Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Evil Bike: The Calling

130 mm out back, 140 up front, 27.5" wheels, 66.4 or 65.8 head angle. 5010/Scout killer?

https://www.evil-bikes.com/products/calling
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I don't know if an Evil bike will work for me (I'm tall (6'4" w/ monkey arms), but every model is SEXY AS FUCK!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Have they gotten their intermittent durability and QC issues figured out?

if so...maybe?

Am looking to replace my slightly too small first gen. 5010 with the new version, or a Scout. This looks nice, but...
    It's nice that both come in alloy models if for some reason the budget doesn't end up supporting carbon.
    Even the Process134 frames would work, though heavier and steeper than I'm after.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

meh, fuck evil, marketing blowhards pushing overpriced hype onto hack riders who dont know any better, pretty much the epitome of all that is wrong with mtb imo

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    meh, fuck evil, marketing blowhards pushing overpriced hype onto hack riders who dont know any better, pretty much the epitome of all that is wrong with mtb imo
    I guess that's the other side of the coin.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I'd love to see how it compares to the Scout, 5010, and Mojo 3. I'm guessing it's not a "killer" for any of those bikes, it's just another option.

For me, it's a little too slack for a 130mm travel bike- I'm a huge fan of the Mojo 3 and 5010 geometry.

What is the 26+ they speak of?

I've ridden the Following, and will hopefully be riding one of these next season. The Following did everything better than my Bronson. This bike looks amazing.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    Haha.. I love this. Definitely some truth in there, but at the same time, some of the best riders I know, who flip bikes like crazy love the shit out of their Evils.

I do have a strange appreciation that a heavy, expensive, single pivot bike can create so many fan bois - frame alignment and shitty hardware issues notwithstanding.

That promo video got me way more fired up about Baldface than the bikes those guys happened to be riding.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post

I do have a strange appreciation that a heavy, expensive, single pivot bike can create so many fan bois - frame alignment and shitty hardware issues notwithstanding.

don't forget luck of the draw warranty service too!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Wouldn't ever consider buying from them until they have at least 2 or 3 model years with no evidence of issues, especially at their prices.

Would get a Scout.

Also is Baldface doing Retallack style bike stuff now?

my LBS sold a few frames from Evil this past season, sounds like they're kinda needy from a service standpoint.

Sexy looking

New Evil Bike: The Calling

Why is nobody talking about the new Flux? Unridable chain stays?

5010 was fun, but not remarkable. Mojo 3 is a little short in the reach. Evil is Evil. I keep landing on the Scout. Carbon is $$$, though.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I keep landing on the Scout. Carbon is $$$, though.

Ain't nothing wrong with no aluminum scout.

flux.......hmm. Better like white. The chainstays on those aren't that long are they? Like right at or just over 17?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Too many red flags with evil. Have they updated their website yet? Or maybe that's on the list for next century. I keep going back to the scout or endorphin. Good deal on the endorphin now. Maybe making room for a carbon endo?

After spending half the summer on my wreckoning, I haver zero desire to ever go back to 26 or 650b wheels ever again.

I do think the calling would be the perfect ride for my wife tho..

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    After spending half the summer on my wreckoning, I haver zero desire to ever go back to 26 or 650b wheels ever again.

I do think the calling would be the perfect ride for my wife tho..
    Does that thing ride like as much bike as it looks? I love my following and the 29'er wheels to death, never feel like I could possibly go over the bars, although I do miss how 650 bikes just fall over so easily in corners and feel a little more lively.

For Evil quality haters, I will say the paint on my Following's rear triangle starting cracking in a few places this fall, apparently an issue with the paint they used for the orange colorway. They're replacing the RT free though. Otherwise they've occasionally been a little loose (sent the wrong size dropper with the bike the first time around) but otherwise pretty quick.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Ain't nothing wrong with no aluminum scout.

flux.......hmm. Better like white. The chainstays on those aren't that long are they? Like right at or just over 17?
    437mm stays on the Flux. Not ridiculous, but a good bit longer than most of the other comparable bikes.

And for whatever its worth, my Following is still doing alright after a year of hard thrashing. The paint still sucks, and the rear end isn't as stiff as it should be. But the only real problem I've had is with the rear shock having a mysterious knock that I can't figure out.

What's the difference between a colorway and just a color?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    And for whatever its worth, my Following is still doing alright after a year of hard thrashing. The paint still sucks, and the rear end isn't as stiff as it should be. But the only real problem I've had is with the rear shock having a mysterious knock that I can't figure out.
    Had the same issue with the rear shock on my wreckoning. Was a defect from rockshox but they dont seem keen to warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Does that thing ride like as much bike as it looks?
    It's a big bike, but after riding it a few weeks I love it for a do everything bike. It climbs better than my nomad and is more fun then my DH bike except for the ultra steep tech gnar. That being said if I lived somewhere with less tech I.E. UT I would be on a following instead.

What's the difference between a colorway and just a color?
    Colorway is the new hipster art gear speak for color.

I'll shoot you my numberway and we can chat.

Listed as 17.2. Not terribly long, but anything over 17 seems to bring out the unridable comments. I'm okay with the chainstays and the color, but I don't like the fact that I can't demo one.

Turners have always flown under the radar for the most part, but I'm surprised that there's been basically zero talk about the Flux. Solid geo and cheaper than a 5010 or Scout carbon frame, and I like the external routing and lack of BOOST.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I've put a but over 2,700 miles on my Following in the past year in some good and some less so..

No issues to speak of, and I slack on maintenance. All it's needed is just a quick check of all 97 bolts in the suspension linkage every month or so.