound receiver and use the existing speakers. Unless you want a sound bar with a nice sub-woofer, you will get a set of small speakers when you have much better set of good speakers already in the room. Only reason a sound bar in my opinion can make much sense is if the TV and the receiver are not going to even be close or in the same room. Could do a wireless link if the TV is in the same room, but not near enough for a wired connection to the new receiver.

Drift: If anyone needs a center channel, I have a B&W LCR60 S3 laying around. Great speaker. I lost the WAF (Wife Approval Factor)

I have seen a ton of nice stuff at record stores too. They sell the old receivers.
    Might be worth a look. Of course, you'll leave with an Technics, or a cheaper Audio Technica, and a pile of records too, so be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    It's pretty rare to see something that isn't rated for at least 50w, and typically well above that. The danger is getting an amp with too little power so that you distort and send speaker killing sine waves into the speakers. I've used 700w monoblocks into 150w rated speakers, and no issue at all. If you're (typically) using more than 10 watts you can't even go into the room.

Of course there's always efficiency issues, with some speakers being ultra efficient (Klipsh), and some being quite inefficient, but at the mid-fi or lower level, reasonably efficient speakers, with 50-150 watt ratings are typical
    It was an example of optimal vs. peak power only... not to be taken literally. BTW, those Acoustimass speakers include this spec: "Recommended Amplifier Power 10 - 200 Watt and 4-8 ohms output."

Now whether or not OP should just chuck them into the trash is a different issue. I hate those things.

Thanks for the info I've got some work head of me.

I am considering a few different options.. Starting over from scratch or just going with a temporary fix to listen to tunes on the porch watching the snow fall..

Thanks for the info I've got some work head of me.

I am considering a few different options.. Starting over from scratch or just going with a temporary fix to listen to tunes on the porch watching the snow fall..
    or c) all of the above. Score some cheap receiver to get tunes at least working while you take some time to plan the proper replacement.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's