Thread: AVI bag 45l+

AVI bag 45l+

I am looking for an avi bag that can could serve the same purpose as my deuter guide 45+. The deuter skis great as a ski lift day pack, but can fit everything for a week long tour including sleeping pad and tent.

Imperative
    Have as much red as my deuter

Needs
    1. The back does not bulge out when I over stuff it. The oprey kode for example is notorious for that.
    2. Floating lid with two straps
    3. Light... lighter is better.

Wants
    1. A frame ski carry. I don't care if it prevents the bag from operating while the skis are on it.
    2. Ease of travel, but I dont care much for TSA. I either fly to europe or within Canada.
    3. I prefer something without a sleeping back zipper, side zipper and definitely no full zipper around the back panel(like the kode)
    4. Don't care much for a million pockets and zippers.

Options I am looking at

Mammut & BCA I like the user refillable CO2 catriges... but no floating lid. I doubt I they will match my deuter guide in capacity
    ABS Vario 45+5... Looks like my best choice. Only downside is the lid does not have two straps but I can probally rig extra stuff on the "daisy chain" feature they advertise. Any idea how it compares my my deuter? IATA aproved cannister and plenty of dealers all over the world. 3.3kg with steel cartridge, 3.1 with carbon cartridge FAAAK
    Deuter OnTop Tour ABS 40... Very similar to my backpack. If they would have made it the same size as my backpack it would have been my first choice.
    Arva reactor 40... cool bag, probally small, no mention of IATA compatibility and cannister availbaility is limited 2.60 kg
    Scott 40... prolly small, I like that the cartridges are cheap. 2.9kg
    Battery packs are too heavy and dont have what I am looking for anyways.

FYI I have Mammut PAS Pro 35, which is considerable smaller than my Osprey Variant 37, even if you ignore the floating lid on the Osprey. I'd say the Mammut holds just over half as much as the Osprey. Airbag systems take up plenty of space.

So I talked to the Arva rep today about the Reactor, the airbag system is pretty compact and doesn't take up a ton of volume.
    The Mammut 3.0 system is supposed to be a bit more compact too then the previous version.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Guessing that's where there 5l went on the Deuter OnTop Tour ABS 40. Since the a ABS Vario 45+5 zip on top of the base unit, I wonder if the avy bag system still takes away from the pack capacity.

I have the Guide Tour 45+, maybe a little different from your Guide (maybe yours is the tour too?) , but still really red... I also have the mammut Pro 45 RAS. I've used it a few times now. Not nearly as much room as the GT45, but enough for a day. No way I could fit a multi day winter camping trip in there. 10lbs with full system, BD 300 carbon probe and BD evac 7 shovel, so not terribly heavy. Carries and fits really well. Cinches down small and skis well. Not sure about flying regs... Good luck!

New Mammut 45L RAS 3.0 or DaKine Poacher 46L with RAS 3.0 ??

Yep, I have the guide TOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by LawndartGustav View Post
    New Mammut 45L RAS 3.0 or DaKine Poacher 46L with RAS 3.0 ??
    The poacher 46 looks great. 2.9KG.

Mammut does not have a lid.

Any idea how the back panel is between the Dakine and ABS?Are they solid. Do they bulge out?

any reason why you aren't looking at black diamond?

Heavy, no floating lid, expensive and I really don't need multiple deployments in a day. If I deploy my bag, I have to chill out and go skating.